Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures from my Father's slides.

2. swi66

swi66

Nop one was injured in this accident.
    In fact, no one was in the car when it happened!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the Blizzard of 77, in Akron, NY.
    This car went off the road into the ditch.
    By the time the blizzard was done, the car and the road next to it had 8 feet of snow on top. Payloaders were brought in to clear the snow. This car, and a few others were driven over, most likely without the operator of the loader even noticing as they were buried. Many cars were not found for several weeks when the snow melted.
    Tow truck operators were under orders to tow in anything you can, bill the owners later.
    The owner of this car was informed looking for their car for weeks when good old Victor Motors notified them he had their car, and he would not tell them where it was until they paid the towing bill.
    Imagine their suprise................

3. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I agree, staged. I won't go into great detail why I think that lest I offend the more squeamish among us but I've had a fair amount of personal experience with accidents like that and there are too many details that are wrong or just plain missing. That car and that motorcycle may have very well collided but this isn't a picture of the actual aftermath. It was probably "recreated" later for driver education purposes.

I also agree though that it probably wasn't in keeping with the spirit of the thread.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  4. Y-Blockhead;
    what year is this picture. Far lower right building on the strand is the
    Sea Shell Motel. Still there! Second building to it's left with the hip roof
    was a business in front and two appartments to rear. I and schoolmate
    rented one apartment from the motel. W/pool privileges. Used to run
    my BSA on the damp edge at night. Never got caught.:D That was in 62
    & 63. Really brings back memories. Aquarium and pier wasn't there then.
    Thanks for the memories,
    Bill.

5. Bill, do you mean the Sea Sprite Hotel? Here's a picture from the Sea Sprite looking towards the New Pier. I think the new Pier opened around 1964.

[​IMG]

The other picture had to be late '50's, early 60's... I would have been ten in 1960. I still live in the area (North Redondo)

6. Ocean Aquarium, Hermosa Beach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. swi66

swi66

Now I hope this one does not offend anyone..................

[​IMG]

This photo was taken years ago, and supposedly, according to my father, this was done more or less as a "public service announcement" regarding drinking and driving. Called "Death Rides The Highway"

I beleive this was at Watkins Glen.

8. swi66

swi66

This was my Uncle's MG from in the 50's. He wrecked it when a bridge was washed out. He was almost killed, but survived and they rebuilt the car........but then sold it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Super442s

Super442s

In keeping with the recent amusement park pics, here are a couple from the Jantzen Beach park in Portland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this shot from the 40's, in the foreground is the dirt track. Also visible is The Dipper roller coaster

[​IMG]

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Me sitting in front of the coaster at Chippewa Lake Park in Ohio. It closed in 1978 but largely was left standing for years. This pic would have been 1962.

[​IMG]

Pretty dapper dude eh?

I read where demolition was going to start on the coaster and I'm not sure if it has but until recently at least it was still standing.

[​IMG]

11. lewislynn

lewislynn

In the days of the ticket books Tom Sawyers Island was about the only thing you could do with out buying a ticket.

I think Steve Martin once worked in the Enchanted Tiki Room.

12. gmartin73

gmartin73

there was a place here in fl that was called six gun territory, you rode an old train into the park and it was set up as an old west town with gun fights and indians all that stuff. it closed down in the 80's but i remember going there as a kid. wish i could find some old pics of it.

13. My dad on his Harley knucklehead, ca. 1952

[​IMG]

14. At the beach, ca. 1950.

[​IMG]

15. butch27

butch27

Anybody remember a park called "Dogpatch" in Arkansas? Had Li'l Aabner etc. I tried to ride "Daisy May" (good looking blond) there one time. The wife got pissed.LOL

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Salt-glazed clay paving brick (AKA, just "pavers"), not cobblestones.

Untold hundreds of millions of them were fired in the decades around the turn of the last century and remained a favored means of paving into the '20s and beyond. Unlike building bricks, pavers were dense, weighing 9-10 pounds each, and because of the long firing cycle and the introduction of salt into the kilns during firing, these were nearly impenetrable by water.

When the Indy Motor Speedway opened in 1909, it was nicknamed "The Brick Yard," for the obvious reason. In my home state, paving-brick production peaked after WWI at about 300 million per year. Since a half-million bricks were used to pave a mile of roadway (assuming 25 feet wide), annual Ohio production would have paved some 600 miles of streets and highways. But paving with bricks was labor intensive, so when cheaper asphalt-based Macadamized technologies caught up, "tar-mac" (and variations thereof) eclipsed the old brick method.

However, once brick was in place, the surface would last 20-30 years -- or longer -- with proper maintenance. Lots of these streets (and the secondary highways, too) just got overlayed in later decades with asphalt-based "flexible" pavements. And in many towns and even big-city neighborhoods, the original brick streets are still prized for their charm -- and they get maintained the old-fashioned way. (Just FYI, salt-glazed pavers are collected nowadays and even sell on eBay.)

[​IMG] <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Well, I guess the pic of the caved-in brick street isn't going to show. BUT, the info is in answer to Mazooma's comments on page 79 of the thread. (Paving brick, not cobblestones.)

18. ground pounder

ground pounder
    from ontario

Cool pics back when life were so simple

19. Mart

Mart

Not trying to be a wise-ass but lots of info on the web under "pavoirs" probably the older and possibly more correct spelling.
    Mart.

20. That's O.K.... we spell color..., color. You spell color..., colour...!:D

Reminds me of somebodys signiture on this board that reads... "You say Potato and we say "F#%K you"... hahaha

21. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Remember as a kid that Oswego, NY had a lot of hilly streets and these were all brick. Noisy when thraffic passed by, but seemed to provide good traction when it snowed.

There are several streets in the city of syracuse that still retain their brick paving, mostly on hills also, they seem to be holding up very well ad have had little attention since the 40's.

22. Just to get away from the "bricks" for a while, How about some more sand??

Hermosa Beach, CA early 1900's

[​IMG]

23. Y-Block;
    Yes yes of course it was the sea sprite. Thanks for the picture. Seems like I was there in winter of 63-64 and I can't remember either the pier
    or the marina. Passed through in feb 08 and motel was still there.
    Bill.

24. Dog427435

Dog427435

25. Dog427435

Dog427435

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.