Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At 9:30 AM on May 13th, 1942 these Hood River residents of Japanese ancestry, under military guard, were loaded onto trains bound for internment camps in California and Idaho.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

Cooper Spur Ski Area, Mt. Hood 1926
    [​IMG]
    Homestead Inn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Redmond, Oregon 1921 (Central Oregon)
    [​IMG]

4. Okay, after this one I swear I'm done with the Hood River travelogue -
    Circa 1940
    [​IMG]
    Hood River prior to Interstate 84
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Maggie, the trailer pic is beyond cool. Notice the faces in the windows.

6. Farming in Scappoose, Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. Funny, I saw the first one initially, had to look for the second after you mentioned it.

8. [​IMG]
    Columbia County Courthouse, St. Helens, Oregon 1963

9. St. Helens, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    Chehalis, Washington (foothills of Mt. St. Helens)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  10. [​IMG]
    Columbia River Highway

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  12. samurai mike

samurai mike

this may be the most wonderful collection of american history ever! someone should put it all on disc, i would buy one in a heartbeat!

13. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

\'55 Thunderbird Jr.s.jpg
    I had someone not only share some great vintage photos of his first car but a great story that goes with it as well.
    Here is the story that came with the photo.
    Attached are two photos from October 1955 of my '55 Thunderbird Jr.
    Earlier that year my parents and I attended a food fair at the Hunt Armory in Pittsburgh,Pa. Jack's Cheese Twists had a display with a huge bag of Cheese Twists and a Thunderbird Jr.on an elevated platform at their booth. The closest guess of the total number of cheese twists in the bag would win the T-Bird Jr. My parents estimated the number of individual bags in the huge display bag, bought a regular size and then counted the number of cheese twists and multiplied it by their estimate. They submitted my name with their guess and the winning name was to be announced on radio (believe it was KDKA). I WON!
    The excitement from the wait was almost unbearable! My dad rented a U-Haul, hooked it to the rear of the family '41 Ford and brought the Thunderbird Jr. home from Jack's warehouse in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh. Once it was home I suddenly became very popular with kids my age in the neighborhood. Word spread to my Kindergarten class at Birdville Elementary School in Natrona Heights, Pa. and my teacher, Mrs. Delp thought it would be nice if the car could somehow be brought to the school to give each classmate a ride in the auditorium. And so my dad borrowed a co-worker's '49 Olds station wagon, wedged the T-Bird in the back and brought it to the school. Like a bigshot I took everyone for a ride one lap around the auditorium demonstrating the lights and horn. The local Valley Daily News was on hand with a photographer and covered it with a short story in the paper.
    The somewhat bent black and white photo was taken by the newspaper photographer and the picture taken on the playground was converted from a color slide. Somewhere I have more black and white snapshots of the T-Bird taken at home.
    The car originally had a huge Jack's Cheese Twists color decal on the rear decklid, but I believe my dad removed it soon after. Once I grew out of it the car sat for years until someone approached us about buying it for their young son. I wanted money anyway at the time to purchase ham radio equipment, so it went away in about 1965. A lot of great memories and I often wonder what became of it.
    Birdville School playgrounds.jpg

14. Welcome Hotel, Burns, Oregon 1930
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. McMinnville, Oregon
    [​IMG]

16. Cannon Beach ca. 1910
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In 1912, a group of four men and a dog, dubbed the "Pathfinders," set out in a 20-horsepower Flanders Studebaker to promote the Good Roads program and to highlight the need for better roads along the Central Oregon coast. These Pathfinders traveled the 23.5-mile stretch between Newport's bay front and the Siletz Bay—and back again—in the first motorized journey along the Oregon coast. This momentous journey took the Pathfinders 23 hours to complete, and often their route meandered along the soft sandy beaches. In this photo from the Lincoln County Historical Society archives, the Pathfinders are shown using a thick canvas sail they purchased from a recent ship wreck to get traction in the soft sand at Fogarty Creek.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    kiwijeff likes this.
  17. Traffic outside of Pilot Rock, Oregon (15 miles South of Pendleton)
    [​IMG]

18. Wake County Book Mobile
    [​IMG]

hendelec likes this.
  19. Sellwood Ferry, Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG]

20. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Time to stop, I have monopolized this thread all day.

36 ROKIT, kiwijeff and Gary Reynolds like this.
  21. Constructionbob

Constructionbob

Ü ..keep them commin. Love your pic's.

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

It DOES take a lot of time to post so many photos. We appreciate the effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.