Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Vintage Hydroplanes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 22, 2015.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

glassichydro-1.jpg Going sideways .....................

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

In photo looks like driver is already trying to get very small.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

All of this is making me very homesick for Lake Washington. From my parents house in Renton we could always hear the Allisons and I've spent many a good time out on the log boom or in Stan Sayers pits.

4. Having been involved in boat racing in the Pacific Northwest,, although it was drag racing, I will never think this is O/T, as they are just hot rods of the water. Thanks everyone for all the contributions to this thread.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

DSCN0494_008.JPG
    You are right Bowtie as these this are real Hot Rods on the water, like water borne sprint cars as you never know what they will do next

Did the engines for Tom Patterson's crackerbox the ' Sparkler ' for 6 years , and had a great time

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. the Uncle has talked much about the pre WII days when his built V8-60's would ply down the Sacramento river.....on a Saturday beer run.....and didn't Elvis build one ?

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Cusco

Cusco
    from Europe

Great picture thread.

Thanks for sharing!

8. Yup, Hot Rods that skimmed over water. This is the Miss Desoto, first pic from it's early days and the last pic's after Butch Bailey of Ohio (Butch was heavy into 33 WILLYS back in the day) restored her. Potvin front mounted blown Hemi. How's that for Hot Rod
    miss_desoto_pkunxpix.jpg
    MissDesoto1.jpg
    MissDeSotoWheeling.jpg
    MissDeSoto5.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  9. 1EvilPaul

1EvilPaul

I like the V-12 action.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. unklgriz

unklgriz

There is nothing quite like the sound of a v12 Allison humming across the water! We could hear them for Seafair week on lake Washington all the way over in west Seattle. I would love to see them here on Flathead lake, but of course the powers that be don't want the "noise". Thank you all for the great photos!

Larry

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sorry, got excited...[confused with H-mod sport cars]..Would have been the 48 cu in inboard hydro, later 850cc...A book by Bob Foley, A Wild Ride about the little big boys would be an interesting read..

12. iamq

iamq
    from Ma

Nothing more than a sheet of plywood and an outboard... built one of these back in these back in the 60's, Mini Max
    Wasn't very good when the waves were more than 6-8 inches... submarined more then once...hahah NZ-1.jpg NZ-171.jpg

volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  13. iamq

iamq
    from Ma

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Back in the early 60's my brother , our uncle & I built 1 of these "shingles"... had a 7 1/2 horse merc on it ...we thought we were really flying ,.... lost the fin 1 time , found out the damn thing would go sideways w/o turning ... what a blast !!!
    dave

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They used to run limited hydros at Allouette Lake when I was a kid. I'll NEVER forget the sound of the chryslers reverberating off the mountains behind the lake. Man. Breaks my heart sometimes to think of all the things we lost that my daughter will never know...

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

You want to see these Cracker/Box Boat in action this Summer / Come to Long Beach Ca. for Socal Speed/boat Clubs Circle Boat Races . (1) It's cheap (2) You never get closer to Boat Racing Action than Long Beach SS PS Grand National Boats and K-Boats .

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Not sure about Eddie but Lou Meyer of Meyer Drake Offenhauser and his son Sonny held just about all the records and won all the races for the "Y" class (Crosley powered) in the 60's.
    I met them at a race on Greenlake in Seattle back then when we were running our 225 driven by Mira Slovak.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. randyfloyd

randyfloyd

I just got back from visiting the Maritime Museum in South Haven, Michigan, and they have a very cool hydroplane racer by an early builder named Century in their outboard motor exhibit. I thought this would be very much in the spirit of the original video posted and you can really get a feel for just how small, fast, and dangerous these little craft would have been. IMG_6117.JPG IMG_6118.JPG IMG_6120.JPG IMG_6124.JPG IMG_6125.JPG

63fdsnr and volvobrynk like this.
  19. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A multi-step hydro, the pre-cursor to the 3-point hydros. I didn't know if these step designs would be considered acceptable for this thread or not. I love this style of race boat myself, and I have some cool photos, but I've hesitated to post them. Awaiting word from on high, or from a moderator...

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

They looked neat but were way out of date designwise by 1951 as noted by the demise of the Quicksilver in the Gold Cup race on Lake Washington. Sad deal.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. Damn. Boat turned onto itself at way over 100mph. Bad day to lose two good guys. Someone has a recreation in the works ... but I believe it is only in spirit, and name.

22. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quicksilver was an outdated design, however, I don't believe that's why it crashed. They were having issues the entire weekend in Seattle in 1951, and in fact, qualified with the slowest time. Videos show the boat porpoiseing down the straightways, which was uncommon with step hydros. Something was amiss, either with the balance or the prop, etc. Here is the AP report of the 1951 race after qualifying was completed and prior to competition. It's interesting to note that Miss Pepsi, another step hydro like Quicksilver, was the #1 qualifier, ahead of the 3-point SMS IV and V. After the crash, the race was stopped and the race winner was declared to be SMS V, since she was leading at the time.

Seattle — (AP) — Chuck Thompson drove the super-powered Miss Pepsi around the three mile Gold Cup course Friday at a record-smashing 100 miles per hour to establish her as the chief challenger to Slo-Mo-Shun IV.

Setting a new qualifying standard as it entered the list for today’s Gold Cup, the Detroit-owned Miss Pepsi averaged 104.247 mph on the fastest of its three qualifying laps. Official time was 100.5586 miles per hour for the nine-mile tour.

Miss Pepsi became the sixth boat to qualify. Others included the defending champion, Slo-Mo-Shun IV (90.45) and her sister, the Slo-Mo-Shun V (91.37); Hurricane IV (90.06); Such Crust (93.34); Hornet (82.12); Quicksilver (68.04).

(Reprinted from the Associated Press, August 3, 1951
    Miss Pepsi, with dual Allisons...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  23. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    My Sweetie was another very competitive step-hydro. These designs were more than competitive on race courses that did not have very wide (multi bouy) turns.

24. spooler41

spooler41

Well this thread has brought back a flood of memories, my family moved back
    to Seattle in 1946 after spending '42 thru early'46 in Wichita . Dad was a engineering
    test pilot for Boeing, a B-29 Driver. I have many years of memories of the Seafair Races
    and the unlimited hydroplanes . I was a big fan of the Merlin/Allison powered hydros,
    there is nothing like the sound of a Merlin at full song . It stops me in my tracks every time.
    Thanks Ryan for bringing the subject to the top.

................................. Jack

volvobrynk and warbird1 like this.
  25. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as we are discussing step hydroplanes, here are some photos of the restored "My Darling". Like "My Sweetie" and also "Quicksilver", they were all from plans from Hacker, although the Hacker design for "Quicksilver" was an older design. During the transition period from step to 3-point designs (and in particular, the Ted Jones design of Slo Mo IV), these step hydros were very competitive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Notice that the engine is facing backwards. It was designed to use a V-drive/trans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some specs on "My Darling". 31'6" OAL, 7'8" OAW, and built at home in 1949 by the original owner from Hacker's plans, and a duplicate of "My Sweetie"
    [​IMG]
    Here is a rare photo of "My Sweetie" from 1950. Both boats used the V-drive and mid-boat prop set up, with dual rudders.

26. flyin-t

flyin-t

The racing in the film that started this thread was, I'm pretty sure, either lake Elsinore or Salton Sea here in So Cal, I can't remember which. The still that Ryan used, mentioned by someone else, is Marine Stadium here in Long Beach.
    Long Beach
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Frogz and volvobrynk like this.
  27. tevintage

tevintage

A bit of propaganda from the local chamber of commerce. However a great pic of slo-mo-shun in action! TEB

Attached Files:

28. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks everyone.

29. unklgriz

unklgriz

This is an awesome thread!

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Three Flathead[​IMG]ad Mercs