Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Shop Clocks

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Stogy, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually the movement is wired through the light. Once I replaced the fixture, low and behold, it started keeping time again!

Stogy likes this.
  2. Gnater

Gnater

Got her working today with repair parts from “clockparts.com”.

Grampy passed last Sunday so I’m glad she’s ticking again.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you and your family on the loss of Grampy @Gnater...may he Rest in Peace...

You done it!!...Were you able to retain the Original Hands? Any difficulties?

How about a shot of the new position on the shop wall with a bit of Hotrod/Custom peaking in?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  4. Gnater

Gnater

Need to hang it higher and fix the plates but you get the point. The original hands did not fit the new motor, but I’m happy with the end result.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's great @Gnater...If my posting this Thread had influence on you getting that Timeless Heirloom I feel even better in sharing my tinkering project...

I'm glad you found hands to closely match the period of those removed...

That itself makes me think that I actually remember marking and carefully trimming a hand to match the original and that in itself is of course an option...

Love the Shop and Pic...;)

6. Gnater

Gnater

Your post did motivate me to bring the clock to the front of the “I need to....” list Stogy. The timing was spooky, he fell ill shortly after ordering parts and didn’t linger. That’s a blessing in my book. He was a 2 time Purple Heart recipient, fought on Okinawa and the Solomon Islands. Lived a great life. He was a huge positive roll model for me and would be tickled to see it working again. :)

Thank you for the condolences.

Gnater

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  7. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

I got this from my mom a couple years ago. She found it at a garage sale for $3.
    IMG_0136.JPG

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the shrouded treatment...If you hadn't done that I certainly wouldn't have had any idea it was that big...a beauty of a clock...

A couple of things of note...Proctor & Gamble I have always thought of as a health products company so I suspect this may have been a Company Clock ordered for one of their facilities...Imagine the number of employees that laid eyes on that clock...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procter_&_Gamble

Second elements such as the Font, shape of clock used and the second Hand with an interesting Moon shape, I wonder if it has perhaps historic connection...as night and day...

'T' rific Shop Clock...thanks for sharing...;)

9. Slack Blabbath

Slack Blabbath

Not in the garage, but in the kitchen (still looking for a vintage garage clock that's not too expensive). I had the outlet installed so I could plug in the clock -- I like the cord (it's stained with historic kitchen grease!). IMG_3839.JPG

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sabbath...Your first post since joining...Welcome...I'm honored to be the icebreaker...

Yeah Kitchen grease...Mine had something oozing out of it and the cord was equal to yours...

I sorta look at these like Artwork and Paintings don't generally have a cord dangling down.

I know back in the day there were special sunk in outlets specifically for clocks and hiding the offensive cord...which in your case is part of the Ambience of a former and present time as generally if they are working they are pretty darn accurate...

Now time to start sharing your Hotrod stories...I see you have a Chevy 11...theres a few here that come to mind...Squirrels Plan B or is it 2...

Is it a factory Hop-Up?...

Thanks for sharing and hope you find one for the Shop...;)

11. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

My shop clock came from a Chrysler dealer that I worked at in the 1990’s. It was a Chrysler dealer along with a Hudson dealer back into the 50’s

I don’t know how old the clock is but the motor was bad when I got it and it’s died again, right now it’s wall dressing but I dig it.

Cliff Ramsdell
    93C521E3-EC09-48C9-B28E-9B167676628E.jpeg 7A1ACA2B-E7A9-4FF2-9339-82887CDC8E55.jpeg

Okie Pete, Lepus, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  12. das858

das858

Here's one I picked up at the Lincoln Nebraska swap meet in 2019 . My dad had a City Service station from 1959-1962 . 20190303_114517.jpg

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beauty...its period Hotrod Shop wall architecture and more...there was quite a number of Varients of that StopSign Shaped One Stop Mopar, Everything Place to Be in The 40s-50s in period with some Hell in between. Does that one light up? That Logo Style originated in early 40s a pivotal time indeed...

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great period for Hotrod...I feel the Ole Hotrod I have is representative of that Period...A great Memory Maker...thanks for Sharing...

0_20180830_193400.jpg

Okie Pete and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  15. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

@Stogy , Yes, it lights up. It has two bulbs in the lamp, one at 12:00 and one at 6:00. Standard lamp base and the tube is about 5” long.

It has quite the appetite for bulbs and like the motor they are out now too.

Cliff Ramsdell

Stogy likes this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Not vintage but a little bit of thought and two pieces of ugly at free.50 each. Hopefully it’s passable at a glance for vibe even if authenticity is faux.
    Oh, I’ve been meaning to stick on 12, 3, 6, and 9 but so far that would cost some pennies.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Commerce like Us reach into the past as sometimes it doesn't get any better than past excellence...Lit Ambience is mentally exciting and dramatic...and yeah the numberless dilemma...many times a challenge and a heck of a good excuse in a pinch when late for work...:D

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

19. 1953naegle

1953naegle

1588834165820-840892438.jpg
    I got this old illuminated glass "beer" clock from my grandpa. I don't remember which beer it was (you can still make it out on the back of the lens), but a prior owner must have had this in a security office. It reads "For Better Security, Stay Alert!" I don't drink so I kept the repaint on it. I had to put a new motor in it a couple years ago, which I found new OEM on Ebay.

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's kinda making me chuckle a bit...:D

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  22. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Team Hamb...I'm Impressed with these exceptional Timekeepers adorning the Shop Wall...The surroundings just set them off even more...thank you all for sharing those...;)

24. 31Apickup

31Apickup

25. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Hard to find anything around here like that- people place large value on even the cheapest old tat (early nineties on older) for no reason other than "it's old so it's worth money".

I think I might have a go at making my own.

Phil

Okie Pete and Stogy like this.
  26. Randy D

Randy D

Here’s mine..[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200609_174654.jpg
    Beginnings of new shop clock.

Phil

28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20200609_211930.jpg
    ...and a continuum of the same theme.

Clock mechanism next, then a light fixture.

Phil

29. Slack Blabbath

Slack Blabbath

30. Slack Blabbath

Slack Blabbath

Thanks for the welcome! It means a lot because I admit to having been wary of posting anything. I apologize for not responding sooner, but I'm not in the habit of visiting the H.A.M.B. regularly. You have inspired me to post something about my Chevy II (I just went out to the garage to take some photos).

Stogy likes this.