Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. Hakro

Hakro

3. flyin-t

flyin-t

Yeah, I figured it didn't mean coffin. I was trying to comment on it's ridiculously small coffin like size without having to actually point out the obvious and say that it's ridiculously small, about the same size as a coffin. Which, by the way, it could double as if you were to hit something while driving, like a shopping cart.

4. KLOR's Soap Box Derby which took place on Mt. Tabor July 21 & 22, 1956. 250 boys registered.

[​IMG]

wingnutz and 36 ROKIT like this.
  5. Hakro

Hakro

A Finnish soap box car from the fifties:
    [​IMG]

Another one, a very aerodynamic design:
    [​IMG]

Trojan Horse, wingnutz and chryco like this.
  6. swi66

swi66

7. swi66

swi66

8. swi66

swi66

9. swi66

swi66

10. swi66

swi66

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Pike's Peak preps? Gary

12. bedwards

bedwards

This is the greatest thread. I just wish there were dates or even some history behind most of these pics!

scrubba likes this.
  13. Hakro

Hakro

I agree, and I tried to do it. I posted pictures with short information about the Nordic Special Racing Car class (from mid-thirties until mid-fifties). Everything disappeared very soon, I don't know why. Maybe the history is not desirable.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  14. bedwards

bedwards

Several seem like family pics and maybe that is why.

15. Hakro

Hakro

Yes, that's true, but most of the pictures seem to be picked from Internet where some information could be available. Usually information is given only if someone asks for it. It's a pity.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Norm Grabowski[​IMG]

hendelec likes this.
  17. Yeah, I dunno. I was being a smart alec when I made the snow comment. The guy at the tire has "Firestone Racing Division" on his jacket, so one wud think that some kind of testing was taking place.

18. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

19. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

is the red rail the VANDAL

20. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

HE KIDD WHERE DID YOU GET THAT T SHIRT PHOTO FROM

21. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

I now Pike Peak they may have been testing but this photo is not Pikes peak that doesnt say they didnt consider it

22. swi66

swi66

23. swi66

swi66

24. swi66

swi66

25. swi66

swi66

26. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

This brought back some memories for me. The Monkeemobile and a drag chute. When I was working with Craig Breedlove in the 1960's, we had a drag chute operation headed up by Jack Carter. We manufactured a 'chute called a "Tri-Form" drag chute (not the one in this photo). Somehow, we were hired to build a super large 'chute (in pink) that had the word "Kelloggs" in huge letters on it. It was a rush project (aren't they all?) and when the 'chute was finished, I was to take it up to Muroc Dry Lake and attach it on to the Monkeemobile for an ad that was going to run on the Monkee's TV show (Kelloggs was their sponsor). As it turned out, the Monkees were there, too, they were part of the ad, and the photo shoot took all day to film. Anyway, I had never seen the car itself and it was a piece of work (I'm sure that Dean had a tough time building that Pontiac in the time frame he was given, from what I heard). There was no rear suspension on the car, the rear axle was welded to the frame with some angle iron brackets. The frame was mostly cut out in the back to make room for a footwell for rear seat passengers. It was crude but so what? The problem was there was no frame structure to mount or anchor the 'chute shroud lines, except to loop it around the rear axle housing. The 'chute was big, about the size of the one in this photo, and the ad director in charge of the filming wanted a shot of the Monkees pulling the 'chute at 60 mph. I pleaded with the guy to either NOT go that fast or to not have the Monkees in the car. I was very concerned that at 60 mph with that large a 'chute, it might just pull the rear end out from under the car. We compromised on the speed, the 'chute deployed at 30 mph but even then I was worried, they had to shoot it from all these different angles and I had to sew in some small sand filled bags on the bottom of the 'chute to insure that the word "Kelloggs" was always level with the ground. It was a long day but hey, I got to hang with the Monkees (Mike Nesmith was a very bright guy)...

27. Mart

Mart

Neat story, George, that's what I like about this thread, all the backstorys.

Mart.

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

This is different, angle drive must have been stout![​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and chryco like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.