Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

What's a grenade inspector?:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

"They Were Expendable" poster
    thanks to Wikipedia and shown
    here under "fair use" rationale.
    '42 poster, still under copyright.

3. thanks Jim, you're right, thought i reminded that Jane was blond, but she wasn't, i'm sorry..

4. Hey, thanks, Gary, a shot from my hometown Hamburg, Germany, plates say Hamburg, occupied by british allied forces (BH british Hamburg), 1948, the Campbell eye shop is still at this adress, looks still nice today, look:

[​IMG]

Carsten

5. Johnny99

Johnny99

Family road trip stuff. Two maybe three years before I was born. Couple are a little blurry, sorry. Have a great weekend all.

John

Attached Files:

6. If I can borrow the family albums from my uncle - I can add lots of logging photos from the Skykomish, WA area - my great grandfather was part owner of Bloedel-Donovan and other logging operations for a time there. We recently donated some Darius Kinsey family photos to the Whatcom County Museum http://www.whatcommuseum.org/photo-archives/category/1-darius-kinsey

Our great grandfather was an interesting guy - Camp Perry still gives a trophy in his name http://www.nrablog.com/post/2011/09/08/George-R-Farrs-record-setting-Springfield-1903-rifle.aspx

Margaret

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

SWI66, thanks for the photo of John Meuller's "Double T." He was a family friend, and we only lived a couple of blocks from that garage. Spend a LOT of time there growing up. He had one of the first TV sets in the neighborhood in there, and I remember running to the garage after school to watch what was left of the first game of the World Series. Got to see Tommy Heinrich hit the game-winning homer in the bottom of the ninth. Think that was 1948 or 49. John's brother, Fred, ran the Toll House Tavern on Frankfort Avenue just across from the north end of the garage. John and his wife eventually moved to Florida and operated a motel in Nokomis. After coming out of the service, I spent a LOT of time in Fred's place.

8. Grants Pass, Oregon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Long Lake, Michigan

[​IMG]

10. Burnside St. Portland, Oregon 1930

[​IMG]

After widening project 1931

[​IMG]

11. Airlie, Oregon 1939

[​IMG]

12. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

Do any of the women show up in period hair/attire?

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hiya, Maggie. That's EXCITING & what Dog's thread is all about.:) But, everybody here knows that this is ADDICTIVE:eek:, so PLEASE don't burn yourself out, gal!:eek: Post what you can, when you can. We'll be good with that. No one person can do it all. So when you get tired or have an off day, go on a business trip, etc., etc., others will sure fill in! Everybody misses big posters of the past years, and many do still visit and contribute occasionally. But I'm sure a few folks are like me; I love Dog's thread so much that I neglect other threads of my OWN on the HAMB!:rolleyes:

You and Eddie have surely fit right in with the contributions of YellerSpirit, SWI, Ron,Dog, LowKat ... and SCORES of others! :D

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

TWO-sided hit, far as I'm concerned!:cool: Hey, look, even in '62, Mike Love
    was losing his hair already.:p

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Hey, anybody remember the flip side to Robert Zimmerman's "Positively 4th
    Street" ('65)? Doesn't ring a bell with me.:rolleyes:

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

Yep, probably a third of the people are 'really into it'. Most of the rest are simply tourists who've turned up to have a look - it's right in the middle of Liverpool city centre, that has now become a bit of a shrine to the Beetles.
    The musicians are of varying capabilities (all a million times better than me), but the tunes are played with gusto and everyone is only there to have a good time.
    It's not bad - not cheesy or anything - just people making a living of one of the best things to come out of Liverpool.
    It is definitely well worth a visit if you're nearby. Low entry fee and low drink prices.
    Cheers.

17. skirtless33

skirtless33

I would say she had Betty Davis eyes.

18. c57heaven

c57heaven

Somebody's horsey didn't clear the left rear fender!

19. 46dave

46dave

Here are some pictures of my rides from days gone by..

20. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Do my old eyes deceive me or is that a Willys coupe next to the building?

My first guess was a caribou... :eek:

21. I see Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and President Harding in this photo, can anyone identify some of the others?
    [​IMG]

I think this is Harvey Firestone with Henry, can anyone confirm?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics are circa 1921, not sure of location but likely someplace in northern Michigan.

22. Rent A. Trip

Rent A. Trip

Between 1915 and 1924, Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Harvey Firestone, and John Burroughs, calling themselves the Four Vagabonds, embarked on a series of summer camping trips. The idea was initiated in 1914 when Ford and Burroughs visited Edison in Florida and toured the Everglades. The notion blossomed the next year when Ford, Edison and Firestone were in California for the Panama-Pacific Exposition. They visited Luther Burbank and then drove from Riverside to San Diego.

http://youtu.be/C0zKDIs_bWs

In 1916, Edison invited Ford, Burroughs and Harvey Firestone to journey through the New England Adirondacks and Green Mountains; Ford, however, was unable to join the group. In 1918, Ford, Edison, Firestone, his son Harvey, Burroughs, and Robert DeLoach of the Armour Company, caravanned through the mountains of West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia. Subsequent trips were made in 1919 to the Adirondacks and New England; in 1920 to John Burroughs' home and cabin retreat into the Catskill Mountains; in 1921 to West Virginia and northern Michigan; and in 1923 to northern Michigan. In 1924, the group journeyed to northern Michigan by train, gathered again at Henry and Clara Ford's Wayside Inn in Massachusetts, and visited President Coolidge at his home in Vermont.

[​IMG]

The trips were well organized and equipped. There were several heavy passenger cars and vans to carry the travelers, household staff, and equipment; Ford Motor Company photographers also accompanied the group. The 1919 trip involved fifty vehicles, including two designed by Ford: a kitchen camping car with a gasoline stove and built-in icebox presided over by a cook and a heavy touring car mounted on a truck chassis with compartments for tents, cots, chairs, electric lights, etc. On later trips, there was a huge, folding round table equipped with a lazy susan that seated twenty. After 1924, the growing fame of the campers brought too much public attention and the trips were discontinued.

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You are not seeing things,its a Willys.

24. I admit I've been flooding the site with photos (maybe I want to graduate from grenade inspector, then I'll slow down :D ), Photobucket makes it so easy now, and I love old pictures of stuff (good thing this isn't a cowgirl or cowboy site, you'd be in trouble from me then). I like sharing fun stuff.

Margaret

1937 chev likes this.
  25. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

26. Biggs Junction, Oregon - Columbia River Gorge

[​IMG]

Biggs-Maryhill Ferry, Columbia River Gorge (replaced by a bridge)

[​IMG]

27. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.