Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by john worden, Mar 17, 2019.

1. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

When I visit this thread and click on "go to first unread" I am taken much further forward than my last last unread post.
    After clicking on it it then becomes my last unread post and it is slow going back to 6162
    Help? Thanks.

2. You're not alone. I've had it take me back to the first page of a couple different threads over the last few months. I thought the feature that remembered the last post you visited was stored on my computer. But now I wonder if it's stored somewhere on the Jalopy Journal servers. :confused:

3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I thought this thread went to the moderators. If not how do I reach the moderators for an answer?

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sounds like a browser caching issue. I can’t reproduce the problem over here.

Try clearing your browser’s cache and temp files.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Don't know about these posts going "to" any particular moderator, but they're pretty good about checking in here on a regular basis. And a lot of the time, before the mods have a chance to respond, another member here will post a reply if they've already found a solution or a work-around. ;)

Edit: ...And speak of the devil.

6. It makes sense to me that this "last post read" info would be stored in my browser's cache or in a cookie or some such file. But it seems as though when I open the same thread on either my home desktop or my computer at work (using Firefox in both instances) it still remembers to open the thread where I last left off.

So I don't suspect that your servers save this information tied to my user name then. Surely Firefox, or any other browser for that matter, doesn't try to track this information. Or do they, to the best of your knowledge?

7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Will do. Thank you.

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Cleared cache and files. Now taking me to 6291 which I assume becomes the last unread when 6162 was actually the last read.
    If I go back to 6162 page at a time will that become my last unread?
    Is there a fast way to bring up 6162 other than at a few pages at a time. I tried searching for 6162 to no avail.

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

ok I figured out how to advance fairly quickly and picked a page number to look at.
    I then left the thread and when I came back I was again taken way way past the last read page that I had chosen.

10. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

This might seem a bit silly, but if you want to go to a certain page in a long thread, like Vintage Shots, go up to the internet address line. At the end of the address it'll say "page-(whatever page number you're on)". See image below. Just delete the current page number, type in the one you want to go to and press enter. I know, a goofy way to go about it, but hey, it works.
    Help s.jpg

ClayMart, lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  11. 'Taint goofy at all. ;) It works, and it also provides a little insight into how this whole inter-web thing searches and finds the stuff we ask it to. :D

SDhotrod and lothiandon1940 like this.