Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I love these old pictures, check out the ornate casting on the light pole. You never see that stuff now (not new anyway).

2. 1954wagon

1954wagon

3. JonnyAce

JonnyAce

Lucky. The only thing I ever got that came remotely close to that was a Lionel train set when I was ten. And what do you mean "bomb"? The only way a steam engine becomes a bomb is when you keep feeding the fire and making more steam without releasing it in some way.

4. Broome Street, Manhattan
    [​IMG]

5. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

That will never happen, for the same reasons they will won't make an efficient alternatively powered car that looks like a normal vehicle. It would upset the natural order of things.

Besides, cars/toasters/video games/shoes/etc. made today aren't designed to last long. Big timers back in the 50's realized that what they needed to do was re-sale the same products over again to the same buyers. They made things cheaper and were designed to fail, but not so soon that customers would loose faith in the product. This marketing strategy wasn't even kept a secret, and it has evolved today into making everything disposable instead of repairable. Look under a new Buick and tell me how many grease-fittings you see....
    The genius mechanics in Cuba couldn't even make these new cars last half as long as they've kept our 50's model cars going.

6. West Street, Manhattan. <!--show only one date (key_date), based on created 1st, pub 2nd, depicted 3rd-->1938
    [​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  7. Tremont Avenue and Dock Street, Bronx
    [​IMG]

8. lewislynn

lewislynn

If that's looking south you can take a right there onto Hwy 50 straight through Nevada (the loneliest hwy in America), through Carson City, South Lake Tahoe and right into Sacramento.

9. lewislynn

lewislynn

Those poor geniuses pounding out car parts from scrap iron would give their left nut to drive that new Buick without grease fittings on a real hwy rather than one of their cobbled together pieces of shit they have to drive...Hopefully so would you.

A new Buick without grease fittings that's more efficient, runs cleaner, lasts longer and that could blow the doors off of any of those 50's cars, even when they were new is a sign of our freedom and progress.

A genius having to sit around half naked pounding out car parts for an already piece of shit designed to fail (your words) says more about how far we've come VS his Communist lifestyle than it does about those 50's cars he's working on.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would rather work on those old piece of shits then have to pay for a new Buick or pay someone to fix it when the check engine light comes on.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wonder how they stopped it when it looks to have no front brakes and I doubt it has trailer brakes and then add the weight of it fully loaded,then add a non syncro trans on top of it.

12. just something about this picture......made my day

13. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

14. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

You just answered your question. Keep in mind that this "toy" was given to a 5 year old. Yes, I had great instruction on how to operate it safely, but...a 5 year old!! It was driven into my head that I HAD to release steam or.......
    KABOOM!! As I said, never would be sold today for a child to operate.

15. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

exactly

16. :eek: YIKES!!! Put a set of jackstands under it QUICK ! !

Gotta teach 'em safety early. ;)

17. Hmm, One workin', & three bossin'. . . Can anyone else relate?? :D :D

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

And one DIVA sittin the back waitin and waiting and waitin.........^^^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.