Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Yes, that is what he is doing at post #22336 .
    I just wanted to point out that many people painted their car with a brush in the '50's and '60's and it came out looking surprisingly good.
    Thanks for helping on this.

2. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

3. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

[​IMG]

My cousin, Wilbur Rakestraw. He raced in Nascar from 1956-1961 in the Convertible and Hardtop/Grand National Divisions. The picture above was from 1958 on Daytona Beach (Last race on the beach before they built superspeedway) leading Glen Wood of the Wood Brothers.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That was just last week ;)

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

6. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

7. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Screen shots from the "cut" scene of charlotte Rampling fromVanishing Point.

[​IMG]

More VP

8. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Such a great movie, that remake needs to be burned... I hear there is another remake coming.

9. swi66

swi66

10. swi66

swi66

The original Vanishing Point is one of my favorites of all time.
    When it came out I saw it 4 times at the drive in.
    When it was released on videotape, I paid $54 for a Beta version of it.
    The current DVD has 2 sides, US release, and European release that actually contains the Hitch Hiker scenes with Charlotte Rampling.
    You can also watch it with the director's commentary going on, quite interesting to hear the behind the scenes on this.

11. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    This picture is on the rear of the Laser disc version of VP,
    supposedly another cut scene. Where Kowalski breaks up a fight between Jake and a kid (Jake the speed dealer)

12. Brimen

Brimen
    from Norway

Thanks alot for the update,
    never heard of this tragedy before.

:eek::eek:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    kbgreen likes this.
  13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Vaudeville family act "The Four Novelty Grahams" of Ochlocknee,
    Georgia, near Macon. Shown here with their own bus they bought
    to tour with in 1925 and 1926. I did not realize that Biflex bumpers
    were available for trucks, but I guess I know now. Not being a truck
    guy, I don't know the make of the bus. Somebody got it?

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

And another family and their wheels! I don't recognize this car, though it looks
    like about 1918 or 1920, somewhere in there. Any help? (Photo is for sale
    by Kathy'sPhotos on eBay, for you collectors!)

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Circa 1910 at a place called Camp Cromley (NY?), back when simple pleasures were special.

[​IMG]

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Taking the water thing to an unpleasant extreme! Anybody recognize the event?

[​IMG]

17. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

We are involved in agriculture and often see current photos of the dust bowl locations. Farners today have planted a staggering number of "shelter belt" trees plus switched to no-till (minimal ground disruption) techniques and herbicide weed control to prevent a recurrance. Can't even recognize the same places.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, wonder when and where this was taken! Familes headed
    west for a new life.

[​IMG]

19. v8nutter

v8nutter

The book The Grapes of Wrath by John Stienbeck is about the Okies moving to California to get away from the dust bowl. There was also a film of the same name it starred Henry Fonda

Different Subject. Vanishing Point has to be the best car movie ever made

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

I just LIKE this snapshot, because it exemplifies a real,
    regular American family -- and proud of their car, too!

21. The most depressing movie ever made, IMO.

22. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

#22520 If you look at the way everyone is standing, the photo is entirely about the car and they are just standing there as window dressing. That's how mauch folks loved, and still love, this empowering machine.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno but I think they may call it a flood:rolleyes:

Doc.

24. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

My dad was a house painter when he moved from IL to CA in 1941 to find work. He painted his 41 Chevy with a brush in the mid 40's.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Doc, if ANYBODY should know floods right now, I'd guess YOU would be high on the list! LOL

And, Paul, you hit the nail on the head. I think getting your picture with your car HAS to be the most official unofficial custom in world history! I'll bet a LOT of the pix on this and other HAMB nostalgia threads show proud owners and families with their first-ever car or truck. Lots of younger folk now probably can't imagine a time when auto ownership was the EXCEPTION rather than the rule!

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

27. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Yeah, those guys were masters of the craft. Some of the cars I saw in the '50's or '60's that were painted with a brush needed a complete examination to see even a few brush strokes.

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

behind the "owl cocktail bar" letter is a buick logo. Must have been a buick dealership before it was a cocktail bar

29. Rod Zombie

Rod Zombie
    from Florida

In 1899 ninety percent of New York City’s taxi cabs were electric vehicles. This fleet of electric cars was built by the Electric Carriage and Wagon Company of Philadelphia. Not only that, but in 1899 and 1900, electric cars outsold all other types of cars, such as gas and steam powered vehicles. In 1902 an electric car, the Baker Torpedo, became the first car to have an aerodynamic body that enclosed both the driver and the platform. This car at one point reached 80 mph in a speed test before crashing and killing two spectators. It was later clocked as high as 120 mph, but with spectators not invited this time.

At the time, the advantages of the electric car over the other popular types (gas and steam) were significant. The electric cars had no vibrations from the engine and were extremely quiet compared to its competitors. They also didn’t emit smoke or backfire frequently as did gas powered cars. They were also ready to go right when you sat in the car, unlike gas powered cars that needed to be cranked by hand to start; this was not only difficult, but also could be dangerous.

By 1935 the electric car was officially dead and wasn’t revisited until around the 1960s and then still unsuccessfully. To date, all attempts to create a commercially successful fully electric car have failed.

30. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Back in the mid-60s we visited my Dad's favorite uncle whom I was named after. He was a retired blacksmith who lived in the little town of Proctor, West Virginia on the banks of the Ohio River. I remember a few things about that town that seemed odd to me. The houses were almost all 2-story and were a good 3-4 feet off the ground. You could almost walk under them. Most people had row boats stashed under the house and there were outside doors on the second floor but no balcony. I asked my Dad about that and he said that the river often flooded the town and when it did, people just moved upstairs and used row boats to get around. Some houses had the kitchen on the second floor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.