Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage minibikes

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by INJUNTOM, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

My Taco trail 100

Attached Files:

2. mikecola

mikecola
    from So. Cal.

Here's one my son found. Picked it up as his 13th B-Day present a week ago. Know close to nothing about cars and even less about minibikes. This is a Bonanza. Not sure of the model, BC-1300? Assume it had a Hodaka engine originally. The guy we bought it off of picked it up new in '66 and, being a tinkerer, shoe horned these two 3 HP Briggs & Strattons in a few years later. Got the engines runing, but both clutches are slipping, so not on the road yet. Have checked out mini-doodle a bit, lots of good info. Would appreciate any other info etc. The serial # on the front name plate is 29448 if that is of any signifigance. -- Mike
    [​IMG]

3. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

^
    Sweeeet. I want it. :D

4. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

here is mine. my grandfather acquired this back in the early sixties from Marvin Webster of Webster gear. my grandfather drove a Webster special back then.. at the time he gave hte mini bike to my Dad when he was a youngin, and he would ride it around sears point raceway. we still have it after all these years and it still runs.
    has a continental engine, cant find any specs or history about this motor and i am currently trying to find out anything i can about the bike and motor.
    dave
    [​IMG]

5. Offy

Offy

I'm pullin' out my Machina Bros. LiL Indian and start restoring it this weekend. I've been puttin' it off too long. That little son-of-a-gun has broken bones and burnt a lot of flesh since 1966. I loaned it out to my buddies when I went to Viet Nam. They brought it back less the motor when I came home. I need to get it back running before we're too old to get back on it! Man, that little sucker has lots of stories to tell from outrunning the roadblock the Troutwood Ohio cops set up to catch it to to racing the grounds of the Sebring 12 hours in Florida. Then there was the time at Daytona 500 infield when we gave away free rides with instructions to keep their knees inside the handle bars. It was thrown out of the Krazy Corner bar in Tampa one Sunday afternoon when a Outlaws biker rode it down the bar top on a bet. Then another Sunday afternoon we ran out of beer water skiing and Cecil and myself went 3 miles down the lane to the back door of the littyle store to get another case of beer with me riding his shoulders. We got laughing as I tried to hold the can for him to get a drink and he dumped us all in a patch of sandspurs on the way back. It spent a couple of weeks with some Seals in Charleston I'm told and they found out the mini bike was tougher than some of them. Great memories, thanks for the thread.

6. The_General

The_General

Check out my minibike when I was a few years old. Yup that's me an te pic

[​IMG]

7. casper

casper

To The General... That's a really cool picture. You were one lucky kid, I sure you know it now, but you still better call your mom and dad and tell them thanks!

To Juggalo 56..... I can tell you about the Continental motor. They were a gorernment surplus item (world war II). I collect vintage quarter midgets and 99% of all the cars used a Continental motor from the early 1950's untill the 70's when the supply became scarce, at that point a company called Deco started producing the exact same motor and they still use them in quarter midgets today (we race two now!). The quarter midgets use a 6 to 1 gear reduction box and are direct drive, but I have seen several that use a clutch like yours. The coolest thing is... that a lot of aftermarket companys made speed parts for that engine so it's really easy to find high finned aluminum heads, cool intake manifols and carburators, points covers, and oil pans. I have a ton of this stuff. That's a neat minibike, Thanks for posting it. Casper.

8. rev106

rev106

9. not that i really need another project but this thread made me do it.

mr fedex dropped off the 20 dollar alexander renolds frame today

10. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Won't be long before he's dropping off a second one... :D

11. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Here's the latest one in my collection picked up a couple weeks ago:

It's a George Barris model based on a Steller frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. AD

AD

anybody got one for sale??

13. mikecola

mikecola
    from So. Cal.

14. Dan

Dan

got a couple, I'll have to get some pics, the question is can someone PLEASE sell me one of these? I need one desperately to complete a project...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. Dan

Dan

found a pic of one, obviously not the one I need the wheel for...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

What is it from? A Gilson?

17. Dan

Dan

its off a Montgomery Wards mini - dont know who made it for them??

18. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

The wheel looks like a Gilson wheel. Gilson made most of the Ward's bikes as well as some others.

Look at my Gilson here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390287/9

That Gilson doesn't have the original wheels, but I have another frame that does have them.

Not a very common wheel to find by the way.

19. Vorhese

Vorhese

I miss my baby. I remember how much my back hurt after riding in the field for an hour. 1981ish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Wow! That's a great picture.

And that's an Alexander-Reynolds minibike. Built in New Jersey, not too many seen around here.

21. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

Kinda lost my marbles on this one. I got it finished and realized I had no where to really enjoy it. So now it sits.I gotta admit it was a fun build!

Attached Files:

22. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

My Lil Indian, before and after re-paint.
    Also a Honda 90 Touring project that's not much more than a mini-bike.

The seat for the Lil Indian came from the local bicycle shop. I think it was a sissy bar cover or something and was a whole 50 cents.
    The whitewalls are just painted on.

Attached Files:

23. I had a Honda Mini Trail 50 when I was a kid and still have a 1963 Homelite Spitfire Go Kart that I am going to put back together. I have an early 70's vintage 7 hp Tecumseh motor that would go wuite nicely on it.:D

24. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

No pics of my Taco 22, but have this project stewing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

This one has been inthe family for more than 25 years its a colton Kat....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Cat 250X

They were built in Colton, CA.

HPE Muskin co. - they were a concrete co. :D

Here's some old brochures:

http://minidoodle.com/id283.htm

27. DLipp

DLipp
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine reworked this old mini bike.

Attached Files:

28. turbodan

turbodan

Shit, the SFVISBF boys have their own mini-bike army!!!

29. leadsled01

leadsled01

I really don't want to see your TACO....lol

30. 35ihrat

35ihrat

This is my 74 Honda QA50 that ive been working on for awhile. I used to make regular beer runs up town with it until the fuzz caught on and said i needed insurance and liscense on it.

Attached Files: