Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vintage(?) lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Satyr, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Satyr

Satyr

So I just bought this lift for the price of a case of beer, (cheap beer at that). Trying to find out how old it is. It works great! It is made by Big 4 Industries and I think they are out of business. Any clues of the age? lift1.jpg lift2.jpg

Elcohaulic and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

50's 60's at least I used them in the 60's Bumper lift that you picked the car or truck up by the bumper back then when they had real bumpers and real bumper brackets on them. That general design has been around a long time in either manual, hydraulic or air operated.
    Some shops would put one on each end to raise a rig up to change tires or do brakes. Those air cylinders didn't always lift smooth or at the same rate depending on how much air pressure you had in the system. If you could get it to lift smooth and put a bracket on it to hold a door it would be pretty nifty as a helping hand to hang doors on something by yourself.
    You quickly figured out if the shop that had put a step bumper on the back of a pickup had done it right in the mid 60's if the brackets on the bumper didn't bend or slip when you lifted it. After about 57 many cars had bumpers too flimsy or with panels under them and you couldn't lift them with one.

Elcohaulic and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Fun pogo stick also

4. trollst

trollst
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one, mine's hydraulic. Best jack ever.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

had one in the high school auto shop I was a student and then the instructor in and some of my students figured out that they could stand on it and shoot up in the air rather quickly. Mostly that unit got used to change rear tires on pickups in the years that I taught the class.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Big4 was owned by the Studebaker Corporation IIRC.

7. evintho

evintho

Used one when I was wrenchin' for a living back in the day.........early '70s. Ours was air powered and very handy. And yeah, used on cars with real bumpers back then!

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  8. Satyr

Satyr

Thank y'all for the replies. Mine is air operated and works smooooth. My 1952 Dodge has massive chrome (real steel) bumpers so I think this will be great addition to my garage.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Those are still in use in some semi trailer shops. Company I'm leased to has one, probably bigger than that one but basically the same design, it will pick up the rear of an empty trailer high enough to change all 8 tires. Goes under the ICC bumper.

10. carryallman

carryallman

i worked for the state of iowa at 1 time -had a general supervisor /that bought on of these /a little bigger size ?? .anyway he demoed it in the shop ! the buzzer rang-break! everybody went to break -AT BREAK _WE HEARD A LOUD CRASH!! the jacked up car rolled forward-crashing the upper end of the lift into the "highway patrol captains" car ! -he was not happy -car was like only several days old! i wanted to bolt a lt blue -dot cars trunk lid on it ?anyway he did no more equiptment demos !

11. My grandfather had one in his shop growing up. Used it regularly for all kinds of stuff.

Back in my teenage years, one day my brother and I were working on his '67 IH Scout 800. Had the front end jacked up, and for what ever reason, I had my brother bump the starter over while I was underneath the Scout. Of course he forgot to push in the clutch or take it out of gear, and that little 266 popped right off after about 90 degs. of crank rotation. Scout rolled up on the jack, stalled, and came crashing down on top of me. Thank god the Scout had 2" lift blocks and 33" tires, so there was still enough room for me underneath it, but I will never forget that thing falling towards me and my in-ability to sink into the floor fast enough.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  12. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo

I’ve seen a model A lifted with one in the front and they had positioned it under the front axle since it had to bumpers. Seemed clever when I saw it but I’d still want a jack stand under anything you wanted to get under

13. flatford39

flatford39

The ICC bumper...is that the Mansfield bar you are talking about by chance???