Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. swi66

swi66

4. Barbur Blvd, Burlingame community, Portland, Oregon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nice Kurtis at the salt flats! Thought it was a Muntz Jet when I first saw it.

6. Woman supposedly being arrested in Chicago for wearing a bathing suit without the required leg coverings. 1922
    [​IMG]

7. Makes sense to me!:rolleyes:

dad-bud likes this.
  8. Mill Creek Bridge, Douglas County, Hwy. 38
    [​IMG]

9. [​IMG]
    Lewellen, Nebraska

K.L likes this.
  10. old digger

old digger
    from Ramsey

Spent lots of nights at that place.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  11. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

sir, you got the goods

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The earliest auto camp in Southwest Portland was the Portland West Side Auto Camp, built at the heart of the John Slavin donation land claim. After Slavin died in 1908, his family subdivided and sold off the property. Dr. Edward A. Pierce bought the lot containing the 1882 Slavin house in 1917, remodeled it, added twenty-five cabins, and opened the Pierce Tuberculosis Sanatorium. Pierce closed the sanatorium in 1925 and leased the land and buildings to George and Elsie Battey, who converted the sanatorium into the Portland West Side Auto Camp. The camp was an immediate success. During the winter of 1925-6 the Battey’s demolished the Slavin house and used the wood to construct twenty – eight additional cabins. The camp operated from 1925 to 1953, first as an auto camp, then as a motel, and finally as a trailer park. Had those early auto tourists known some of the cabins they were staying in once housed tuberculosis patients, the camp probably would have seen few guests. The site of the auto camp (the northeast corner of SW Capitol Highway and SW Sunset) is occupied today by The Hillsdale library, apartments, homes, and commercial buildings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. swi66

swi66

14. swi66

swi66

15. swi66

swi66

16. flyin-t

flyin-t

What a great shot...

Murphy32 and hendelec like this.
  17. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

If I had to bet I'd say that there were likely multiple boxes like this painted on the front straight where the cars would be lined up before the start for driver introductions. And they were probably spaced so that the push trucks (or maybe pull trucks) could easily get into postion to get everyone started. Just a guess on my part so I'd welcome anyone to comment that might have more info.

18. JohnnyPayphone

JohnnyPayphone

This is just a guess, but I'm guessing the box is the "midget" qualification box, like the one you stick your carry-on into at the airport. If you want to race, your car has to fit all four wheels inside the box.

19. JohnnyPayphone

JohnnyPayphone

If you look at the tracks on the pavement, each person is pulling into the box, then pulling through and turning to the left. If it were a starting box the tracks would head straight out.

20. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I agree. One of the coolest shots on this thread. I would love to know where this is.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm leaning towards the "on deck" box. Perhaps before qualifying attempts? Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.