Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for the personal insight, Leon. Your and Ron's commentaries help to flesh out the part of the story a photo alone can't tell.;) Going all the way back to Mazooma telling why he wore his cap-gun holster in front:D, I've enjoyed the back stories as much as the photos! THANKS, all!

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

You are correct!
    [​IMG]

Number 4449 is the only surviving pre-war GS class locomotive and the only surviving Streamlined passenger locomotive from that period in existence. She served Southern Pacific from 1941 until 1956 when she was retired to the SP reserve fleet. She was donated to the City of Portland in 1958 and put on outside display, never to run again. The only reason she was picked over all the other Daylights, Cab Forwards, etc in the reserve fleet is because she was the newest addition and could be moved out with the fewest number of switching changes and effort.

When the engine was on display at Oaks Park, Jack Holst, a Southern Pacific employee, looked after 4449. Holst kept the engines' bearings and rods oiled in case they were ever to move again. Holst died in 1972 and never got to see 4449 return to operation. in 1974 was considered for restoration to pull the American Freedom Train for the Bi-Centennial. Thanks to Holst's dedication...her bearings and rods were found in excellent shape.

Here she is in her heyday in the 1940's

[​IMG]

HJmaniac likes this.
  6. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Thanks for the info, MrModelT. Very interesting!

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

You are quite welcome!

The 4449 has been fully restored and operational since 1975 and still makes regular passenger excursions throughout the NW. Her latest Trip was earlier this month to Bend, OR.

The 4449 and her two "sister" engines are preserved and operated by the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation and just completed their new home...a restoration, learning and interpretive center here in Portland.

Learn more about them here:

www.orhf.org

and here:

www.4449.com

8. 11E

11E
    from USA

Uhhh....source, please. I'm a Medical Technologist with decades in immunology and have never heard that particular interpretation of events.
    Abstracts from any peer-reviewed journals of science and medicine will be welcome. May I suggest PubMed?. Here's the link to get you started.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Moving as your account is, I suspect you have a flawed understanding of the vaccine development history that has skewed your perspective based on personal experience. It was VERY well known that there was an inactivated vs. attenuated virus form of the vaccine and this was no secret to the public. The oral, however, had a great advantage of route of administration and patient compliance for submission. Frankly, I doubt the more lurid interpretation that your account implies and it's incumbent upon you to provide support for that assertion.

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

These photos are from the CT Historical Society and are likely photos that no one has ever seen before. Please click on them to make them larger. Enjoy!

Official Pilot car: CT Reliability Contest

ajaxhelper.jpg

Ernest Post's Car w/ Rumble Seat: Mystic, CT

ajaxhelper7].jpg

Eddie Bald driving a Columbia Racing Car at Charter Oak Park West Hartford, CT

ajaxhelper9.jpg

10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

More pictures from Connecticut: PLease click to enlarge

Charles Lindbergh in parade on Main Street Hartford, CT

ajaxhelper3.jpg

the 20th Lozier car built by the Lozier Motor Company, NY
    ajaxhelper4.jpg

F.F. Norris in a Pope tribune car Hartford, CT

ajaxhelper9.jpg

Mystic, CT

ajaxhelper45.jpg

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

More photos: (click to enlarge them)

Mystic, CT area

ajaxhelper1.jpg

Joseph Brown & his first car

ajaxhelper2.jpg

Fred Wright in Pope Hartford Automobile which belonged to Thomas C. Perkins Hartford, CT

ajaxhelper5.jpg

William H. Mortenson Hartford, CT

ajaxhelper6.jpg

Pope Automobile Model S

ajaxhelper7.jpg

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Here are a bunch more from Connecticut (click to enlarge)

ajaxhelper.jpg

ajaxhelper1.jpg

ajaxhelper2.jpg

ajaxhelper3.jpg

ajaxhelper4.jpg

ajaxhelper5.jpg

ajaxhelper6.jpg

ajaxhelper7.jpg

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Crash on East Windsor Hill, CT

ajaxhelper.jpg

Perhaps the first CT Car Club?

ajaxhelper1.jpg

Danbury Fair, CT

ajaxhelper2.jpg

New Haven before they "revitalized" this area

ajaxhelper3.jpg

Atlantic Station New Haven, CT

ajaxhelper4.jpg

14. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I'll guess c1963 judging by the Monogram "Red Chariot" phaeton kit at lower right and the AMT 'Double T' kit at top right.

Note also the Monogram '32 "Sport Coupe" at middle right above the horse kit.

15. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

My father was a very prominent physician in L.A., taught medicine at USC, was chief of staff at a couple of well known hospitals. He was aware that there were some problems with the original vaccines, I don't recall the details, but he was very cautious about my having the vaccine when it became available in the mid-50's and as a result I did not receive the Polio vaccine until I was starting college in '62 and the sugar cube vaccine had been developed.

16. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Everything I said about Mary and her twin is fact not hearsay.Both received injected Vaccine I never said I knew what type they got. Both were injected within minutes of each other Mary got Polio Sue did not and this was shortly after getting vaccinated.I'm not a medical professional but have read multiple times how people coming into contact with Vaccinated patients contracted Polio from them Simply typing Polio in your browser will find you all kinds of information on the vaccines.I didn't even know there were more than the Saulk Vaccines.Anyone can check these sites for themselves.I did read that one vaccine was developed to use in depressed areas and third world countries as I said to "spread" the vaccine through contact, The idea being more people would get vaccinated this way BUT they found out just the opposite resulted and more people got polio by contact than got immunized and that vaccine practice was stopped. Some doctors even refused to give polio vaccinations because they said they were not safe!
    http://www.henrymakow.com/hidden_history_of_vaccines.html

17. J_J_

J_J_

Remember Doctors are just practicing medicine...

18. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

19. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

20. Please consider reducing the size your pictures before posting them here full size. Since most monitors only display around 1600 x 1200 pixels, or less, there's really not much need to post a 3498 x 4714 pixel image. And they'll upload faster for you and the forum page will open more quickly too. An 800 x 600 image or thereabouts is usually big enough. :D

21. noboD

noboD

And half of them graduate in the lower 50% of their class.

22. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

X2,, YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, holy shit, please go back and edit that , sheesh:eek:

24. axe grinder

axe grinder

25. axe grinder

axe grinder

26. Holy crap, yeah PLEASE!. We really enjoy the pics but -resize 'em. - I think it shot my eye out! :eek: :D

27. axe grinder

axe grinder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.