Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

2. 56shoebox

56shoebox

hendelec and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

Don't forget to mention the outrageous Summer heat often in excess of 120 degrees F and going outside during Summer days is virtually impossible and business activity slows to a crawl. Then there are the sandstorms on 111 that will literally damage your chrome and windshield.
    As for Spring break, the residents did not like it and the police had undercover cops in the crowds and parties looking for the opportunity to jail students. I witnessed this and even though I was a resident, my girlfriend and I escaped just in time. Sure enough, one of my friends ended up in jail. Another few guys heard of a party out further into the desert. What they found was an attack by the local "youths" who liked pounding students from out of the area.
    Then there is the fact that there is nothing to do there. You can play golf and tennis, stay in the pool, ride the tram. That's it.
    Then there was our friends who were a young black family with small children. The guy worked for a rental car company. Even though Palm Springs had a significant black community, they were heavily discriminated against by the locals and police. They could not go places or do things that would not have been an issue in Los Angeles.
    Don't believe everything you see in the movies.

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I don't have any info on the midget pic, but the tree trunk in the background looks like a palm tree. My best guess is it was taken in So. Cal. or maybe even Fla. (?)
    The Indy pic is from 1922 and the #16 car is Howdy Wilcox's Peugot and I noticed the tire "blankets" also. Of course today tire warmers/blankets and such are common but I've never seen anything like that either, from that far back. I suspect they were wet down and were used to keep the tires as cool as possible back then.

8. When did this PICTURE thread become a message / comments board?
    STFU guys, who CARES about your constant stupid remarks, CAN WE GO BACK TO CARS ( not your opinions on everything ) AND STOP THE STUPID TWITTER TYPE RUNNING COMMENTARY PLEASE?
    A bunch of gossiping old ladies!

[​IMG]

Chrisbcritter, egads, Skrape and 15 others like this.
  9. By David Sorenson:
    Perhaps the first of a series of drag cars run by Bill Butters (and later with partners), sponsored by Groh's Texaco on Rosemead Blvd in Rivera, CA (before it merged to become Pico Rivera), This '37 sedan was flathead powered, later Bill ran a deuce 5-window and graduate all the way to top fuel dragsters. I found the photo on a site that had his car's history, but I don't remember where it was or who took the picture. Nitro in that can?
    [​IMG]

10. Sedan deliveries were once the :hot setup"!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.