Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Those are "Gowjobs" ...as they would have been called back in those days.

2. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

3. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

4. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

Great pics. I grew up in the wrong time

5. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

6. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

7. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

8. Learned something today! I'd never heard that term (gowjobs) before. Those photos showed up when I searched "jalopy" - apparently a generic term that's often used. At least not the "R" word. thanks for the clarification.

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

"GowJob" (pronounced "Go-Job") was a term used for these early hot rods built in the period between 1925 and 1935. These cars (mostly Model T based) later evolved into the "SupeJob" (1936 to 1941) and eventually what we know today as the "Hot Rod" (1946 to present).

Most of these "GowJobs" had evolved from the "Speedster" era to incorporate or more stock looking and more closed body style.

10. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the contraption on the front of this car is a wood-gasification unit which supplied fuel for the engine when gasoline was scarce or unobtainable. There was a mention of this process by a listener on NPR's Car Talk program this last weekend.

More info here and even a mention of a 2011 Bonneville record set by a wood-gas powered vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

11. I'm pretty sure your mom is standing in front of a 47-48 Kaiser-Frazer.
    Like this'n.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

MrModelT, you are well recognized on the HAMB for your knowledge of early cars in the '20s (plus earlier & later;)). Would you please help folks who don't know the term "Gowjobs":confused: understand what the difference:rolleyes: between a "jalopy" and a "Gowjob" was back before WWII?

Myself, I tend to think jalopies were generally just seen as fun cars, often rescued from the scrap yards, AND not particularly about performance. "Gowjobs," on the other hand:cool:, were serious attempts at stripping off heavy fenders, etc., and boosting up real acceleration and speed.

What is your take on this?

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

You posted while I was writing, apparently. The chronological breaks you mention are INVALUABLE! :)

Please scrutinized the previousl post I did, though. THANKS, bro!

14. edweird

edweird

is that JACK LALANE on the left ?

15. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well, That is a good question.....but I think there is actually a very thin line separating the two in some ways...it just depends on how you look at it.

Sadly info on the "gowjobs" is spotty at best and there really isn't a set period that the came and went in the "Hot Rodding Universe".... Bigcheese and I have estimated the period to be from about 1926 to 1935 when the Flathead V8's started to make their appearance on the dry lakes...and the 'bangers rein began to dwindle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would however say that your explanation is pretty much right on in my book. Anybody could go down to the local scrap or wrecking yard, buy a used Model T for $2.50, pull off the fenders and drive the piss out of it (as seen below)....but it took engineering, skill, a good knowledge (and access to new info) or racing and the "Need for speed" to produce something more....OHV conversions, racing wheels, a nicely built racing chassis...

This kind of skill and creativity is what gave birth to "Backyard Hot Rodding" as we know it today and produced some truly remarkable, timeless and advanced cars of their era.

[​IMG]

The Roy "Multi" Aldrich car is a prime example of what makes these cars "Gowjobs" and not just a "Jalopy"

[​IMG]

The Robert Hodge car is another prime example of a car that is perhaps 30 or 40 years ahead of it's time. Hodge built (in his spare time while working as machinists apprentice in Orange, CA) his own, one-off, SOHC conversion head for his '23 Touring car, that sported a Wills St. Claire crank, possibly Durrant rods, Stutz twin ignition...and the list goes on and on. That is not what I classify as a "jalopy"

On the other hand, most that sough these cars stalking the street and were not so mechanically inclined might simply refer to them as "jalopies" not understanding the difference..."they all look like old beater Model T's to me with no fenders" ...or something to the effect.

16. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

Around 1918 in Lethbridge, Alberta, CA

[​IMG]

17. the mouth

the mouth
    from dudley ma

southbridge massachusetts's 1942 ford firetruck on delivery date. i now own this truck

18. the mouth

the mouth
    from dudley ma

19. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

Al Pombo, Kearny Bowl Speedway, Fresno, around 1967

[​IMG]

20. Max Devoe

Max Devoe
    from Brazil

21. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

Manfred von Richthofen

[​IMG]

22. Bono4783

Bono4783

Wedekind Motors -State Street, Schenectady, New York.

Schenectady race car driver Ed Sollohub, left, and George Wedekind of Wedekind Motors look over the Nash Rambler that was knocked out of the Mexican Pan-American Stock Car Race in May 1950. Sollohub bought the Rambler at Wedekind, then a local Nash dealer, and entered the 2,178-mile race.

23. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

24. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

More specifically, it is a Frazer.

The Kaiser looked like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

similar cars, but branded separately.

Jim B.

25. George G

George G

[​IMG]

So is that a Molotov cocktail?

26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha I remember getting SCREAMED at by an angry coed the day after I moved to Iowa City for zipping down one of those on my bike.

27. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

That's a full size Nash, not a Rambler.

28. map

map

Speed Bump machine?

29. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Anti-speed bump machine.

30. Yes - what he said.....thanx:D

More specifically, it is a Frazer.

The Kaiser looked like this: