Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. DJCallaghan

DJCallaghan
    from Australia

Now THAT'S different, front driveline, steering and handling would have presented a problem or two!!

7. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Boulder Park, Indian Falls NY
    [​IMG]

What's left
    [​IMG]

8. That is a lakes car, they were testing it without the body. For the life of me I cant remember who's it was!
    I am sure someone will be able to fill in my failed memory.:eek:

Doc.

9. Nitro Nick

Nitro Nick

We had this happen at a place I worked at. A truck wheel came off the left front hand side and punched its way through a double brick wall of our factory about eight feet up - glad I didn't get hit by it.:D

10. Gettysburg PA 1963
    [​IMG]

11. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Hoopes Brothers & Darlington were wooden wheel manufacturers in West Chester, Pa. A Smithsonian Institution Film, we have posted on The Old motor shows the interesting craft of wooden wheel making, filmed at the wheel maker before they closed in the early 1970s.

With the exception of some of the wagon style wooden hubs seen in the film, the process is quite close to what is involved in making an automobile or truck wheel. The first part of the film takes the process from the log and sawing it, to steaming the wood fellows in an autoclave and the fascinating process of fellow bending and finishing.

The second part starts with making the hubs, it then moves onto assembling the hubs and spokes and next the fellows are installed onto the spokes. The steel fellow band or tire, is then cut to length, formed, welded and installed and compressed to make it tight on the wheel. Take the time to watch both parts as it is quite interesting.

Much of the machinery that you will see in the film is similar to and some of it may possibly be as old as is seen in the 1903 advertisement (above) for the Defiance Machine Works. This link will take you to the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.