Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage houses, post a pic of yours.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I dig the old houses and I know that you guys are as sick as me when it comes to wanting old stuff. So go ahead and post em....you know you want to.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My crappy dive was built in 1957. Redefines 'vintage crap'.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you forgot to include OT in the title ;)

and even though my house was built in 1908
    it has been remuddled enough to not be worth showing here..:eek:

4. TxRat

TxRat

mine was built in the late 50's. BUT it was covered in siding at some point. now it just looks like all the rest...

5. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

I don't have a picture, But I just bought a 1938 Two bedroom in Long Beach CA. Very neat old house w/ picture molding, barrelled celings, even a cool lille Milk Man pass through door in the back. two car garage WITH A FULL BATHROOM IN IT, and an attached side shop.
    Coolest thing about it is one of the previous owners invented the Bowling pin Racking machine.

BYC

6. skyrodder

skyrodder

This is not my house... but i love old houses too... i live in a historic part of the city so most houses around here look like this from the victorian era.. I'll own one some day... I'm still in a apt..
    [​IMG]

7. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

We live here in Seattle in an old Hotel building called The Wilsonian, built in 1923. It is gorgeous with ballroom and everything, pretty much unmolested what comes to our appartment exept carpets and partly modernized kitchen. I really like it, especially when you can buy cheap old furniture here!

http://www.wilsonian.com/arwen/

8. I'll see if I can find a good photo of ours, it was built in the late 1870s, an old farm house. It's framed in rough oak and walnut. We gutted it and redid everything, HVAC, plumbing, insulation, sheetrock, roof. It would have been a lot easier to start new, but we saved a lot of money doing it the way we did.

9. skyrodder

skyrodder

Thats what my wife and i plan to do too... especially since i do remodeling myself..

10. 55olds88

55olds88

Mines a 1927 California Bungalow, there is a chunk of it showing in the background, its my old family house, I bougt it of my mum about 7 years ago seemed easier then emptying the garage....... third house on the site so has some earlier features as well, was re-styled inside in the 50's I guess which lost some of the earlier moldings etc, still got high ceilings and I just re-discovered some of the original ceilings above a later false ceiling so might uncover those one day.

Attached Files:

11. scarylarry

scarylarry

I know mine is old news, but here it is. 1917 cigar factory.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Wow Larry, that is a cool place to hang your hat, thanks for the pixs.

13. Mootz

Mootz

Very cool, don't think it gets much cooler.

Mootz

14. scarylarry

scarylarry

Thanks oldspeed. We really dig it. We're going to be on HGTV sometime on the show "Rezoned". They were here from 8A.M. to 5:30 P.M. to do a 5 1/5 piece! I think I snuck my '31 pickup in though! Just happened to be outside for the host to lean on.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. skyrodder

skyrodder

Hey larry awesome place... i think i saw it on tv once ... is it?

scarylarry likes this.
  16. Joeyd

Joeyd

whoah larry thats pretty awesome, never seen someone take something like that and make it a house. very sweet!

17. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

A lot of folks may not realize how much work can go into an old place like yours, I have a stone building built in 1805 that was a boys academy with my house being the head masters house, I have been trying to fix the old building for years now, finally got a roof that dosen't leak all the windows fixed and the birds out, I use it to park the toys in it, no power or heat yet maybe next year, but your place is great.

18. scarylarry

scarylarry

Here are a few more photos. Sorry if it looks like I'm showing off, but we have all this stuff that I love to collect and no one ever stops by to see it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Mutt

Mutt

Show off some more PLEASE....:D

Mutt

20. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

amen to that. Hamb party at ScaryLarrys!!!!!! Seriously, sweet gig. An ex of mine's dad bought a grade school in Illinois somewhere with the indoor gym and more for like $180k at a state auction It was a helluva deal and he blocked most of it off and only heats about five rooms of it. I don't know what he does with the rest cause he hates me. I still think it's cool though.

21. Not the best pic, but this is my old '60 infront of my 1928 territorial. It is a designated historic home, and is VERY old for Phoenix. Phx is known for tearing down old buildings to make way for new ones that just look old.

22. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

here is my place, built in 1894, "the Drake house"
    its old and drafty and I love it!
    Highland Park is full of these old places.

Attached Files:

WillyKJr likes this.
  23. skyrodder

skyrodder

Thats Awesome I love the brick driveway !

24. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

cools thread...

show us more, larry!!!

is it hard to heat the place, even if you have a lot of it blocked off?

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Not mine, but in my town...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someday I want to own an American Foursquare, that is if I can't find something more unusual, ala the cigar factory or school gym ideas. I always thought the old Ford dealership here in town (batteries died, or I'd have pics) would be great. Reinstall the showroom plate glass and make that the living room!

My parents live in an old farmhouse, parts of which date back to the 1850s, but it doesn't look particularly old anymore. They're planning to redo it 1920s-style once little brother is done with college.

26. Plowboy

Plowboy

My Lowly Shack. Not one bit of insulation in it. I need to fix that one of these days.I hate working on the house.

Attached Files:

27. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

This o/t thread is getting good. Talking about my home town in Finland, there is an old wooden town in the middle of the city. It is nowadays a World Heritage unit, but people live there normally. I wish I could buy a house there one day when we go back to Finland and when we have sold our current row house appartment. They are pretty expensive, though. And the roads and especially gates are quite small for a big car.

Here are the Old Rauma www-sites: http://www.oldrauma.fi/
    And here you can see an excellent virtual tour in Old Rauma: http://www.rauma.fi/matkailu/panoraamat/vanharauma.htm (just click the map)

[​IMG]

28. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

Here is a old pic of my house

built bout 1880
    not a fancy building.........working man's house:)

pic was taken 1914
    window on second floor right side was painted on..:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

here's my old house just before I sold it two years ago

1922 Craftsman

Attached Files:

30. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I don't have any pics handy, but we bought part of an old potato farm. We gutted the refrigerated cold storage room and knocked a doorway into part of the barn for our house. It suits us just fine, cement floors and all. The best part is there is still an attached 7 car garage! I totally scored both with the land and the woman who understands why we lived in a travel trailer while we built.:D