Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Rare shot of the '62 Golden Rod. Looks like at Quaker or Magnolia. Previous owner built a nice tribute recently, w/ correct gold interior (anniversary model). Campaigned the original into the late '60s. Told me @Indy when guys were running way deeper under the record than he was, that was it. The original is still around, Columbus or Indiana I believe.
    Thanks @NHRANUT for a great set of period pics!
    [​IMG]

4. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Lincoln High School, San Jose, fall 1955:
    lsca56-10.jpg

5. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-9-26_5-50-28.png
    Hello,

The name Gledhill rings a bell. Fred Gledhill Chevrolet, Inc, Wilmington, CA was about 2 miles from our house on the Westside of Long Beach. The dealership originally was named Del Dryer Chevrolet. In 1958, the top two Chevy dealers in the local area were Cormier Chevrolet in downtown, Long Beach near our high school and Gledhill Chevrolet in Wilmington, a short drive from our house.

We had a choice and selected Cormier in downtown Long Beach, because my brother’s 58 Impala’s special order would take two weeks (in a trade with another Chevy dealer) Gledhill was closer to our house, but they had to order it from Detroit to get it to Wilmington.

Jnaki

Today we all know about the massive automotive dealerships all over a certain area named after one person or company. (McKenna, Tuttle/Click, Rusnak, Penske, Autonation, Shelly, etc…)

Back in the early days, the Gledhill name was in different parts of So Cal run by the “Gledhill Family.”
    upload_2017-9-26_5-59-52.png

Later, Gledhill moved near the Harbor Freeway and PCH

From a Corvette forum:
    "Fred Gledhill Chevrolet was located at 1500 N Pacific Coast Highway in Wilmington, California. The dealership is remembered by Corvette historians as the purported delivery dealership for the three 1968 L-88 James Garner A.I.R. race cars. The dealership closed due to falling sales.

In a 1991 court case against a bank that mishandled some of the dealership loans it was revealed that all car dealerships in this area of Los Angeles were experiencing sales declines due to increased crime in the area. After Fred Gledhill Corp used cars failed, the lot was subsequently closed."

upload_2017-9-26_5-54-8.png

from 348-409 forum:
    "Now, about Tom Jacobson. He was a 409 guy from the beginning. He worked at Fred Gledhill Chevrolet back in the day. For many years he was the parts manager at Gledhill Chevrolet in Wilmington, Calif. He ran a '62 Biscayne 409 named Ol'Blue at Lions Drag Strip, and was competitive in the day.( there was also Economy Chevrolet in Alhambra, owned by Chad Gledhill, Fred's brother.) Today a restoration clone of that car is on the floor of the NHRA museum in Pomona at the fairgrounds."

upload_2017-9-26_5-56-48.png upload_2017-9-26_6-6-6.png
    Tom Jacobsen's racing lineage goes way back to the 1960s, when he was one of the pilots of Tom Sturm's Just 4 Chevy Lovers Chevelle. Here's a pretty amazing racing family portrait from 1971 of the Jacobsen family, posed in front of their ramp truck toting their Old Blue/Gledhill Chevrolet Camaro Pro Stocker, which Jacobsen ran into the mid-1970s. Dig that '70s miniskirt and go-go boots!

A bit of history: Price Gledhill, dealer, Price Chevrolet, wrote a letter' to Oldsmobile expressed interest in establishing a dual Chevrolet-Oldsmobile dealership' in Monrovia.

Joseph Rizzuto ("Rizzuto"), Oldsmobile Regional Development Manager, investigated the sales effectiveness and CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) of Gledhill Chevrolet in Monrovia. Rizutto obtained the CSI scores for a three-month period and a twelve month period, the scores were 71 and 73, respectively. The scores were below the Chevrolet Zone Standard of 79. In January of 1989, Barnett, and Rizzuto decided that Gledhill probably could not obtain the capitol necessary to proceed with his desire to become the Monrovia Oldsmobile dealer.

On or about August 29, 1989, Charles Tachdjian, the dealer principal of Crown Oldsmobile, submitted an application to establish a Chevrolet-Oldsmobile dual in Monrovia with Gledhill and Price.

8. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Rootie, could this be the Frank Suess crash at Legion Ascot?

j-jock and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It is, 1933 I believe. The other car involved was driven by Frenchie Lahorgue.

Speedwrench likes this.
  10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

11. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$5 bucks??

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

George Amick

Speedwrench likes this.
  14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great memories!-----Went there in '49-50 with girl friend.

jnaki and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Helped build the "Parasol" back then.

jnaki and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"COMON" ----Put your back into it!!!!!!!!!

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"A white sports coat & pink carnation"----Etc.

56shoebox and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

My friend Dick Stevenson passed away last February (I had a thread on his '60 348 Impala a couple years back), and I just now got around to digitizing photos from his yearbook for his partner. Here's a pair of ads from Andrew Hill High School in San Jose, 1962:
    ahca62-20.jpg
    Did the locals refer to it as Yucky's? :D

19. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Jnaki, thanks for posting the Gledhill photos - a friend in my model club is scratchbuilding one of those odd Chevy crew-cab conversions and images have been very tough to find.

Just curious - Did your folks know a family named Fujinami from over in Downey? The father used to street race a light blue '52 Olds 88 coupe with a later J-2 setup. The son still has it but it's been off the road since around '58 or so.

20. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Now, about Tom Jacobson. He was a 409 guy from the beginning. He worked at Fred Gledhill Chevrolet back in the day. For many years he was the parts manager at Gledhill Chevrolet in Wilmington, Calif. He ran a '62 Biscayne 409 named Ol'Blue at Lions Drag Strip, and was competitive in the day."

I'm pretty sure that "Old Blue" was Larry "Butch" Leal's '62 409 S/S before Tom got ahold of it. Lot of history with that car. Before Butch was the "California Flash", he used to be the "Pixley Flash", which is where he and his dad had a trucking company I think. Pixley is on Hwy 99 in Tulare County. He would tow Old Blue down to San Fernando on any given Sunday and kick everyone's butt...
    9411458.jpg

3529800.jpg

47ragtop, Hombre, bramdax and 6 others like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hey CBC,
    Andrew Hill HS was my goal every other day back in 1965-66. After a grueling day at San Jose State College, I took off running south towards that high school. When I got there, I turned left and ran to the golf course trail, Coyote Creek, back to my apartment near SJSC. There was no fence back in those days, so anyone at any time, could run on that trail. It was about 4 miles out and 4 back in some wooded areas in the middle of a crowded city.

Now that I think about it, I actually hated running, but at 21 years old, I wanted to be in the best shape ever. The surf was so far away in Santa Cruz and I did not want to be an "apartment log," just sitting around. So, off I ran.

Jnaki
    Not only did I run, but at school, I did 30 slant board sit ups with a 25 lbs. free weight...daily. The good thing, I was in excellent shape. The bad thing, after the run, I was so tired that I could not stay awake to study. How ironic...Don't they call those weights dumbbells, anyway?

Never went to Tucky's, but it was within biking distance from the high school and the college back then, today, it would be driving distance.

chryslerfan55 and Chrisbcritter like this.
  22. theamcguy

theamcguy

Anybody have any pictures of R E Jahn Rambler located on McKnight Road in Pittsburgh PA or even any pictures of McKnight Road?

23. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Where is Topaz lake

24. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

You're right, that was at QC. The original is still around, original owner I believe, but not in it's original state. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I think "Resto Rod" might be the proper term.

chryslerfan55 and slowmotion like this.
  25. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

WOW, I think I remember where it was but don't have any photos. That area has changed so much that a present day photo wouldn't represent what it looked like back in the day.
    If my memory is correct, it was at approximately 7381 McKnight Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15237. But my memory may not be working well tonight.:)

26. [​IMG]
    Portland, OR

[​IMG]
    This photo was posted by myself and a couple of others - noted Hung Far Low's in the background, it was one of THE places to go after hours for their stiff drinks (as if we needed more), inexpensive food, and negotiating the drunken stairway of death (not successfully every time). We were just reminiscing about it...
    [​IMG]

27. OH MAN do I remember that place! Food wasn't bad, used to get the #3, fried shrimp, fried rice and chow mein for $3.25 !! MASS quantities of food.Haven't had decent Chow Mein since I moved to LA!
    And yes, I slithered up those steeper than they look stairs many times!
    COOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.