Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage houses, post a pic of yours.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Hell of a place Ade.....be a good place for a rod run!!!! (hint hint)

2. Now I get to play!

My hubby and I are settling on this lil' beauty on May 12th. It was built in 1952, so Faye should be right at home there in her swell 20X40 detached garage! The house is all stone, with hardwood floors throughout, and a finished basement with a big bar!

I have big mid-century plans for the interior including a swanky basement lounge with wall to wall leopard carpet I just found at Home Depot.

I also scored a killer circa 40's rattan sofa, 2 chairs, end-tables and lamps for the enclosed front porch which has electric and heat.

[​IMG]

Garage out back!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stacey

3. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

i have been trying to sort out a car event there,,,,, wont be this year but may happen next year a uk HAMB event would be a good start

it is a great place lots of out buildings no dungens that i have found but plenty of cellers and stuff

they filmed an inspector morse episode there once

4. Buick57

Buick57
    from Kialla

you Can Live In Ya Car But Ya Can't Race Ya House..

5. bonesy

bonesy

scarylarry - I am green with envy. Great eye for design!

6. lonely king

lonely king

you guys have some beautiful homes..wish i had a home like that..

7. richydab

richydab
    from UK

So do I! (see my earlier posting...)

8. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not many places hold a candle to Scarry Larry's - something to aspire to!

9. here is my 100 YO dump,currently under going a sloooooooooooow renovation, something has to be done w the siding this year :(

Attached Files:

10. Here's mine.....built in '36 as the school-teacher's cottage. 18" thick adobe walls, adobe pump house and guest house out back. We like it.:D

Attached Files:

11. AntiBling

AntiBling

Glad someone said it. My house, built in the 30s or something, moved out from town to my farm with my grandpa riding on top moving the powerlines over it, in like the late 50s early 60s. Im 3rd generation in the house.

[​IMG]

Isnt pretty on the outside, and aint much better on the inside. But lots of room in the basement for storing all kinds of parts, got a small workshop in the basement for smaller projects as well.

12. Mine was a one owner '36 when I got it 10 years ago.

Attached Files:

13. I think I just shit myself:eek:. that is the coolest house i have seen!!!

14. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Here's mine that I've been working on for 5 years. It was a very muddled 1952 tract home. The front doors were some very misplaced french doors- the siding was plywood with 1-inch vetical pine strips. It had hideous '70s Colonial window toppers and giant window planters.
    I stripped it and added the craftsman stlye trim and redwood siding- hung every piece of wood by myself!!! Reminds me why I haven't finished my hot rod!!!

Attached Files:

15. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

my things house is new...lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

1906 Farmhouse that we cut up and moved to Austin in 2002...been working on the rebuild since then. Picked it up out of the Greensheet from the grandkids of the man who built it.
    When we found it out in the cornfield there was a certain Texas Chainsaw Massacre quality to her...:D

This is the BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

photos from the move & rebuild:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...AND currentlly as she sits...:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40two likes this.
  17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Can't imagine why I didn't read this thread the first several times around.

I'm on my 10th house now -- six in a row were pre-WW2 (2 of them pre WW1), the last one was a '47 bungalow remodeled by a previous owner-architect into a mid-century modern with skylights and cool built-in cabinetry. Unfortunately it sold to a developer and is gone. I don't have pix of any of the oldies in the computer.

My current place is 1978, and typically late 20th century -- concrete and cardboard. Luckily it's not bad looking, has underground utilities and a 3-CAR GARAGE!!

Attached Files:

18. SOLO

SOLO

That is a awesome pad Scrap Iron! Where do the cars go?

19. hoof

hoof

Scary Larry,

My wife is originally from the Dallastown/Redlion.York area, and Seven Valleys sounds really familiar, is that in that area? Her parents were both teachers at Dallastown, Hill was there last name. If I am thinking about the right area just let me know and I would be more than willing to eyeball, ooh and aah over a place as great as yours!
    CHAZ

20. scarylarry

scarylarry

Yep, same area but on the other side of Rt.83. Stop by any time you are in the area.

21. 30roadster

30roadster

I've talked about it before....and it still hurts to think about. My parents sold their home located on a bayou south of Houston about 3 years ago. It was a copy of Mies Van Der Roe's Farnsworth house only out of wood and glass instead of concrete steel and glass. Right after my parents sold it and the papers were signed the new owners smiled big and told my mom that they were going to tear it down. They said that they only bought the house for the lot. You can take a boat from the house out into Galveston bay. They tore it down and built a big yuppie P.O.S. that i'm hopeful will get washed into Galveston bay next good hurricaine.....but ask me how i really feel:D

anyway here are some pic's of the lost house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Hey Larry.
    Your house is nothing short of F&*%ing awesome,
    Im always up in Gettysburg running around. Next time I may have to look you up and see it up close.
    I have to ask, What does the shitter lool like?
    See you in May for sure.
    Todd

23. scarylarry

scarylarry

"I have to ask, What does the shitter lool like?" He-he they are white and shiney. PM me when you are in the area.

24. Clamsy

Clamsy
    from Mass

OK being new here I figured The house thread was a good place to start. The house built in 1750, by a Revolutionary War Captain, we bought 5 years ago.

Clamsy
    [​IMG]

25. i don't have a house, but live in a 1926 built 4-plex. all hardwood floors, high ceilings, baseboard, door trim, and nice paned glass windows and i crammed it full of old stuff from the early 20's - 50's that i like. here's a couple of pics my girlfriend took-

Attached Files:

26. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

Larry............Thanks for the great pics. When I first saw your post, I figured Seven Valleys must be in western Pa. I live in Lancaster, and friends of ours have a house much like yours. Theirs is also a three-story, and is furnished and decorated with stuff they collected over the years. It is in the downtown area of the city, and has also been featured in several magazines. I have some photos of it, but couldn't locate them right away. I can't wait to share your pics with them.

It's truly amazing to see all the different styles and locations of our fellow HAMB'rs homes.

27. Scarry Larry's place is definitely one of the most awesome places i've ever seen that's for sure....guess where i get some of my inspiration ;)

28. My first house was built in 1922. It was a little 2 BR bungalow with a small 1 car garage. My 40 Ford just fit inside with barely enough room to walk around it much less do any work on it. The owner had an extention put on the back so his 66 Buick would fit it it, but only on the lower portion of the wall. I guess it was half price that way....:rolleyes: I bought it in 1986 from the original owners, an old couple had it built for them when they were newlyweds. It was a neat old unmolested house complete with the old kitchen stove and a cool old table with the stainless band around the edge. When we went to settle and they brought the original deed out, it had provisions in it that would not allow it to be sold to "Negroes or Chinese". Kinda' makes you realize how different the times where back in 1922.

29. Mootz

Mootz

My humble little home built in 1937...
    [​IMG]

Mootz

40two likes this.
  30. Absolutely criminal. Same shit happens up here - beautiful modernist house gets demolished so some nouveau riche fucktards can have their 6000 sqft Barbie Dream Castle, complete with Rapunzel turrets and a 4 car garage for the pink BMWs.

I belong to a modernist preservation group, Chicago Bauhaus and Beyond, and we try to to prevent it through tax rules and historic designations. Unfortunately, we haven't considered physical violence as an alternative approach. The people who did that to your folks' house should be kneecapped with a tire iron, as a warning, and just on principle.