Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another shot of the old Radio Cab lot.
    [​IMG]

2. 3rd & Morrison, don't know what year.

[​IMG]

3. Another seldom seen shot of The Bomber

[​IMG]

4. As Portland as it gets, cruising Brodway! A HUGE deal then! Thousands of cars...there was little else to do!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  5. God, I thought this was so cool as akid! Is it still there?

[​IMG]

6. Parking lot of Tektronix in Beaverton. One of the first tech giants, they made ocilloscopes.

[​IMG]

7. The Mill Stream, now a cheezy strip joint. Behind it flows Johnson Creek, hence the name.
    I got Salmonella there as a kid! Went to the hospital for a week!
    [​IMG]

NHRANUT likes this.
  8. Interesting item concerning the Tonkin brothers, mega car dealer Ron and lesser known Marv.
    Ron sold Chevy's, Marv Fords. I remember the Saudi students tossing around money in the late 60's -70's. That was BIG bucks in those days.

[​IMG]

NHRANUT likes this.
  9. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Now that's some traction

10. Yaws Top Notch. THE coolest spot in Puddletown!

[​IMG]

11. ONCE AGAIN....I'm not a pro blogger and am not a photographer!
    I TRY to give credit for pics when I can, sometimes I miss stuff! I'm not profiting in any sense by posting, if I have slighted anybody, it's not intentional! I ONLY post because I love history, the HAMB and want to share cool stuff with fellow HAMB'ers!

12. 296ardun

296ardun

More Pasadena photos:

bantam.jpg
    Bantam 3-window, in front of the Royal Laundry, 442 S. Raymond, early 30's...Notice the tilework in the background...it is still there:

upload_2014-12-13_17-11-0.png
    It is behind the sort-of-gray SUV

ajaxhelper.jpg

baking.jpg
    Fleet of baking trucks...bread and other baked goods home delivered, remember when?

chev.jpg
    Wonder what it went for?

marengo hotel.jpg
    Marengo Hotel, S. Marengo...wonder what kind of roadster that is?

overland.jpg

The start of an economy run...

raymond.jpg
    South Raymond

theater.jpg
    Pasadena Theater next to Western Auto...Colorado Blvd used to have dozens of movie theaters, I think that they are all gone now...

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  13. The old Harbor Blvd. Used to be visiting US Navy ships tied right up to the seawall! I saw the (then) amazingUSS Nautilus submarine there in, I think, 1959.

[​IMG]

296ardun likes this.
  14. The Cosmo Hotel. I met Larry Fynnt of Hustler magazine fame
    there in , I guess, about 78?
    This place was considered pretty sophisticated in the 60's!
    Dig the Stude and ( I think) Packard parked!
    [​IMG]

15. The Mallory Motor Hotel Portland
    [​IMG]

16. The Mouseketeers in the Rose Parade!
    [​IMG]

17. KPTV, I think Oregon's oldest TV station. I just love those post war cars! Cool fastbacks!
    We had a '48 Chevy Fleetline when I was a kid, it was gray, had the passsenger strap across the back of the front deat. Mohair a go go. My brother and I drove my poor Dad crazy flaping that strap constantly riding in the back.

[​IMG]

18. One of the old Fred Meyers. The REAL Freddies were great, true one stop shopping, EVERY product there was in one store, hardware, clthes, records, books, jewelry, you name it , plus groceries! NOT like todays Fred's ( owned by Kroeger) at all!
    Some had rooftop parking.
    [​IMG]

19. GREAT SHOT!
    I also remember drooling at the House of Hardtops lot on Union Ave. Corvette city!
    I think Smed's Automotive was almost across the street.
    Those little car lots on Union, 52nd and 82nd were cool and had some good stuff!
    Thanks for posting!

20. 296ardun

296ardun

Great shot...I think the restaurant owner bought the B-17 for a tiny sum from the field where it was going to be scrapped , flew it to Portland, and mounted it atop his restaurant...I seem to remember that recently it was removed with a huge crane and is now going to be restored...anyone else know

21. 296ardun

296ardun

The ship with the twin funnels painted yellow and blue (black on top) was an MSTS troop/dependent transport, designated T-AP (AP was personnel transport, the "T": meant it was with the Military Sea Transportation Service)...I spent almost two years of my Navy time on one of these, the USS General William Mitchell (T-AP-114)...it was miserable duty, sailed 100,000 miles a year hauling troops, dependents, dogs & cats, etc. across the Pacific. The only way to get off such a ship was to volunteer for duty in Vietnam, which over 50 of us did when that option became available!...I would love to know which of the MSTS transports this is (they were all decommissioned and sold for scrap).

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  23. The story is quite interesting. Art Lacey and his buddies flew the surplus B-17 from I think, Oklahoma to Troutdale airport, not being rated on a multi engine aircraft and NEVER having flown a B-17 before! In other words....they winged it!
    Trucked it to Milwaulkie. It's being restored, a long and costly process for an aircraft that's been outside for that many years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.