Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Thinking Small – Baby Cars: Is a very interesting post that we have up featuring small cars with H-D and Indian motorcycle engines. This car was built by Floyd Clymer in Denver, Colorado in 1920. It was driven by Hart Hueraine “Hal” Bowman (pictured behind the wheel) in 1920 and it was the only car of it’s type in the Midwest at the time and had to compete with the big cars on dirt ovals. Learn and see more photos on The Old Motor.

2. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

The Don Lee Cadillac Agency Service Department: This 1932 photo shows us the service department interior along with its deluxe lube rack in the lubrication bay, at Don Lee Cadillac, which was located at 655 East Green Street in Pasadena, California. The agency was one of the most famous Cadillac dealers in the world at the time. See this this photo in detail along with others on The Old Motor.

3. WTF? test firing machine guns?

4. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Yes, this was the way aiming the guns was handled. Each gun would converge at a certain point of impact.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's called 'Harmonising', it is basically aiming the guns so they converge at a set distance in front of the aircraft. Also a wing gun camera is also 'Harmonised' to film whatever the aircraft (In this case a Hurricane) shoots at.

Doc.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

54Buick, you type faster than I can!! :)

7. Tanks guys!

8. njlou

njlou
    from new jersey

re: #72064
    What is that vertical device in the front of the engine?
    Supercharger or oil cooler ???

9. 27 feet of ammo per each gun... "The Whole Nine Yards"!

Did the Brits have 27 feet as well or "The Whole Nine Meters"????

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. empire

empire

Hi Novadude,

I often wonder when I post photos of people or incidents if anyone might know of someone involved, relative or friend. Then it becomes more personal, closer to home and makes the world much smaller and more intimate. Makes me think..why can't we all just get along.

I have many friends who have lost loved ones in battle for their country, they are all heroes, may your Grandfather rest in Peace.

And thanks for the history on the solomons and the cameraman .

11. empire

empire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

“The Lingotto building, Turin, Italy, once housed a Fiat factory. Built between 1916 and 1923, the design had five floors, raw materials going in at the ground floor, and cars built on a line that went up through the building. Finished cars emerged at rooftop level, where there was a rooftop test track. It was the largest car factory in the world at the time. Le Corbusier called it “one of the most impressive sights in industry”, and “a guideline for town planning”.”

12. scrubba

scrubba

Imagine that, a racing track on top of a building ! hey, I thought having an elevator that took cars up to the top of a garage was pretty kwell. scrubba

13. That first drop over the guardrail would be terrifying!

14. Lil32

Lil32

Who is going to this years L.A.Roadster Show June 2013.

15. empire

empire

16. papastoyss

papastoyss

The B26 was also known as the widowmaker as many were crashed on takeoff & landing due to the higher speeds required. My dad was a tailgunner in one of these.RIP The Lutwaffe didn't get him but cigarettes did at the age of 54. He was a Tennessee country boy who grew up in the Depression.He could shoot the eyes out of a squirrel in the top of a hickory tree!

17. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Boys on the hunt

18. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

19. How many of you guys attended a rural one-room school house?

This is the one in Montezuma, Colorado which is a town of about 100 population about 80 miles west of Denver. It sits in a high mountain canyon at a little over 10,000 ft. elevation.

The school house was in daily operation from about 1883 until 1962. It is now a museum and has been restored. I helped with the restoration which was completed about 3 years ago.

Attached Files:

20. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

21. She's starting to show the wear from never being out of the limelight. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide......

22. I guess everybody thinks that it is M M, but I am doubtful. Study the facial profile, I can't see her there. And that may not be the K boys either.

23. The more I study the cheek structure the more I think you are right....

24. I'm thinking you are both correct...

25. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Robert F. Kennedy, left, Marilyn Monroe and President John F. Kennedy in 1962 photo taken by Cecil Stoughton. Historian Arthur Schlesinger is on the far right. Singer Harry Belafonte can be seen facing the camera in the rear
    <a href="http://s614.photobucket.com/user/hotrd32/media/4g41uw_zpscdc8ab6d.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  26. lewislynn

lewislynn

Yeah well, she wears it well. A lot women would kill to wear that well.

27. Anyone who can't tell that it's Marilyn is blind.

28. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Dang, who wouldnt give an arm to be in their shoes at that given moment?

29. think you mean #72063, it's the legendary Auto Union Type C race car from the german 1930s, Audi, who is todays 'grandkid' of the former AutoUnion, reconstructed one of these cars by using old photographes.

incredible, and yes, it is a supercharger you see in front, V16 supercharged engine. i saw it several times in action, look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXgqZr8-5k

the sound just blew me away!

30. swi66

swi66

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.