Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juneau, Alaska 1955-ish
    [​IMG]

Fairbanks, Alaska 1955-ish
    [​IMG]

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Here's a photo of my Brother-in-law's 29 Ford Roadster which was taken in 1969, Long Beach,CA
    Big Dave\'s Roadster.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

7. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Obviously, he wanted race as much as he could. But at least part of the reason that Sweikert owned his own sprint car (and also took care of at least one other car) was to minimize the taxes from his race winnings. The wife of fellow driver Curley Boyd was pretty high up in the Indiana Department of Revenue. I've can't confirm it but the story goes that she helped Sweikert (and others) set up his racing operation so that he could legally invest more money in his race team instead of letting Uncle Sam get his hands on it.

8. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Wow! The Ross Page Offy (that some people now call the first Indy roadster) racing on dirt against a midget. This isn't ringing a bell. What's the story, Rootie? Thanks for posting!

Edit: After I posted I remembered that this car actually used a supercharged Duray engine

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  9. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

An interesting selection of pic's there Rootie.

Bob Marshman 1962 in Wally's 8, the 41 one of wally's roadsters, and is that Al Keller in the 16?

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

They brought the car out to the local short track (San Jose I think) for a demo/press deal and looks like they had a match race with a local midget racer too.
    With a centered driveline it probably isn't technically a roadster. To my mind it is probably more like a "modern" 2 man car in design with a fuel tank where a riding mechanic would have been. Near as I can tell it may have been the first round tube frame Indy car though. 1-15-i.JPG 1-15-j.JPG

wicarnut likes this.
  11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bruce Jacobi in the 16 car at Langhorne 64 I believe.
    I mentioned the 2 Wally M. roadsters the other day and then came across that shot and thought I'd throw it up. No idea why it's on the hook. Norm Hall wrecked it in 62 but it doesn't look wrecked in that pic, maybe they had some other problems.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Couple more shots of the Ross Page car. Cross leaf rear and Duray's super charger. 1-15-k.JPG 1-15-l.JPG

wicarnut likes this.
  13. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

[QUOTE="Rootie Kazoootie, post: 10795131, member: 23257 View attachment 2810602 [/QUOTE]

At one point in his career Bobby Marshman drove the Heydenreich family midget. Sometime after Bobby's death his father (George) gave his son's Sam Browne belt to a then very young Johnny Heydenreich. Johnny went on to become a well known driver himself and still races today in USAC Silver Crown cars. And he still has Bobby Marshman's Sam Browne belt; likely the same one that Bobby is using in this photo.

14. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Rootie, do you happen to know who is driving the car at San Jose? It's hard to tell in the photo but somehow it doesn't look like Agabashian; at least to me.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, I agree it's not Freddie A. (btw-the driver of the Hovey Spl. midget in the same photo set.) I was thinking it was Mel Hansen, the first driver of the R/P car but it doesn't look much like him either. (?) 1-15-m.JPG

16. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

17. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Somebody got a D in English... :)

RedlandMaggie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.