Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

exactly

2. moTthediesel

moTthediesel

Well, that could be one way, but it's not the most common way to cause a boiler explosion. The most frequent cause of full-on boiler explosions in locomotives was when the water level was allowed to get too low, thereby uncovering the "fire" or "crown" sheet over the combustion area. At that point you're in real trouble, as the sheet will quickly overheat and lose strength. So just add water? Not so easy -- add feed water then and when the water hits the red-hot steel it immediately (and EXPLOSIVELY) will "flash" to steam. The results of that could be spectacular, and deadly.

Like this:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30105/30105-h/images/image215-2.jpg

That's why even for small engines like this to be used in amusement parks, they had to be operated by licensed engineers.

"Hey kid, let's see your license --"

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

All very well understood. You do realize that this was almost 60 years ago? "Licensed Engineers"? For what it is worth, this was not in an amusement park It waw on our farm. 365 acres. (smiling) Think what it was like 60 years ago. We had lead based paint...no seat belts in cars...rode motorcycles with no helmets...palyed with real chemistry sets.... and so much more. Sure, we lost a few kids every now and then, but that was thinning the gene pool. (joke!!) It was a different world back then. I wonder how many who reply in a negative fashion to this posting are under the age of 50 and do not know what it was like back then. That was when each person took total responsibility for their actions and safety. Parents actually taught their children to behave and how to avoid danger. Ah, the days of no video games. We actually played baseball ...real time.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  4. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

Camel toe anyone....

5. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

Bobby's right she does have bigger tits then me......

6. 396skip

396skip
    from MN

:)My Dad laying on the fender of the old Chev, the gal by the 33 Chev Coupe is our cook at our Ballroom in Kimball,she turns 85 on April 2nd....and My Grandpa Earl by his gas station in 1959:)

7. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

[​IMG]

Marilyn....this one's my favorite!

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  8. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

"A 1950's whatever when even a heater was an option was pretty much junk by the time it had 60,000 miles. And to cruise at 80 to 85 mph for hours would have been impossible to endure even when new...But the chrome was pretty." ?????

My fully loaded & high optioned 58 Buick Limited & 58 Continental Mk III both are still going strong despite their 52 years of age & a trip across to England & all power works on both :)

9. But what a cutie on her right...

10. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That brings back memories of vacations as a kid to the Outer Banks. There would be a strip of these hotels all with similar names and even some like "Sea Foam II" where the owner had more than one. Cool stuff here.

11. Super442s

Super442s

1954 Oldsmobile F-88. For us Olds guys, this two seater (with 324 inch V8) is quite possibly the biggest "What if" car Oldsmobile ever constructed.

12. moTthediesel

moTthediesel

Please don't get me wrong -- I think it's great and I'm much in envy of your experience. Of course -- then, as now, model steam engine enthusiasts were quite free to blow themselves up (or not) on their own property with their own equipment.

As it should be! :D

13. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

haha i did that! didnt know what it would lead to.

14. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Looks like Edsel Ford driving the 28-millionth Ford at the '39-'40 World's Fair in NY.

djweaz likes this.
  15. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Oakland side of the SF Bay Bridge, westbound, near Yerba Buena Island.

16. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

"Kodachrome, it gives us the nice bright colors, gives us the greens of summer, so baby don't take my Kodachrome awaaay."

(Possibly too obscure of a reference.)

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Probably drafted young men heading off to Basic Training with their girls giving them their goodbye smooches.

18. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

HA! The Compton bus! Now that's a long time ago.

19. unkamort

unkamort

I just herd recently that Eastman-Kodak has stopped making film. The end of an erra...

20. lewislynn

lewislynn

That was taken just as she was leaving my apartment.

More proof that beauty is timeless.

21. lewislynn

lewislynn

Gee, did I say each and every one was junk? I'm the second owner of a stock 56 F100 and it still runs fine too. But the fact remains that the construction and engineering compared to today is sub-standard, crude in fact.

There's really nothing wrong with improving things over time is there?

Why do you think many lovers of old cars don't restore them to original but prefer to improve them with- GASP!- new technology?

22. Dave K

Dave K

"A 1950's whatever when even a heater was an option was pretty much junk by the time it had 60,000 miles."

I think you might have missed a 0 don't you mean most cars from the 1950's whatever is junk after only 600,000 miles? They did not start making cars that are junk after only 60,000 miles till the 1970s

The cars I have owned from the 1950s run for ever on nothing more then an oil change and keeping the points clean. The "modern" cars I have owned need <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDave%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C04%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->"maintenance" constantly costing $1000 sometime progress in not progress at all

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  23. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    33Doll and Pauljrestomod97 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.