Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Slotcars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by str8 6 str8 edge, Jun 9, 2009.

1. I still have the slot cars and track that I raced with as a kid (along with my first real car that I kept).......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. junk fiend

junk fiend

hey guys, i love vintage slots too! i highly recommend slotblog.net theirs a wealth of knowledge there.

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

im sorry to say i dont have a clue to where all my slot car stuff went to. hey MOM.... anyway i remember finding a BUNCH of track in a garbage can one day when i was a kid. was riding my bike down the street and there was a can with this track sittin by the curb with the top off and track spillin out onto the street. i stopped and looked inside and saw it was the same as my fiqure 8 track i had at home. picked up can and headed to the house about a block away.(i did ask first). man when i got home i dumpedall that track in my dads garage. WOW it must have been close to 75 feet.took the can back to where i got it and said thank you and ill be damned if he didnt ask me if i wanted more. yes sir!!! he filled up his trunk and his back seat and took me home with it all. my mom hit the roof and my dad said allright!! we put it all together and it run in one big circle around the living room and then down one side of the hall all the way to the end then back up the hall and left turn thru the kitchen and into the rec room the out of there and back thru the kitchen and back to the living room.i also got a drag set that same christmas. it was about 20 ft of 2 car track and 2 rails.for cars.my dad had to buy some more transformers to get the cars to go the distance.atleast i think thats what they were.i was only about 10.after word got out about my track i had more friends than i could count.all wanting to spend the nite to race the cars.that didnt last to long. mom said pick it up out of her house and the was one of the last times it was all together.only on special occassions was it all put back together.but god i loved that track. i do rememeber my model car bodies fit the frames that i run on the track. they were alot bigger than what my friends had. i think they had ho? gauge and my were bigger lol.to this day i dont know where they all went. but now im gonna start askin questions.!!sorry to steal this thread but i brought back so many memories. thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

4. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

If you live near Mishawaka/South Bend, IN this place rocks! http://www.autoworldhobby.com/ It's the guy who use to own Johnny Lightning. It's a killer store that has everything. Even an altered wheelbase Stude HO!!!!

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i used to get autoworld catalogs back in the 70s. had some great stuff.including OSCAR the track cleaner:D

6. I thinktheres a oscar the track cleaner on the bay right now. I think I was looking under "ho slot car tracks" .

7. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

That box of Fords is real nice.

8. [​IMG][​IMG] my 4 by 16 Revell track and some 1/24th cars I've had since I was a kid.So far, none off the bank curve and out the window.

9. The highlight for me around this time of year in the mid-late '60s was getting the Sears "Wish Book" and drooling over the train and slot car sets. Christmas 1967 was a great year for my brother and me - we got an Aurora HO slot car set that replaced a cheapie larger-scale German-made set we got the year before. I think my dad wanted the Aurora setup more than us, and he really went all-out in getting a lot of the cool stuff - cobblestone straights, the stone viaduct overpasses, even a helix setup. I remember going through the instruction manual and looking at the pictures of the cars and trucks you could get, which were primarily '63-vintage like a '63 Galaxie 500 convertible. I think my love for Galaxies started with that T-Jet/Model Motoring set, even though I didn't ever have one. We had a couple of street-type cars like a '69 AMX (my favorite) along with a Shelby Cobra coupe, but by the time we started going to the hobby shops in Omaha the A/FX scene was taking over, so there were lots of Chapparals and such, and even a few street rods. Even had the proverbial 4x8 sheet of plywood in the basement with the combo model RR/slot car setup that was the envy of my friends. Hated the pin/coupler setup of the Aurora track as it was hard to push the sections together and pin them. Adding the Tyco track with an adapter was how we expanded after the old-style Aurora track couldn't be found. It all finally came down in my junior year of high school when dad remodeled and finished the basement. My brother got the slot car set, but hasn't done anything with it.

10. derbydad276

derbydad276

up here in the frozen north we have shops with giant indoor tracks

1/24th scale
    new thing here is 2 shops are holding drag racing nights with upwards of 20 to 50 people showing up
    run what ya brung hope ya brought enough

11. I agree with Yutan Flash......I hated those pins in the track from the early days......recently I started collecting some of the newer stuff that AutoWorld is selling and bought an Aurora display case.......I wish i had some of my old cars from the sixties though.....I remember the "hop up kits" that were available too......many a rainy day was spent racing those cars......back then it was a kids dream to have a race set and some Lionel trains.....we still set up a train garden and I really feel it ads to Christmas!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

They actually have a few catalogs for sale there. God how I loved those catalogs!!!!!!!!!!

13. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Love those sound effects stands , Still have some of my old cars too , and a couple of re-issues . Working on finding a vintage track . My old Aurora H-O set had a "blowout track" section , after a number of laps a flap lifted as you crossed it and threw you off the track , also had some cobblestone sections . All my friends were getting AFX , but my Dad and Uncle were old school so I got the cool old style track and cars . They were the first cars I ever modded LOL

14. Johnny99

Johnny99

DITTO on that. Always used that body when we were running "stock" class racing. Filed the body mounts just a smidge so the body would float just a bit, we seemed to think it helped a bit going into the fast corners:rolleyes:
    Kids, what do thet know. Always wanted that 917 Lemans type car in Gulf colors so I could be Steve McQueen, never got one.

Hope everbody had a great Thanksgiving,
    John

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Nice! I make deliveries to the mall across the way from there every other week. Guess I know where I'm taking my lunch break next time. I'll tell em' you sent me.

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

autoworld had some really cool lightweight lexan bodies. held on with 2 sided tape . man those were the days.......................

17. philo426

philo426

I agree that the AFX Porsches ran great(and still do)! [​IMG]

18. I still have all of my Aurora T-Jet HO slot cars from years ago and a 4-lane track that I set up in the garage once a year (usually after the Christmas tree is moved out of the way). Speaking of the tree, how many of you guys pay homage to your love of slot car racing with an ornament on your Christmas tree? Here's mine on the tree in the garage.

Jim

Attached Files:

19. philo426

philo426

That ornament is really cool!Where did you get it?I have never seen it before.

20. Hallmark ca. 2007. It was around $15.

Jim

Attached Files:

21. philo426

philo426

22. Deuces

Deuces

23. Deuces

Deuces

SC309TASCA-2.jpg SC309COLOR-2.jpg SC309AMX-2.jpg SC309TASCA-2.jpg SC309AMX-2.jpg Just got these off of ebay a couple of weeks ago...

24. Deuces

Deuces

Those are new releases from Auto World...
    Great items for their new ho drag strip sets.....:D;):D

25. Deuces

Deuces

IMG_20151009_172533.jpg IMG_20151011_053247.jpg IMG_20151011_053028.jpg IMG_20151011_053058.jpg Here's a vintage red aurora cheetah that I built for the strip.. It's got the best of everything including wheelie bars to keep the nose down on hard launches...:D IMG_20151009_172533.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This is the only slot car I have left from back in the day, a 1/32 Aurora plastic kit on a metal chassis. Gary
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

But I have started buying new ones, because they are cheaper than diecast, are well detailed and lots of classic and race cars are available now. Not to make this about me, but for instance I was a gopher mechanic / photog for the team that ran this car. For 50 bucks, I couldn't make one that nice and it comes in a free case! Gary
    [​IMG]

28. Deuces

Deuces

29. Deuces

Deuces

I also have a Dick Landy S/S Charger and a Rodshop Dodge S/S Challenger laying around... Both came equipped with the afx chassis... I'll post those in a bit...

30. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Medford, Oregon: 1965-69 -------there was a really cool 'slot car club' in a building with big glass windows onto a downtown sidewalk next to the Cathedral movie theatre....lots of tracks with loops and curls and lots of flat racing, where kids & teens could actually stand 'in-between' the tracks and cheer & race their own cars in competition with others. It was so much fun! Every time I would walk past ''that window'' it was mesmerizing....my uncle was really into it, and had drawers/boxes of parts and bodies, which he let me build my own slot cars from discarded pieces....then finally racing them, not really doing very good, ....but, what fun!!!! Nice memories:)