Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage minibikes

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by INJUNTOM, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Maybe something from the push rod on a master cylinder? Also might try the McMaster-Carr catalog.

2. loudbang

loudbang

[SIZE=-1]Man love these things. My cousin and I started building minibikes for sale when we were 11 years old. Scrounged engines from discarded lawn mowers from peoples trash and welded frames for them ourselves from old water pipes. Got clutches mail order from sears and we were in business.

But he is correct my building and hotroding started with minibikes. I kept bugging my father, a tool and die maker, to build me parts and he finally thought he could get rid of me by saying fine draw me a set of plans and I will build it just like your plans gave me a drafting book and said have at it.

HA screwed up his plans when I read the book and learned enough drafting to actually draw simple plans. Worked great but a few mistakes like bevels slanted in the wrong direction but even he was impressed and kept making my parts to spec.

My personal hotrod had a continental engine from a 1/4 midget and it would fly past everybody elses Briggs & Straton ones.

I still have the scar on my ankle to this day from while riding at speed kicking out at a dog that was chasing me (a frequent problem) made the mistake of drawing back the foot after the kick right into the FINNED flywheel that I had removed the safety cover over to reduce weight. Those fins spinning at max rpm gouged out a chunk of my ankle that never got filled back in with skin.
    [/SIZE]

Attached Files:

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Anyone have a bike that they're willing to sell in Minnesota? PM if so

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

7. White Knuckle Scramble??? OK, it's official, I need to spearhead a Mini-Bike revival, in Central Floriduh. Looks way cool. Anyone got a gorilla mask I can borrow?? (shades of Bob Bleed and Mad Fabricators:eek::p:cool:)

Trying to find time to work on finishing mine and working on My Oldsmobile project. In the grand scheme of things, my MTD Special would be cheaper and easier to finish. Hmmmm???:confused:

JT

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Do it! Myself and a bunch of other guys have gotten this stuff off the ground in Phoenix, and we have had a freakin' ball riding them around.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

This will be our 3rd event in 2 years. There's only 2 other events that I know of that allows minibikes to really race legally (LSRU in TX and the Minibike Challenge in NY). We let karts and minibikes race on a real twisty race track without worrying about police interference. All you need to do is find a place that will let you do it and come up with insurance money (which is why a track is ideal). I called many places, and none really wanted to consider allowing minibikes to run because they considered them motorcycles.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  10. JasonK

JasonK

Years ago I found a site that sells a "restore" kit for minibikes... I have a frame and need the rest... Ideas?
    I can't remember the site I had seen before.

11. Old minibikes.com
    Is the real only place I use but there are more if you look on the computer

posting from the capital of the 51st state

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

There's also http://www.ruppparts.com/ They specialize in Rupp minibikes obviously, but they may have more universal parts.

13. My Bro' sent me these today. Cleveland circa 1971. Hope y'all can view the pics on this PDF file. That was his 1966 Impala Wagon.

Now I am inspired to go scan ALL my vintage mini-bikie pics, from when I was a kid. (ha, I still am a kid!!)

JT

Attached Files:

14. One more.
    As city kids, we were fortunate, to have this huge expanse of land and wooded area, behind a big discount store. Place only lasted a short time, so the parking lot was perfect for go-karts and the wooded area even better, for minibikes, dirt bikes and good old 20" pedal bikes, to spend a whole day, riding the trails. Damn, I miss the good ole days.

JT

Attached Files:

15. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Don't we all!

16. OK, managed to snap a few shots of my progress. This little 5hp OHV Briggs, hauls ass, but it just does not look at home, in this frame. Waiting on a few jackshaft bearings that are on order and brown seat cover has got to go. Maybe my upholstery buddy, will hook me up and cover it in black leather.;)

sidenote: Holy Crap! major storm going on outside. Good thing, in Florida, they do not last too long.

JT

Attached Files:

17. SimpleTom

SimpleTom

Going to be at Vintage Torque Fest this weekend with a bunch of other guys with their mini bikes to show and sell. Look for this guy in the swap area.

[​IMG]

18. ok so a bit ot but I built this to have fun on

Attached Files:

19. First maiden voyage, this weekend. Still fighting fuel starvation issue. Also a mid to hi RPM engine vibration. ??? And Brown color on seat has to go. Maybe black vinyl dye?
    Proud of my routing of all the cables and kill switch wire through the frame.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

20. UGH!!! So frustrated about not being to upload pictures.

21. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Just picked up a bonanza MB 1150 TC

22. Special Ed

Special Ed

Veteran's Day 1965 in the San Fernando Valley.

[​IMG]

loudbang and need louvers ? like this.
  23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just about time to have another for me! SAM_6760.JPG

Ruttman Spyder, I'm painting a brand new N.O.S. Tecumseh 5 horse white as we speak, and it'll have a white sparkle vinyl tuck seat,

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Realize I'm a little late here but I've got an old Heald Super Bronc and have researched out possible replacement fork boots also.

Some have said Honda 70 boots work good http://www.ebay.com/itm/HondaCT-70-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8c3b55dd&vxp=mtr

But I've also spoke to Kimball and he suggested a washing machine drain hose http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge-hose-drain-inlet-wh41x10163-ap4346141.html

Haven't tried either, yet, but I think I'd be inclined to try the washing machine hose first...

25. Currently mounting a Honda CT70 motor in my gutless QA50. Getting it ready for Bonneville Speed Week in a couple of weeks.
    qa50.jpg

Donut Dave likes this.
  26. willo_96

willo_96

Here's a couple I've got, there are more, and there will be more too. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408965888.196522.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408965911.928798.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408965928.512584.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408965946.178649.jpg

27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very Cool.

What were the names of the major brands other then Rupp?

Jimbo

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

100_2064.JPG 1960 "Skat Kitty" with a cast aluminum frame

loudbang and slychamp like this.
  29. Hellfish

Hellfish

That's neat. You should polish the frame. :D