Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage keys made in ATX?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seatex, Jan 29, 2013.

1. seatex

seatex

Does anyone know of a Locksmith in the Austin area that can build door keys for a '57 Chevy Wagon? I don't know if the door cylinders-tailgate match, but the mechanisims seem to work fine. Anyone have one to recommend?
    T'anks, jb

2. I'm sure you know that you can pull the door lock and get the code off the side. Then have a key cut to code. The tail gate lock is a different story if I remember right. It's harder to get to the code.

3. If you don't find the key codes on the cylinders, when you call around to the lock shops ask them if they have anyone that can "impression" a key to work with your cylinders. If they don't know what you're talking about then it's probably time to call the next shop.

If you find the codes and nobody knows how to decipher them, PM me with the codes and I may have the code books at work that go back that far to get the cut sequence. I could probably cut them but doubt that I've got the right blanks anymore.

4. Or you can have yours re-keyed.

5. seatex

seatex

Nope, did not know that. THANK YOU FOR THAT INFO!:)

6. seatex

seatex

I have called several of the older locksmiths aeound town, and the said they could re-program my key.......not sure they knew what I was talking about even though I made it clear it was for a 1957...........:confused: I guess times have changed a bit......thanks for that CM, i'll pull them out and see what I can see.

7. could not see any codes on a chev anf took them to a good locksmith and they did it in a couple minuetes
    had them do a few and fast and cheep and had all code info

tried a friend and he could not do anything
    there is a big difference in lock guys

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Any good locksmith should be able to do what you want. Take the key (or get one from them) and locks to them, they will make them all work together.