Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Check out that 55 Bel-Air with the 4 bar flippers and snow diggers!

2. Samj

Samj

This is ersatz...built a few years ago for la tourista trade. South of Colorado Springs. Mostly a large gift shop.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Friendly Farm Restaurant, Salem, OR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    biggeorge, Dave Mc, hotrd32 and 3 others like this.
  4. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

5. KarnUtz

KarnUtz
    from Motown

The Anasazi lived and roamed the Four Corners area of the Southwestern United States from 1200 B.C. to A.D. 1300. The Anasazi did not live in the Manitou Springs area, but lived and built their cliff dwellings in the Four Corners area, several hundred miles southwest of Manitou Springs. The Manitou Cliff Dwellings were relocated to their present location in the early 1900s, as a museum, preserve, and tourist attraction. The stones were taken from a collapsed Anasazi site near Cortez in southwest Colorado, shipped by railroad to Manitou Springs, and assembled in their present form as Anasazi-style buildings closely resembling those found in the Four Corners. The project was done with the approval and participation of well-known anthropologist Dr. Edgar Lee Hewett, and Virginia McClurg, founder of the Colorado Cliff Dwelling Association

6. swi66

swi66

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived in Powell, TN where this actually is and there is a used car dealership there, too. I drove by it every time I went to the Kroger or to get gas. It is a neat old building and I always wondered what the story was, thanks.

8. loudbang

loudbang

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

10. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

11. From RedandMaggie's post; Makes ya wonder if they measured bumper height before allowing you to park in that garage?

18274967_1851714331521211_8190674539034369115_n.jpg

12. Mike

Mike

Getting in and out of those left hand rear doors looks pretty dicey.

13. The great Larry Shinoda! The designer of the Mid year Corvettes and the Mach Mustangs.
    Got to meet him once, really nice guy.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Back in the day, most curbs were a LOT higher than they are now, and more than likely standardized for city streets. Remember curb feelers? Those goofy things really helped keep you from bashing your sheet metal. I remember some curbs being so high that if you could even tag your door ends on them... and if you were a tad too heavy and sat in your car with the door open over the curb, it was possible to pinch the bottom of the door on the curb so firmly that you couldn't close the door!

But those in the photo look a lot higher than standard curbs (probably to keep dumb drivers from accidentally driving over them and getting grounded - or worse) and the cars fit so uniformly well I suspect you are right, there might have been a standard industry height for the bottom of bumpers back then, too. Gary

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^ Your right. My 2 daily drivers can hit the stops in a parking lot and screw up the factory air dams under and behind the bumper. Had to put them back on a few times.

loudbang and C. John Stutzer like this.
  16. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Helms truck for tools......... for those in southern california

17. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I think he also hand a hand in the design of the bodywork for A. J. Watson's Indy roadsters.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

19. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievable! I just ran across pictures of my old neighborhood I grew up in the 70's and early 80's. I was just thinking about restaurants I visited as a kid and typed in The Farm Shop, Hartford CT., and there it is my old neighborhood. The first picture is the end of Kenyon St. where it meets Farmington Ave. and the picture is taken from the parking lot of Lee's Famous Recipe where I got my first job. That building next to the restaurant was torn down and there was a Burger King built there, and I worked there too. The next one is the First Naional which became a Finast when I was there. The picture with the Connecticut Bank became a CBT or Connecticut Bank and Trust and they had the first ever ATM machine I ever saw in about 1983 I think. All of these pics are off of Farmington Ave.
    f4593087aaf94443cc5b8c00ca59b84a.jpg 2d4f9b76da831371f571e1bc992a7393.jpg Hartford1960s_02_2000.jpg

Bomb, Chrisbcritter, Paul B and 5 others like this.
  20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was the first cinema I ever recall going to, we went to a matinee and the show was "The Three Fantastic Supermen". The second pic is from the end of Kenyon St. looking across Farmington Ave., I went to Cub Scouts at that church. WestHartfordCT_03_2000-970x683.jpg 10720953_west-hartford-connecticut-1960s-part_2780840e_m.jpg

Bomb, Chrisbcritter, Paul B and 4 others like this.
  21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

For the discriminating mechanic, he only works on Deusenbergs, Rolls Royce, etc. Gary

loudbang likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.