Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Indy 500 photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hellsgaterods, Feb 24, 2014.

1. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

I went to buy a display cabinet today and after talking to the guy for a while I bought these photos from him, they were just too cool to leave behind, most are of Indy 500, one I think is not, but its just too kool, thought Id share these with you guys and girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Is that a Duesenberg in front of the service station?

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

We were trying to figure out what it was

5. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

The second two are of Wilbur Shaw, first three-time winner of the 500. If memory serves me correctly, he won the '37, '39 and '40 races. And I believe your pics are his '39 and '40 rides, both Boyle Specials. Shaw wrote a book about his racing days that I read many years ago which was an excellent read if you're into vintage Indy. Time has unfortunately wiped it's title from my memory! Nice score on all the pics! Regards, Dave.

6. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

You're right AV8 Dave, the pics are 1939 and '40 races, these were just too cool to leave behind.

7. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Lou Meyer was the first three time Indianapolis 500 winner, 1928, 1933, 1936.

8. navyboy

navyboy

thanks for sharring.

9. deucemac

deucemac

Wilbur Shaw was the second 3 time Indy winner Louie Meyer was first (later of Meyer Drake Offy fame). The book Shaw wrote was "Gentlemen Start Your Engines" > have always been a big fan of Wilbur Shaw and am lucky enough to own a first edition copy with a perfect dust jacket.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's late and I can't check to be sure but the fenderless Roadster looks like a Studebaker to me. First photo is a Fronty-Ford, I think the cowl letterering os doctored or photoshopped, the logo is totally different frome ones I've seen in other photos. Bob

11. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

29AVEE8: Thank you and I stand corrected! Forgot that Lou Meyer was the first (it sucks being over 65 sometimes!).

deucemac: Yes, that's it! Thank you sir! The very words Mr. Shaw came to speak on Memorial Day just before the race when he became a predecessor to Tony Hulman. That book is one of my all-time favourite racing reads. I envy you having a first edition - mine was borrowed from the local library.

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Good find! Thanks for sharing.

13. Good eye, Bob! Definitely a 29-ish Studebaker President 8. The coupe pillar and two-tone paint are 'tells'.

[​IMG]

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got info somewere that shows these Studebakers racing as "Stock Cars" on a board track, think it was Atlantic City, N. J. :)Bob

15. Thank you for sharing these neat old photos and the two of Shaw in the Boyle Maserati's begs a question I have wondered about. How many Boyle Maserati cars were there for Shaw at Indianapolis from 1939 to 1941. Even the two that are pictured have some changes in the cosmetic appearance and could there possibly have been three? Another question concerning these cars, did one of them end up, very modified, to run the ill-fated NASCAR speedway division? Again thank you for the historic photos.

16. designs that work

designs that work

To the best of my memory the winning Maserati was the same car. Boyle had purchased a earlier Maserati that was not competitive and was never raced at Indy by Shaw. As to the NASCAR question I have no answer.