Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage License Plate Frame pics request?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whizzerick, Feb 8, 2004.

1. whizzerick

whizzerick

Fellas, can someone point me towards a gallery
    or can someone post examples of early license plate frames?
    Some speed equipement manufacturers
    offered them as early as the late '40's.
    That kind of stuff:

2. Joes50

Joes50

Hey that looks like a 50/51 Willys front-end [​IMG]

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I found this one at Hershey. I had to have it for the V8 logo.

They show up on Ebay from time to time. Do a search once a week and you should get some nice ones. The sale pictures show all the detail. This will get you to the tag section without having to wade through most of the plastic stuff once you are on Ebay.

Home > All Categories > Collectibles > Transportation > Automobilia > License Plates

PS I think it's a 53 with the pointed grill shell [​IMG]

4. whizzerick

whizzerick

Thanks Tommy, that's a nice one!
    Yep, the plate I posted is from that sweet Willys in Classic Truck:

5. whizzerick

whizzerick

Tommy, one more thing: is it cast-polished Alumimum?

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm guessing pot metal. Try doing a search for "tag toppers" too. There were an ass load of them too. Some were screen printed sheet metal. I have a few of the souvineer tag toppers but this is the only dealer tag frame that ever turned me on.

Anybody ever heard of Meggett?

7. Joes50

Joes50

I was at the Sacramento Autorama this weekend and picked up this flyer for Custom Auto Tags. I haven't looked them up yet but will later on this evening. www.autotagsofgatlinburg.com

I belive that Willys you posted a picture of is out of Woodland Ca. which is about 30 minutes south of me. I see it last year at a car show in Woodland and it was still in the assembly stage. Pictures don't even come close to doing that Wagon Justice.

I have a 50 Willys Jeepster that I just finished building last year. Well it's almost done ......I just have to paint the spare tire and have a VW tire mounted on it. The spare is mainly for looks as I had customs Rallys made by Wheels Vintique made for it.

I am looking for some license frames for my Jeepster. I was thinking something like "1950" on top and "Willys Overland" on the bottom but I'm still undecided [​IMG]