Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ^^^ Has to be Levittown NY.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

that was my first thought also

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  3. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

[​IMG]

Breaks my heart (or pisses me off) every time I see one of these Shastas. Many years ago, not long after my wife and I were married, we had a friend who's parents had one sitting in a field. Her dad was a hard fast Okie truck driver with a huge ego. It looked like he took those old truck driving school commercials to heart. The ones where they told you you'd make tons of money and be able to buy all the things you ever wanted, like boats, RVs and the like.

He had a field full of trailers, 4x4's, boats and more, all in various states of decay because he was on the road 7 days a week to pay for them all. My wife and I were really interested in the Shasta but we didn't have much money being newly married (seems like that part hasn't changed much). The trailer was in decent shape for sitting so long but was missing a glass louver so there was some moisture damage. He was rock solid at $500 (1980's dollars). Couldn't come up with the scratch. He was the same with all his other toys that were rotting away when someone would stop and ask.

About 6 months later his field caught fire and everything burned to the ground. Karma, I guess. What a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Hey now, there's a little Okie in all of us. Especially with the dust bowl migration to California.

5. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's like the 85 year old guys they find on "Pickers" who won't sell something they've got stashed in an old barn because "I'm going to restore it some day. There is so much stuff in reasonably good shape that could be in use and other real "junk" that owners feel is so valuable it's not for sale.

Deepwater, loudbang and RedlandMaggie like this.
  7. A guy on the next street over from us owned a Shasta trailer, and rented it out in summer. For several years my Dad would rent the thing and we'd take off in our '50 Plymouth to the Oregon Coast. In those days it wasn't crowded and it didn't seem there were nuts and partiers to deal with. Great memories of campfires, cold beaches and FUN!!!
    Would LOVE to have both the 50 Plymouth and the Shasta.

8. My little 1954 Terry canned ham is patiently waiting for me to come up with the money to fix her up. But, she's under cover in a shed and not sitting in the elements. There's a guy over in Boring, OR that does great restoration work. Just need to win the lottery.

Bomb and 29bowtie like this.
  9. Here are some REAL Okies on my wife's side....my mother-in-law is one of the infants.... Picture 896.jpg Picture 897.jpg Picture 898.jpg

Zerk, loudbang, Bomb and 2 others like this.
  10. No offence taken, I'm a native So. Californian and never in a million years I ever thought I'd live in Oklahoma, but I love it here.The Okies and others went to California now Californians are going to Austin and in smaller numbers OKC, Weird

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]
    !

olscrounger likes this.
  11. raymay

raymay

Northgate Plaza in Rochester, NY. Site is now a Super Walmart and a few smaller stores from the original Plaza footprint.
    14448823_1210975798969042_8703411317700649240_n[1].jpg

Suprcharged, loudbang and Bomb like this.
  12. Tootall6767

Tootall6767

Suprcharged and Bomb like this.
  13. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Bomb likes this.
  14. Tootall6767

Tootall6767

Does it come with batteries?

15. Johnny99

Johnny99

Space Needle Seattle WA. construction. The folks that look to be having lunch are on the turntable for the rotating restaurant which was built at Western Gear in Everett WA. I was lucky enough early in my career to have worked with some of the men who had worked at "The Gear" before it was shut down. Learned a ton from those guys.

John

Space Needle tuntable.jpg Space Needle .jpg Space_Needle_under_construction,_1961_-_2.jpg

16. Bought many a model in the hobby store in that shopping center. They had contests too. Also where I got my first job @ 16 in the nearby Penny's garden dept.. Used the money from my first paycheck to buy my first album by Joey D and the Starlighters and put gas in my Dad's new 61' Chevy as I 'd just got my license.

das858 and loudbang like this.
  17. TheDevilsRide

TheDevilsRide

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

14324555_10206323810031530_2632436037225695987_o.jpg Whites Pit Stop. Still open.

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

21. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Ray, I was there at the Grand Opening of the "mall." My mom and dad took me and my brother to see this wondrous place. They had spotlights that shone up in the air, a band and, of course, some drum majorettes strutting their stuff. This was big stuff for me, just a 10 year old, to see. Although I'm not exactly certain, we probably drove down to this gala event in my dad's '36 Plymouth.

What a great time it was to be alive!

raymay and loudbang like this.
  22. Johnny99

Johnny99

Playland and Aurora Speedway on Highway 99/Aurora Ave North Seattle WA.. All gone. Playland's popularity was ebbing in my formative years. Got to do a bit of slot car racing there, years hwy 99 play 1.png hwy 99 play 2.jpg hwy 99 4.jpg hwy 99 5.jpg later that same track was sitting alongside 99 cut to pieces in the back of a dump truck with a for sale sign pinned to it. My folks purchased quite a few Chrysler products from S.L. Savidge. Funny I turned out to be more of a GM man.

John

23. Spokane Street Ferry in Sellwood (Portland), Oregon 1925 - precursor to the Sellwood Bridge.
    [​IMG]

24. Hakro

Hakro

25. I am pretty certain it was rough going for them, but they made it from Oklahoma to Oregon.

loudbang likes this.
  26. tommyd likes this.
  27. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Some really fast Olds stockers came out of that dealer!

28. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

ROFL! :D

Bomb likes this.
  29. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

Wow! Those were the days when "Service Station" meant something. Whenever my father stopped at the Texaco station down the road from our house ("You can trust your car to the man who wears a star..."), the service station attendant would gas the car, clean the windshield, pop the hood, check the oil, check the radiator, etc, Of course, this would often lead to the purchase of a quart of oil or a set of new wiper blades in addition to the gas, which in those days was about 25 cents a gallon...!

30. nightmoves

nightmoves

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.