Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That is a great picture of "Princess Elizabeth", 10 years later, she would rule the "British Empire". Thanks for adding that photo.:D Here's a couple more, of a beautiful Queen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. cryobug

cryobug

Back in the 60s I remember watching Flippo and Soupy Sales after I got out of elementary school In Logan. I remember the beginning of Flippo’s show had him driving crazy in a BMW Isetta. Thanks for bringing back some good memories

3. While searching for something else, I came upon these pics of industrial locomotives, built by "Mack Trucks". Learn something new everyday. Nobody at work had ever heard of this either. (I work at a Mack Dealership).:D

Attached Files:

4. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Yeah,they sure did. About half of 'em crashed,BUT everybody learned what not to do. Paving the way for successful designs like the Concorde. The B-58 was a cold war hot rod meant to scare the bejezzus out of the Russians,and in that context,it worked. However,Gen. Curtis LeMay hated it because it drew attention away from the B-52. And,he was right. I was stationed at Davis-Monthan when the B-58's were decommissioned. I got to see 50 of 'em lined up,waiting to be processed in. That sight FLOORED ME! :eek:

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^I remember hearing that they had some aero problems associated with weapons delivery, in that the nukes didn't separate from the aircraft correctly or consistently, which caused the ordnance to tumble or otherwise not take the required trajectory. Unlike hand grenades, I guess you can miss with a nuke. But the aircraft sure was cool looking and very fast. Gary

7. swi66

swi66

8. swi66

swi66

9. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kumph Motor Car, Denver
    [​IMG]

10. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Marquette MI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Michigan Lake Amusement Park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    May Co. Denver 1957
    [​IMG]
    Calumet MI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Bloomfield IA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    East Orange NJ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dunellen NJ
    [​IMG]
    Jersey City
    [​IMG]
    Union City NJ
    [​IMG]
    Sanbornville NH

13. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    St Louis MO
    [​IMG]
    Kalamazoo
    [​IMG]
    Cumberland MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ft Wayne IN
    [​IMG]
    Hampton VA
    [​IMG]
    Santa Rosa CA
    [​IMG]

14. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>[SIZE=-1]Spokane, Washington has had it's share of firsts... one of the most unique is the right to say that the first mechanical parking structure, Pigeon Hole Parking, was invented and patented in Spokane prior to 1950 by local inventors, the Sanders brothers, Vaughn and Leo.

These engineering marvels showcased the beginnings of robotic parking and consisted of a vertical framework of steel parking stalls and a movable hydraulic elevator for lifting and sliding the[/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[SIZE=-1]automobiles into them. More than 110 cars could be parked in a lot only 50 feet wide, stacked like cracker boxes in the banks of "pigeon holes".[/SIZE]

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>[SIZE=-1]To showcase and market their invention in 1950, they constructed installations in their hometown of Spokane, like the four story parking structure located at N 22 Madison. People passing by could not help but to stop and be mesmerized by the almost futuristic sight in front of them as the cars were being lifted and placed into their "pigeon hole" parking slots.
    [​IMG][/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

15. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Interesting building. Where is this and most importantly, does it still exist.

16. swi66

swi66

17. Post # 48193,
    I'm about to be 64, and I can remember going to watch my dad and his friends work in shops with dirt floors. It was packed hard, and had a smell, and feel you won't forget.
    At the time, we lived way out on the toolies, and these old buildings was all there were.
    Threads like this are the stuff that makes the HAMB what it is.
    Thanks, Ryan....

18. Mart

Mart

Interesting to see he is using a screwdriver. I remember seeing some valves with a screwdriver slot across the middle of the head.

Mart.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was at that stage when Bob began to think his double garlic and tuna malt may have been a mistake.

20. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Looks like an army school for repair

21. 11E

11E
    from USA

Intricacies of Dodge performance tuning explained to a group of foreign officers and men.

[​IMG]

52RAM108 likes this.
  22. My '31 Dodge has those slots.

23. New technology=[​IMG]

24. noboD

noboD

These tools also were made with two pins. The valves had coresponding holes,my '24 DB had them on the original valves. And I'm still not sure why young guys wouldn't know about this?

25. brad2v

brad2v

I'm 41, and know guys 20 years my junior that lap valves. But these machanical parking garage dealies have me absolutely fascinated. Presumably, they were intended for day parking, but how in the hell did it work when everyone wanted to leave? Is that why they aren't in use anymore? On the surface, it seems like a great idea, in terms of maximizing the use of a given amount of real estate, but the possible shortcomings sure rush into my noodle the more I think about it. Any ah, 'geezers' care to shed some light on the subject?

26. 11E

11E
    from USA

These things are still in wide use around the world, having been updated often with turntables. Lot of them in big cities in Asia (Japan leaps to mind). Lots of videos on Youtube for various Asian and Western European cities. The VW one is especially nice.

27. Dontiac

Dontiac

3 oldies I picked up at an estate sale.

Attached Files:

• OC1.jpg
      OC1.jpg
      File size:
      438.5 KB
      Views:
    • OC2.jpg
      OC2.jpg
      File size:
      168.9 KB
      Views:
    • OC3.jpg
      OC3.jpg
      File size:
      415.7 KB
      Views:
  28. DrJ

DrJ

Says May Co. on the marquis.
    Looks just like the MayCo that was on the North East corner of Wilshire and Fairfax in LA.
    Directly across the street from the Petersen Auto Museum.
    It's been remodeled extensively but I think it's the same building now serving as a wing of the LA Museum of Art.

29. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

lapping valves?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.