Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a bloke

a bloke

Image name says Deborah Walley.

2. rstahle

rstahle

Mom & Pop on their Indian. SCAN0002.jpg

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG] [/FONT]
    Image THANKS to MagazineArt.org!

At first, I was a little surprised to see this August 1923 cover depicting an astronaut, complete
    with helmet. Then I remembered Frenchman George Melies' wildly popular 1902 movie, "A
    Trip to the Moon," loosely based on Jules Verne's "From the Earth to the Moon" and H.G. Wells'
    "The First Men in the Moon." Melies was actually a pro magician and inventor, but he quickly
    saw cinematic possibilities incorporating magic and "camera tricks." Fanciful though it was,
    Melies' film was really a satire, poking fun at science and the stuffy scientific establishment!
    YOU can clearly see this if you review a copy of the movie, complete with its originally ending
    -- thought lost until only about a decade ago! The movie has been meticulously restored, in
    both its original black-and-white and hand-colorized versions. Wow! Here's a 110-year-old
    movie that still passes my first test of a "good" flick: It's entertaining!

"A Trip to the Moon" was and is Melies' best known and most popular movie, though he made
    little money on the movie's U.S. circulation. Why? Most of the prints shown in the U.S. were
    pirated by Thomas Edison's technicians. International copyright law was a shakey affair in
    1902, so Edison was not compelled to pay Melies for his work. Though Melies continued to
    make movies for years, his visual compositions consisted mostly of stiffly edited, static single
    scenes, usually lacking even close-ups. Not surprisingly, more progressive film techniques --
    including editing together multiple shots and camera angles to build scenes -- helped the
    likes of D.W. Griffith, and even Edison himself, to great progress and financial success, while
    Melies' studio eventually went out of business. But, arguably the first to use special effects
    and animation in movies, Melies will always be the CREATEUR du SPECTACLE CINEMATO-
    GRAPHIQUE!

[​IMG]

Iconic shot from George Melies' 1902 satire, "A Trip to the Moon,"
    contributed to Tumblr by user MannuwanKenobi. Thank you!

[​IMG]

A summary of key "A Trip to the Moon" scenes, contributed to Tumblr by member CultureTrust.

4. John F

John F

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

This 2011 photo is perfect proof that MetalShapes, Ryan, Kevin and all the moderators "get" this thread AND do follow the thread. It illustrates the "Then&Now":cool: theme that Mo introduced, I think, within the first year of Dog's thread. As Metalshapes said (paraphrasing), a more recent shot that illustrates a valid and valuable point is tolerated.;) But it shouldn't be construed as a chink in the armor of the HAMB rules. We must be reasonable, e.g., when one poster shows an original Tucker photo, and another shows a artist's computer-graphic rendition of what a 2011 Tucker might have looked like. Or, someone shows vintage Barbara Eden, and another shows one of how she looks now in her 70s. (And someone shows a bit more!:D)

Before I shut up entirely on the subject, I do feel that most HAMBers who are vested in this thread (as opposed to occasional visitors and first-timers, who can be forgiven for goofing up) REALLY APPRECIATE the efforts of ALL the mods -- as well as the reality that we (myself included) tend to get OT now and then. Seriously, SORRY that we cause you to tear your hair.:eek: Thanks, Metalshapes for saying it's (usually?) worth it!:)

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Rent A. Trip [​IMG]
    Photo above Ed Iskenderian is on the right *(closest to center)
    -
    July 31 2011 Isky Celebrated 90th Birthday *wearing Fedora Hat*
    -
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I know ...I keep trying to explain that to my girlfriend :D

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Some great old cover art, thanks to MagazineArt.org! :cool:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

8. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

she was on rowan & martins "laugh in " with goldie hawn

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Great January 1945 pulp fiction cover art, thanks to a keen site called Hidden Knowledge
    (MagazineArt.org). They love pop culture, so try and search them, if you have hours to spend!

10. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

11. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

12. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Some classic Packard ads, thanks to MagazineArt.org. Amazingly (to me, anyway:eek:),
    in the second magazine ad, it's 1938! Yet Packard is already playing heavily on nostalgia!
    Awesome.;)

[​IMG]

September 9, 1909, Life, the Humor Magazine

[​IMG]

April 30, 1938 Collier's

14. This was from a Twilight Zone show if I remember correctly.

15. Looks like Judy Carne but the link shows Deborah Walley/

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Deborah Walley was in on the first wave of '60s surf movies. She's
    shown here with her singing co-star, James Darren ("Goodbye, Cruel
    World!"), while heartthrob Michael Callan is "supporting player":D to
    Vicki Trickett in 1961's "Gidget Goes Hawaiian." Pic thanks to Holly-
    woodTeenMovies. BTW, Darren was the only actor to appear in all
    three of the original Gidget movies, playing surfer Moondoggie:cool:,
    Gidget's love interest. He played opposite Sandra Dee:eek: in 1959's
    "Gidget." Walley beat out 150 other actresses to play Gidget, fol-
    lowing Dee.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Deborah Walley in more "TeensPloitation," :rolleyes:
    thanks to 1966MyFavoriteYear.

[​IMG]

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

For the Barbara Eden fans here! :p

[​IMG]

Coppertone, 1964 ad posted to Tumblr by user HiDeeLee.

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Pretty sure it's Deborah Walley. She had short hair in the early & mid-'60s. Goatboy may have thought of Jo Anney Worley because Walley and Worley have a similar ring. I couldn't find any mention of Deborah ever appearing as a guest on "Laugh In."

20. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

This has got to be Atlantic City, NJ. And I would hazzard to guess that it's during the Miss America peagent of 1950 or '51, judging by the Rambler that MM is riding in.
    The Breakers Hotel was still going strong in 1960 when my Pops bought a house in AC to use as income property and family beach house. Every year in the fall, September I believe, AC was invaded by a fleet of tripple white brand new Oldsmobile 98 convertibles. These were for use in the Miss America peagent, carrying the contestants down the boardwalk and into Convention Hall for the actual event itself. So they used at least 50 of the big white Oldsmobiles.
    I guess this pic was taken before Olds got the gig, if this is the Miss America deal, and if it is AC.
    And if you own a tripple white Olds 98 convertible from the '60s, you might have one of the Miss America fleet cars!

21. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Lived close to this little roadside attraction. This was between Santa Barbara and Carpenteria, not far from Summerville.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Popular Aviation, June 1928, at a time before The Crash when the whole world was crazy optimistic overtechnology, particularly it involved wheels or wings! :cool: THANKS to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hidden
    History (MagazineArt.org).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That's the ticket! Put the TOBACCO BACK into Xmas! :eek: LOL. Ad from the pages of Scientific [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]American, December 11, 1920, THANKS to [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hidden History (MagazineArt.org).[/FONT]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  23. biscaynes

biscaynes

looks alot like jill st. john

24. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

25. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

26. yellerspirit

yellerspirit