Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehdubya

ehdubya

Thanks for the great info!

2. I cheated and had to look it up; it was "Ozark Jubilee"- couldn't remember the name but I remember the show. He was one of my mom's favorites and she rarely missed it. Seems to me Ford Tractors also sponsored it.

3. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

I remember in the 50s on the west coast it was Cliffy Stone and The Compton Town Hall Party. Had a lot of big name western entertainers. Then on saturday morning there was Cal Worthington with Cal's Corral.

4. John T Conover

John T Conover
    from US

Left to Right - Joe Zinkins, Grady Martin, Brother Oswald, Billy Robinson, Roy Acuff, Red Foley, Eva Foley, Thelma Acuff - Roy's daughter, Grant Turner, Audrey Williams, Little Jimmy Dickens, Hank Williams, Dollie Bearman, Helen Bremer, Rod Brasfield, cropped off : Minnie Pearl, Pap Wilson

from here

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

This looks familiar,
    ? This is a screen shot from a movie or more likely, a TV commercial????/

~1974/75/76?

8. moefuzz

moefuzz

Something dont look right in this picture.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that too.....

The 'Maytag' Logo on the Front of that washer has the 1909 Maytag Logo Yet this photo obviously dates somewhat later, 1921+ (wooden wheeled roadster pickup in the background).

That dam Logo has been faked!
    When compared side by side, it's easy to see the difference between the 1909 and the 1921 Maytag Logo"

Prior to 1910
    [​IMG]

After 1910
    [​IMG]

!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  9. moefuzz

moefuzz

Oh My!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. moefuzz

moefuzz

Awesome!

I wondered who they ALL where,

Thanks for the link and info!

moe

11. nukeGM

nukeGM

Which ones LN7 Nut?
    :rolleyes:
    PHP:

12. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

Highway 2, Western North Dakota, 1937, according to Shorpy.

13. swi66

swi66

14. swi66

swi66

I have no info on the car.
    But it is very neat!

The picture is for sale on e-bay, no info on history.

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Surely would be interesting to know the internal workings, wouldn't it? I have heard that some of these little cars made for kids used a system driven by an auto starter, but who can say on the little T ?

16. outlaw256

outlaw256

sorry guys i didnt explain myself. know all about cutdowns and all the other history, but what i meant to say is i dont like pics of foreign sports cars. old new it dont matter i just dont like them at all. but ill gladly look at them to get to see the other great pics on this thread.but to me i just dont want to see some car racin around overseas.foreign cars hold no interest for me.but ill take the bad with the good to keep this thread going.love this thread.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by John T Conover [​IMG]
    Left to Right - Joe Zinkins, Grady Martin, Brother Oswald, Billy Robinson, Roy Acuff,
    Red Foley, Eva Foley, Thelma Acuff - Roy's daughter, Grant Turner, Audrey Williams, Little Jimmy Dickens, Hank Williams,
    Dollie Bearman, Helen Bremer, Rod Brasfield, cropped off : Minnie Pearl, Pap Wilson. from here

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

JohnTConover, I want to add my THANKS to Moe's. These folks are all long gone, and they
    brightened a lot of lives performing live, on the Opry, on radio and, later, TV. :D Brother
    Oswald is the only comedian shown, since Minnie Pearl and her original partner, Rod Bras-
    field, are cropped off. Brasfield was hilarious and was also pretty wild, dying in his early 40s.
    Incidentally, his nickname was Bocephus, and friend Hank Williams called his son that. (We
    know him as Hank, Jr. :cool:) When I first saw this, I wondered if it was from when Red took an
    entourage from the Opry on its FIRST foreign tour in 1947, entertaining troops in England,
    the Azones and in Europe. I can't be sure, but it's for sure before 1953.

[​IMG]

Joe Zinkins, Grady Martin, Brother Oswald, Billy Robinson, Roy Acuff, Red Foley, Eva Foley,
    Thelma Acuff - Roy's daughter, Grant Turner, Audrey Williams, Little Jimmy Dickens, Hank
    Williams, Dollie Bearman, Helen Bremer, Rod Brasfield, cropped off : Minnie Pearl, Pap Wilson.

18. looks like trouble!!

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by outlaw256 [​IMG]
    sorry guys i didn't explain myself. know all about cutdowns and all the other history, but what i meant to say is i dont like pics of foreign sports cars. old new it dont matter i just dont like them at all. but ill gladly look at them to get to see the other great pics on this thread.but to me i just dont want to see some car racin around overseas.foreign cars hold no interest for me.but ill take the bad with the good to keep this thread going.love this thread.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    THANKS, Outlaw, THAT is the spirit everybody should have on this thread. :cool: It's VERY
    eclectic, so NOBODY is going to like every single post. So, as Mazooma said a long time
    ago, IF SOMEONE DISLIKES SOMETHING, JUST SCAN ON DOWN:rolleyes:; YOU'RE SURE TO
    SEE SOMETHING OF INTEREST. We can all coexist for the good of this great thread
    and group! :D

20. Here in living brown and white is the original picture from Billy Robinsons site.
    Thanks to Billy and everyone else that posted info on this picture.

[​IMG]

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Awesome digging there, John! THANKS!

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Photo thanks to HoundDogBlogSpot

An ordinary music fan recently paid what I think is the finest tribute I ever heard to Hank Williams, calling him "the wellspring." :cool: Beyond his untimely death at 29, my biggest regret is that the problem with legends is that they tend to obscure a ton of pithy, substantive REALITY. :eek: And, to me, the reality is that Hank, Sr., was a one-of-a-kind talent, whose musical production from 1948 through 1952 truly could be called "the wellspring" that inspired or influenced several musical genres and literally dozens of performers, from Elvis and the Beatles, to Bob Dylan and The Band. Though he was as country as crawfish pie, Hank is credited with beginning to erase the sharp demarcation between County/Western and popular music. Not that he was trying, though.

Cliches also are the curse of any legend. Just as most people would blurt out "Hound Dog" if you mention the prolific Elvis Presley, almost 10 of 10 folks will say, "Your Cheatin' Heart" when you mention Hank's name. :p Maybe it's just a symptom of a fast-paced world that, well, just needs to pigeonhole every subject and quickly move on. :rolleyes: But, the simple fact is that Hank Williams recorded over 250 songs in five years, most of which he wrote himself (unlike Elvis, incidentally, who recorded hundreds of songs but never claimed to be a songwriter). Folks, that's an average of a NEW song written every week.

"Cheatin' Heart" was just one of a bushel of chart-topping songs emanating from his fertile talent. Recording for Fred Rose on MGM, Hank got the ball rolling in '48 by scoring his first chart-topper with his unique cover of an old Tin Pan Alley tune, "Love Sick Blues." That was over Rose's objections, too! He went on to record many others now considered classics, among them, "So Lonesome I Could Cry," "Singin' the Blues," "Honky Tonkin'," "Hey, Good Lookin'," "Cold, Cold Heart," "My Bucket's Got a Hole in It," "Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to Do?)," "Jambalaya, on the Bayou" and one of my personal favorites, the semi-autobiographical (if not outright prophetic!) "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive," :eek: the last single released while he was still alive. His quasi-gospel tune, "The Lost Highway" still gives me the chills. :( Ironically, the song he's best known for, "Your Cheatin' Heart," was released after his death and was his eleventh and final number-one.

I'm not Hank Williams apologist, just an admirer. ;) His rough-edged personal life makes him the target of criticism, even today. In 1950, because of his hard-drinking, hell-raising rep, he began using the alter ego, "Luke, the Drifter" when recording some of his gospel-tinged material. But I say, he was just a man with issues, like so many of us. :eek: The same was true of Robert Johnson, Jimmie Rodgers, Woody Guthrie, Elvis, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, etc. But for those who are quick to jump on Hank's use of alcohol and speedballs, I do wish they'd take into consideration that he lived in constant pain from a congenital back problem, spina bifida. :( In 1951 the pain was so bad that he underwent spinal fusion surgery at Vanderbilt. The pain -- and pain-killers -- only worsened, and he was dead within a year.

[​IMG]
    THANKS to Philly.com!

[​IMG]
    The Drifting Cowboys, apparently having a laugh at the expense
    of their good-humored front man! Photo THANKS to the Hound-
    DogBlogSpot.

[​IMG]
    hankwilliams.nl

[​IMG]
    RockabillyHallofFame

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  23. "None of the neighbors heard anything?"

24. Too cool! I have a good friend who grew up in a similar situation, her name is Dawn. Parallel, huh?

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"The start of our culture decline"!!

26. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

[​IMG]
    now that right there is funny

27. I see FLIES :eek:

28. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Wait, what?? How did you get a shot of me in a bathing suit?? :eek:

...Actually I'm lost... and a little scared... ;)

29. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

[​IMG]
    I was surprised by all the chatter over this shot...heres some more old country music photos

30. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.