Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage pics form Great Lakes Dragway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinclair, Apr 9, 2007.

1. sinclair

sinclair

I was flipping through some old pictures my mom had and came across these. I thought I would share them. They are from Great Lakes, circa 1966 or 67, I think Memorial Day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wicarnut likes this.
  2. awesome, more????

3. John Denich

John Denich

Those are great pics!!!!

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

More please.........pretty please with sugar on top!!!!!

5. Cool Pics Nick!

6. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Great stuff. Thanks for posting them. Any more? Mike

7. sinclair

sinclair

I guess I'll have to go see if she has any more.

8. Great pics!

I think the second photo shows a different strip - perhaps U.S. 30 in Northwest Indiana?

9. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Used to go to "the Grove" when I was younger.Those pics bring back some memories. Thanks for posting and more,please!

10. holy shit
    it still looks like that
    i have oiled down that track a time or too
    ahhh the grove
    i love it there... except for the dam drag sleds that kill my hearing for a week
    tk

11. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

12. Looks like US 30 to me to. the grove never had any stands on the east side of the track. Just look at the background in rest of the pics. This pick is US 30 in '69 or '70, taken by my dad.

Attached Files:

13. P.S. If I had to bet I would say those pics are no older than 1968, as the bob banning charger is a '68 model. Nice pictures by the way.

14. Earth Quake

Earth Quake
    from Milwaukee

At least you didn't have a fire truck follow you down the track like I did.

bobwop likes this.
  15. the grove had seating on the east side. it even had the control tower on the east side at half track. this was before the pics posted were taken. im thinking the pics must be from memorial day due to the fans in jackets and little to no leaves on the trees. big names from far away places in the house. bob banning was from the east coast. lew Arrington and jungle from the west coast. heavy hitters in their day. a sharp eye caught the us-30 pic. very cool pics thanks.

wicarnut likes this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

I was there in 64 and I remember a stop and go light at starting line, when did the Xmas tree come into drag racing ? Did not go again until 07/08 for a car club show, fun time, thought everything seemed to be same, was told by a racer, same bumps and dips, But with nice new bathroom facilities complete with A/C and an attendent, WOW ! NEVER been in a A/C portapotty/outhouse at any race track and I believe I've been to every dirt track in the midwest, (years past 70-92) some nice, some iffy, some plain old sh*tty.