Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Italian Espresso Machine

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Kilroy, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I'm an espresso nut... Long story short, I've been looking for a vintage lever-action espresso machine for years, but never found one I could afford... A few months ago, my wife found this at a yard sale for $20 and snagged it for me...
    It's a late '60s LaPavoni Europiccola. It was basically pristine but the top group seal was leaking and the original hammer tone paint was coming off.
    So I blew it completely apart, replaced all the seals, repainted and re polished it.

It's beautiful and makes a great cup of coffee to boot...

Attached Files:

Baumi, Deuces, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

For $20 that's a steal, most likely those cost a lot when new.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I would have been all over that for $20. Good score.

4. 895631A6-C204-454F-A8FA-8740B55E1AA6.jpeg Piston espresso maker for $20 bucks !!!!

Best coffe you can have !
    I still use the stove top one, good strong brew, shot of cognac in it .... great way to start your day!

Baumi and Tman like this.

5. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Yep, I used one of those for years, but the seals tend to be crap and I got tired of changing them.

This one was a nutty deal... Or steal... I actually feel a little bad about it, but my Wife assures me the lady was just happy it went to a good home... She was quite 'comfortable' and selling it didn't seem to be about the money...
    She said it was her Italian Mother's and she made a cup of espresso every morning with it until she passed.

I had been looking for one in the $500 range, and had no luck. At least not one that wouldn't need multiple parts replaced.

I have a Pasquini semi-auto I bought off CL in Austin, that this replaces and I paid $400 for that one and thought it was a steal. But Austin loves it's coffee, so those prices are a little elevated.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. FC38C795-CCF2-471C-8806-9E04E58A6A04.jpeg
    Vittorio Arduino
    My brother had one of these in his restaurant.
    Believe it or not $25000 dollars new !
    All hammered copper and brass.
    It is a work of art.

I have a seico superautomatica as well
    Put beans on one side and water in the other, set your grind and get a coffee.
    Works great.
    Needs the boiler replaced, back to the stovetop.
    It takes up a lot or counter space.
    The Italian bakeries usually have the flat gaskets for the stove top model
    I buy them 5 at a time
    Usually good for a year.

I’m a certified coffee junkie.

7. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Thought I already replied to this... Guess I didn't hit post.
    That's a thing of beauty. There have been some truly beautiful espresso machines throughout the decades. Most of them are way out of my price range.
    Counter space is a huge issue... We had one of the full auto Saeco's at work for a while. I can't say I was super impressed, but then again, I wasn't able to tune it. It broke down a lot.
    I like the stove top coffee maker. Maybe I had a bad casting or something. Seals just didn't last. Easy enough to change and find, but it was a huge mess when they went out, and getting a good cup of coffee out of them was a challenge.
    That said, the coffee out of those little Bialetti stove top makers is way better than 90% of the coffee like drinks you can get out there on the streets.

Tman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Love this stuff

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. My seico machine is at least 15 years old.
    Seico got bought out by some one s few years ago, supposedly the quality of the machine went up. But the quality of the brew went down.

Mines had the boiler replaced twice. Ow needs it again, and a few other small parts.
    It works very well if you use good beans and distilled water.
    My problem is I keep it in all day, and use Tap water in it.... and I don’t descale it on a regular basis.

Yes , I’m an equipment asshole !! Lol

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

This is an old thread but I added to my collection...
    My grinder was getting tired and I'd been looking for a commercial grade flat burr grinder for a while, so I found this old La San Marco grinder and restro-rodded it a bit... :rolleyes:
    IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3813.JPG IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3815.JPG

Okie Pete and Tman like this.
  11. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I like to ask the waitress. What do you put in the water to make it that brown color?

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What’s espresso?

13. I would love a machine like the OP has!!! My poor little stove top is now close to 30 years old. I use a french press almost as much anymore

VANDENPLAS and Kilroy like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Italian is spelled with 1 L and my dad's first name was Vittorio.....;)

15. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Oh crap, you're right... I fixed it...
    Vittorio Dueces sounds like a fine Italian name...

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  16. I'm also an espresso nut. Here is my vinatge FAEMA PRESIDENT from the early 60ties. IMG_20201108_202815_7 (1).jpg IMG_20201108_202840_8 (2).jpg

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and Kilroy like this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, he was a good man.... :( He always tried to steer me in the right direction.... Half the time I didn't listen.... :oops::rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS and Truck64 like this.