Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 07_20_2014_early_danbury_from_roger_liller.jpg 482c90f7620cb22a61d502e285141f13.jpg DanburyWreckAug1162[1].jpg 02-Danbury.jpg
    there a Jcrew, Underarmour, Macy, shoe stores, etc .........here now.................

tommyd, 47ragtop, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  2. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Any idea where in Hartford this is? I've seen earlier pictures at work with the coal conveyor, but from the East Hartford side.

I remember the Danbury track, unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to go there before it closed and got malled over. Same thing with Riverside, only that's now Superman the Rollercoaster or something like that (although I did go there once for a demo derby.)

loudbang likes this.
  3. Picture 23004.jpg
    Looks damn near the same except the tavern has moved one space to the right of that space in the photo.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

You nailed it...that's what it is...a 368 Lincoln.

4everblue likes this.
  5. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

If anyone has more info on this picture it would be greatly appreciated.

6. i don't know where that shot was taken from.

loudbang likes this.
  7. TheDevilsRide

TheDevilsRide

8. Joan Blondell
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    hendelec, loudbang, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  9. TheDevilsRide

TheDevilsRide

10. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Not sure of the year, but this is probably Kenny Weld's car. Looking at the front wheels tells me that Greg had already moved on to USAC by the time they were made.

loudbang and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  11. 41 C28

41 C28

12. wutnxt

wutnxt

We had a place in Woodburn called the Sno-White. Best vanilla cones ever. You could stop on the way home from the swimmin' pool

loudbang likes this.
  13. If I copy over a date given on a photo, I add the "ish" (since I was born in 1962 and have no idea if it's true or not) and leave it up to you experts to duke it out.

loudbang, Bubba1955 and fatiredflyer like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, life was good!

15. BornBuick

BornBuick

…. you guys had a whole dollar to spend in the 60's at any given time ? … gee in the mid 60's after walking soybean fields hired by farmers to pull-out milk weed stalks by hand for 25 cents/hour & what with a whole 2 dollars in quarters at the end of a long hot Saturday of work and toil … thought I was fortunate to have enough to buy three 10 Cent hamburgers at Hamburger Heaven, in Sioux Falls, South Dakota run by two old sailors downtown … them were the days …

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hell no, I was 12 and saving up for a new Schwinn Stingray bike.
    It was something we did when mom didn't feel like cooking.

kbgreen and loudbang like this.
  17. swi66

swi66

18. swi66

swi66

19. swi66

swi66

20. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

I believe that is a picture of the old Dutch Point Generating station with the new I 91 going underneath the coal conveyor the picture was probably taken from the area that is now the new Convention Center looking south towards Colts

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. Great postings!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

23. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

biggeorge likes this.
  24. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

25. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  27. flyin-t

flyin-t

I don't know if these shots came from Riksters site but with the exception of the 2 with the '66 Impala ( I took out the other pics) they were all shot at the old Genes Muffler and Chrome shop on Lakewood blvd in Paramount Ca. All the buildings are gone now but I'm still in touch with Keith who owned Genes and was the guy that invented Bellflower exhaust tips. At one point Larry Watson rented a spot in the small complex as did Stratton interiors and Howard Custom Boats. Howard is the only one left in business today although not at this location. He was our neighbor and rented a house from my parents when these shots were taken, you can see the Howard sign in the background, and I worked for him later on.

The 2 shots with the Impala were taken at a later shop Watson had, still on Lakewood blvd but in the city of Lakewood, ca. This shop was right across the street from our neighborhood.

Spent countless hours of my youth hanging out at Genes, riding our bikes there and dreaming of being old enough to drive, hanging out and I'm sure getting in the way. Bought my first set of chrome wheels there when I got my first car, a '56 BBW pickup.

loudbang and jnaki like this.
  28. And the racing was a hell of a lot better back then!

Speedwrench likes this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Rich,
    I thought those photos looked familiar. That was the northern part of our cruising grounds. But in 1963, my friend bought a Howard hull with a big Ford motor for water skiing. We went up there a couple of times. Nice story...

Old photos pop up all of the time...that is cool. But I wish people would do some research and find out more information of the photos before they post them. That would give all of us familiarity with the photos and can generate more information.
    Thanks,
    Junji
    Jnaki on the HAMB

tb33anda3rd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.