The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.
Santa Fe bridge from Mexico
This might be dinosaur national park.
Yes, the track was located in Culver City, build after the Beverly Hills board track was demolished to make way for development. Here is a quote from the Culver City Historical Society website:
By 1924, the Beverly Hills Speedway property became far too valuable, and the Speedway Corporation made plans to build anew on the site of a failed horse-racing track in Culver City, known then (and now) as The Heart of Screenland as it is the home to several movie studios. In addition to having low cost land, the second factor in selecting Culver City was its strategic location on three streetcars lines. Designer Pillsbury, as at Beverly Hills, used the Searles Spiral Easement Curve, a common railroad design concept for triple radius corners, for smooth high-speed transitions entering and exiting the new tracks 45-degree banked corners. The Beverly Hills track held its final race meet on February 24, 1924, during which Harlan Fengler set a worlds record of 116 MPH average for the 250 miles. After the Beverly Hills track was dissembled, the world-famous Beverly Wilshire Hotel was built on a portion of the site. Some historians claim that the Beverly Hills track was relocated to Culver City, but this seems unlikely, as Culver City featured steeper banking and the grandstands were not as luxurious as those at Beverly Hills were. In September 1924, the City of Culver City accepted the Speedway land for public street maintenance purposes. The initial goal of a 1924 Thanksgiving Day Culver City race was postponed after construction was delayed by two late fall rainstorms.
The first track was bounded by Culver Blvd and Overland, but after 1927 the track was moved to the corner of Lincoln and Washington Blvds. The site also notes the track's connection to Karl and Veda Orr:
Karl and Veda Orr, though best known for their land speed racing, ran a wide range of racing cars out of their speed shop located at 11140 Washington Place in Culver City. In addition to racing on the dry lakes, the Orrs owned a midget, sprint car and track roadster. Karl had relocated from Missouri around 1929, met his wife Veda in 1936, and together they opened one of the earliest Southern California speed shops in 1940. Veda was not only handy with wrenches, she raced cars at the dry lakes, setting multiple speed records, and wrote articles for racing magazines. The Orr Speed Shop location is now a barbershop.
And, as Don noted, it was also used for greyhound racing.
There is lots of great hot rodding history on this site as well:
and another picture of the track:
Separate names with a comma.