Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage How-To Book List...What d'you have

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by White Brothers, Feb 25, 2010.

1. I know the Tech Week stuff is incredible, but I'd like to start a list of the old "How-To" books that inspired us and gave us all the hard to find know-how before the internet. Let's keep out the Chilton's stuff and any 70s and newer stuff although the Tex Smith stuff is often goldmine information but lets keep it early. Here's some stuff to kick us off.

A must for everyone...the Hot Rod Technical Library
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kinda broke my own rule on the last one but they're REALLY great and informative!

2. Hot Rod Handbooks
    [​IMG]

A "Bible" of sorts for Torching
    [​IMG]

Early How-To with hand drawn diagrams.
    [​IMG]

Odds and Ends of how to eeek out speed
    [​IMG]

3. Basic Ford repair
    [​IMG]

Wild Ideas...Rod Handbooks and Custom Handbook
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Diseases of a Gasoline Automobile and How To Cure Them........Copyright 1903
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010

5. Anybody else or was this just a bad idea?

6. AntiBling

AntiBling

I liked it, but sadly I have nothing to contribute to it, but thanks for posting.

I really need to find some of those old custom books.

7. The original THE BOY MECHANIC by popular mechanics. I think it was first printed in the 40s? Our library had a 1st edition that I think I kept checked out for about 5 years straight ;)

8. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

I'm trying to figure out why this guy is about to jam the tool bit micrometer into the whirling cutting head......

[​IMG]

9. AntiBling

AntiBling

Curiousity has never got the better of you?

10. Zerk

Zerk

My favorite is the late John Thawley's Practical Engine Swapping. The text drew on excellent Petersen magazine articles, but heavily revised and absolutely filled with great info.

11. I've never seen The Boy Mechanic. I think I've seen the Practical Engine Swapping but I can't be sure. I've always heard the infamous Custom Blue Book guide to restyling is a great book but have never got my hands on one. Can anybody confirm?

12. Boy Mechanic was re-issiued. It was more geared towards hobbies to keep kids outt trouble but there are plans for air powered ice boats and all sorts of things, crossbows even ;)

13. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

[​IMG]

This is what i have right here. Two about chassis and one about body repairs. I also have model specific books and some others :)

14. This is all I have....more about welding and metal work, but they are the starting point.

Attached Files:

15. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Hahaha......."I wonder what would happen if I....... "

16. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

... Shabaam! Thats how it usually ends but what the heck, i've learned somethin' today!

17. Abomination

Abomination

BTTT! Some of these are really great!

~Jason

18. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

A couple more I noticed posted by HAMBer jpm49c on Seret's "Sports Car" build thread...these books are rumored to be loaded with knowledge!:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I don't have them scanned (yet) but I'm working getting a complete collection of the Hot Rod Technical Library little books...

The amount of information in these is invaluable in my opinion. I can't even find this kind of information online.

I have

-Hot rod engine swaps
    -Carburetion systems
    -Ignition systems (both editions)
    -Exhaust systems (both editions)
    -Wiring systems
    -Steering and Chassis
    -Clutches and Transimissions
    -Custom car grilles
    -Fins and taillights
    -Custom painting techniques
    -Custom wheels & Lowering
    -Dashboards and Detailing
    -Scoops and Sculpturing
    -Custom headlights and fenders
    -Model cars
    -Custom Chevies
    -Custom Fords
    -Hot Rodding the Plymouth
    -Fuel Systems
    -Bodywork
    -Brake Systems
    -Cams and Valves
    -Custom Upholstery

and I still have a large amount to find yet

20. chriseakin

chriseakin

One I have that my Dad inherited from his Uncle and I got from him - Dykes Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia (1936 edition) - has a section on building speedsters, on turning a car into a truck, setting up a repair shop, installing a car engine (ModelT) in a boat, aircraft engines, has tons of information on different types of engines. I haven't used it for anything other than fantasy, but if I actually wanted to build a speedster the way they did in the old days, it tells me how. You can find them for sale in old bookstores sometimes, various editions, and on the internet of course.
    Chris

21. RichG

RichG

Here's an online copy: http://www.archive.org/stream/dykesautomobile00dykegoog#page/n1/mode/2up

(It's a great book, I first found out about it from a 96 year old machinist)