Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loudbang

loudbang

This batch comes from Ormond Beach in Florida that was one of the places people chose to come out and set speed records. Year after year they went faster and faster and the tradition held between the years of 1903 and 1910.

The car on the left is a Maxwell-Briscoe. The guys in the car? Well those guys are Mr. Maxwell and Mr. Briscoe.

1.jpg

The guy in white is driver Arthur McDonald and he is piloting a 90hp Napier. The other guy is unknown

2.jpg

Here’s the 60hp Fiat Cyclone. This was at the beginning of the car’s life. I would be a racer for nearly a decade after and by the time it was done, this thing was used up.

3.jpg

The man himself! Cigar chomping Barney Oldfield was an American racing hero of the highest order in the 1900s. Here his is being the wheel of the Lightning Benz, ready to attack the beach.

4.jpg

Here’s a photo of the mighty V8 that powered the Darracq race car back in 1906. This thing was literally all motor. Note the bare frame rails, steering column.

5.jpg

Here’s another shot of the Fiat Cyclone. While it was down on power as compared to many other monsters, it was much smaller and could lay down some speeds in the ballpark of the heavy hitter.

6.jpg

Driver EH Fredricks behind the wheel of a Mercedes race car in 1905.

7.jpg

This was a powerful 75hp Simplex but with all these guys standing around it, the car is nothing but a busted wreck. No word on the driver.

8.jpg

A frontal shot of the Darracq with its cool V-shaped radiator and happy driver and riding mechanic.

9.jpg

This missile shaped beauty is the Stanley Steamer entry that would run over 100mph on the stand. It was a radical departure from virtually everything else.

10.jpg

hotrd32, 63fdsnr, Bomb and 4 others like this.
  2. Still don't see one since this one isn't a station wagon.

3. I stand corrected

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Another HBC pic. (Hudson Bay Company) Victoria B.C. Canada Gonzales Streetcar at Douglas and Fisgard.jpg

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

7. swi66

swi66

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi DDDenny.Yep,that was the Donner Party.Got trapped by a blizzard and had to resort to canabalisim to survive.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No snow in August. And when I'm at Donner there are lots of big hills to go before I am where I am going. Coming back it's all down hill to Sacramento and a short drive home. I can tell you that I am glad to park it.

11. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

12. JD Miller

JD Miller

13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

14. A Stirling engine Corvair (Calvair)? Well that's another new one on me! :rolleyes:

Caprice89 likes this.
  15. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

I like your new avatar Gary :D

hendelec likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.