Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Guitars and Amps

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by little red 50, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Joe Mammana

Joe Mammana
    from Tucson AZ

Thanks, I thought about putting on an old Bigsby tremolo at one time but couldn’t bring myself to alter it from original.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

little red 50 likes this.
  2. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Have G&l basses and all are to new for here my son also has G&L guitars and yes we are building guitars for him and his buddies to play and it is great fun

3. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

this is my REAL go to favorite . not a fancy model ,but it plays grt and its a 47 , i think , DSCF5361 (1).JPG so has a sound all its own !

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stick a P90 on it and it could pass for my ‘57 ES-125

5. ken/alabama

ken/alabama
    from Alabama

Had a nice 1967 Martin D28. Thought I needed some money and sold it. Wish I could relive that day.

Truck64 and little red 50 like this.
  6. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

I have never seen a bass with a tremelo bar. That is VERY different.

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I just added another one to my collection. This is a Paramount, which I've never heard of before, so I had to go on an internet search, and it appears that the brand name was used by a company out of New Jersey in the 40's - 50's, the parent company was possibly United, or maybe Code, the details are very murky. I've read the company also made body's for D'Angelica guitars in New York. Then again, Gretsch also produced series of guitars they branded as Paramount, and Fender also has a Paramount series of acoustic guitars. Like I said, the details are murky. This guitar does not appear to be a re-branded Gretsch, and definitely not a Fender acoustic. So I believe it is a Paramount from United, and I'd date it sometime from the 50's. There is no tag inside, or serial number that I can see, so this is all an educated guess. In any case, it's a very well made guitar, it's 17 1/2" across the lower bout, so it's a really big guitar, with a 25" scale length.

The back, sides and neck are maple (solid I believe) with some nice flame, and the top I believe is spruce. The pickups are vintage Gibson P90's. The neck joint is solid and the neck is straight with the right amount of relief, and the action is very nice with great playability. It has one of those baseball bat type necks that were common on Kay and Harmony guitars in the 40's - 50's, which I really like. I have a couple of guitars with big fat necks like this, and once you adapt to them it's feels great to have the neck fill your hand up. It's probably not best if you're into shredding, but I'm a blues guy, I'm more into choosing the right note and milking it than I am into speed. I'll leave that for the younger guys. (I used to be into Johnny Winter and Alvin Lee when I was younger, and I thought speed was everything. In my older yeas I've learned to appreciate note selection over speed).

The finish is excellent for such an old guitar, I think this thing lived in a case for most of it's life. There is come slight lacquer checking/cracking, but it doesn't even show in these photos. My old 57 Harmony has a lot more lacquer checking than this. I've only had a short time to play it through an amp, but it has that great, warm early jazz guitar tone, and the pickups will push the amp into breaking up very easily. Which can be both bad and good, depending on what you're trying to do. I think it should work good both with the band and with the duo act I have. Anyway, check out the pics, this thing is gorgeous.
    20210901_192817small.jpg 20210901_192101small.jpg 20210901_192111small.jpg 20210901_192123small.jpg 20210901_192154small.jpg 20210901_192205small.jpg 20210901_192214small.jpg 20210901_192235small.jpg 20210901_192247small.jpg

8. little red 50

little red 50

Dam that is a thing of beauty. It just looks like it has a nice big warm tone. Nice!

Blues4U likes this.
  9. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

I have some nice guitars I have acquired over the years, but I especially love amps. British amps in particular..

I've had a couple of health scares, and I've paired this down a bit.

[​IMG]

Truck64, 57JoeFoMoPar, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sweet! Some really great amps there. I've been thinking of whether to post my HAMB era amps here, or in another threads just for vintage electrical gear. I suppose this thread is as good as any other, right?

little red 50 and Guy Patterson like this.
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. Better than starting a vintage amp thread.

12. little red 50

little red 50

Do it! Please

Blues4U likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's my Gibson GA20. It dates to around 1954. When I bought it it was covered in flat brown oil base house paint, painted with a brush. I took it all apart to remove the paint, and found about 2 - 3 layers of other colors underneath, I think black was the first coat. This is as good as I could get it, I'm afraid any more work removing the paint will do too much damage to the material that is left.

2 x 6V6 power tubes, 12" Jensen P12R alnico mag speaker. This is a great sounding amp, similar to a tweed Fender 5E3 Deluxe. Beautiful clean tone, but it breaks up real early, and when it does it rawks.

I traded an old Crate solid state head and 4 x 12 speaker cabinet for it, hahah!
    IMG_3648.jpg IMG_3649.jpg IMG_3650.jpg IMG_3651.jpg IMG_3652.jpg IMG_3653.jpg IMG_3654.jpg

This is what it looked like when I got it.
    DSC00869 (Large).JPG

14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Wow, is that a 61/62 Marshall "Blues Breaker" in front? GREAT collection of amps there.

15. little red 50

little red 50

Thanks for posting that. I have a uncle that has a Gibson very similar to that one. Its been passed around the family for 50 years. Maybe its my turn. It seems like it had reverb on it, is that possible?

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Some of the early Gibsons did have reverb, very nice reverb. I had a customer bring me his GA30RV to shellac the tweed for him. Somewhere along the line the tweed had been replaced, but they didn't apply any shellac or lacquer, so I took it apart and did that for him. This has beautiful reverb, it sounds like Fender's outboard reverb tanks, if you've ever heard one (which you have, even if you didn't know it. Thats the reverb heard on countless surf records). Gibson models that had reverb usually had the letters RV at the end of the model name.
    20200802_170139.jpg 20200802_170240.jpg 20200802_170311.jpg

It looked like this when it came to me:
    20200730_195218.jpg

flatheadpete, bowie and little red 50 like this.
  17. little red 50

little red 50

That's nice! The amp my uncle has looks more like the one of yours you posted first. He said he wanted to sell it and called a music store and they told him it wasn't worth much. It does work. Its not in as good of shape as yours. I would like to buy it and offer a fair price. Do you have a ballpark figure without seeing it. He would probably give it to me. He's 77 years old and only has social security for income. I just want to be fair.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Gibson amps are far more reasonable than comparable Fender amps from the same period, they just aren't as collectible. That GA20 I have, I think the price marked on it when I found it at a Guitar Center was ~$400. For a similar aged Fender Deluxe that is 1/3 the price of one in similar condition.

The one you're talking about would be worth more because of the reverb, and it's probably a higher power amp. If it doesn't work, you'll have money tied into fixing it. It could be something simple, like tubes; it could be something expensive, like a transformer. Hard to say.

bowie and little red 50 like this.
  19. little red 50

little red 50

Thanks for taking the time to provide the info. If I end up buying it I will post some pictures.

20. little red 50

little red 50

I got that Gibson amp today. It is a little rough but it works good. Its a ga-30 with a 12 and a 8 inch speaker. And no reverb. With the number that is stamped on the speaker it appears to be a 1950 model.
    IMG_20210927_165504.jpg IMG_20210927_165158.jpg

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Awesome!

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Let's keep going with the amps. How about this Alamo Jet? a single ended single 6V6 power tube amp, with Reverb & Tremelo, which are extremely rare in a single ended amp like this. This was one of the first amps I experimented on many years ago as I was learning about the theory and operation of tube amps. I've had it since about 1975 or so, and it was an old amp then. It originally came with a 12" speaker in it, and had a speaker out of a Fender Bassman in it when I got it. But that speaker had a tear in it, so when I rebuilt the amp I changed the baffle out and installed a 15" speaker, just because the cabinet was big enough. I also did a lot of tweaking with the preamp circuit, it has a lot of gain available, and can easily overdrive the power tube into full saturated distortion when cranked up (think Fender Champ with a blower). Or keep everything rolled back and it's pretty mello if you prefer.
    front side.JPG
    Tube rectifier, single 6V6 power tube, single 12AX7 preamp tube, and a 6AU6 for the tremelo. The reverb is transistor driven, with a spring tank mounted on the bottom of the cabinet. Since this photo was taken I've since upgraded the output transformer and swapped out the 6V6 power tube to a 6L6GC for about 10 watts of power. That 15" speaker has also been changed out to an old Jensen C15N I picked up sometime after the photo was taken.
    rear2.JPG Chassis4.JPG

A very basic circuit, all point to point wired. Plenty of room so that everything is spread out wide (most amps are packed in a lot tighter than this). This was a good amp to experiment on and learn how different resistors and capacitors shape the tone. Easy to work on for a newbie, kind of like hot rodding a Model T.
    Chassis3.JPG

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Speaking of Alamo amps, here is my Alamo Paragon Bass amp. It's an OK bass amp, but a great guitar amp, as many of these old tube bass amps are. This has a very unique circuit that uses a 6AU6 pentode in the preamp to recover the signal after the tone stack and boost it prior to the phase inverter stage. Very unique, not just a copy of a Fender (and lets face it folks, everybody is standing on Leo's shoulders, particularly Jim Marshall) and it sounds awesome. It also has a bass reflex cabinet to enhance the low end output, with a great sounding vintage Jensen C15N speaker. One evening I had a guitar playing buddy over to the house and we were hanging out in the shop making noise; and I set up this amp and my old Fender Super Reverb using an A/B pedal to quickly switch back and forth between them, and we both took turns playing them and switching between them, and we both agreed the Paragon Bass was the better sounding amp. No onboard reverb though, have to use pedals for that.
    Paragon frnt.JPG Paragon side.JPG paragon bck.JPG papragon chassis.JPG paragon cab.JPG paragon tubes.JPG
    Amperex Bugle Boy tubes, highly sought after by tube aficionados.
    amperex tube.JPG

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This one here has been one of my most successful projects. It started out life as an RCA public address amp, it was probably installed in a business somewhere and served as the PA for several decades, before I got it off the bay. There was a time when you could pick these up pretty cheap, not anymore. I stripped the chassis of everything but the transformers and tube sockets, and rebuilt is completely, all new filter caps, all new tubes, and a completely new circuit I designed myself inspired by the Matchless Clubman. Like the Alamo above, this one uses a 6AU6 in the pre-amp. When trying to decide what to do with it, I was scouring various guitar amp schematics and when I came across the Clubman schematic I decided that was the one to go with. It's not a direct match, because the Clubman uses different tubes, and has Reverb and an FX loop, but it's not far off. This turned out so bitchin, I would put this amp up against pretty much any classic amp for tone quality, for playability and ease of use. More gain than a Marshall, with a tonal character kind of Voxish, but not really. It's the cathode biased power tubes, that gives it that awesome class A sound. But it's also the 6AU6 pentode in the pre-amp. If you haven't played an amp with a pentode pre-amp you don't know what you're missing. Far more gain than the typical triode pre-amp tubes, and a wider bandwidth. Excellent low end, plus extended high end. It's a pretty magical sound. It's why Vox amps with the EF86 pentode pre-amps are loved so much. Maybe some day when I quit the day job I will build and sell a few amps using this circuit. I've been stocking up on 6AU6 tubes (I use them in different amps too).

Clubmstr front.JPG
    I had the face plate etched at a trophy shop. I brought them the design, I think they supplied the plastic IIRC, blue on white. Cream chicken head knobs fit the bill nicely.
    clubmstr face.JPG clubmstr tubes.JPG clubmstr trans.JPG Clubmstr back.JPG
    True point to point wiring
    clubmstr chassis.JPG
    The only amp I've built using a buss bar ground, it works very well, the amp is very quiet at idle.
    clubmstr chassis2.JPG clubmstr chassis3.JPG clubmstr chassis4.JPG clubmstr chassis5.JPG

williebill and little red 50 like this.
  25. cycledelicjohn

cycledelicjohn

haven't picked mine up lately . my grandson wants to learn so i decided to teach him a few chords . will tell him about youtube for lessons . are PRS sunburst u.s. made worth the price to enjoy & pass on ?

26. little red 50

little red 50

Man you are all in! You have some really nice and very cool stuff. Thanks for posting, and post more if you will!

Blues4U likes this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It depends on if you like them or not. They're really not my style, but they are very good quality guitars. Note, as far as I know PRS usually uses an odd scale size, 25", which is kind of in between the standard Gibson scale length of 24.75" and the standard Fender scale length of 25.5", and the scale really does effect the tone of the guitar, and the string tension. Some people love them, they have a very big following, just not my cup of tea. And not what I would recommend for a new player, mainly because of the cost, and you never know if a new player is going to stick with it or not. I don't know how well they hold their value. But for a seasoned player that plans on keeping it, it's a quality instrument that will last the life of the owner and be passed down to the following generation.

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Continuing on, here's an old Silvertone 1482 I rebuilt for my brother. These were cheap when I picked it up, I think it was <$150.00, now they're going for close to $400 I think. Maybe more, people are crazy. But the word got out on them and they became one of those things people collect. The stock amps sound freakin' great, but of course I had to tweak it even further than stock. I replaced all the electrolytic caps (had a cap can custom made for the specs I needed), measured all the resistors and replaced all that had drifted out of spec, then I rewired the preamp more along the lines of a Fender 5E3 tweed Delux, but using my modifications on that circuit. I gave 1 channel a very bassy voice, and the other a very bright voice (kind of like the tweed Bassman), then when you plug in, you plug into 1 channel and jump the channels so both are active, and you can mix & match the volume controls for more control over the eq of the amp. It works sweet. Killer little amp! Not much headroom, it breaks up really early, it's super easy to get rolling feedback, and it will sustain a compressed note for ever when it's cranked up all the way. Great fun! front2.JPG front3.JPG

The amp came without a speaker, and without a back panel. I pulled a speaker out of my collection, and decided it was too heavy to attach to the stock particle board baffle, so I cut a new baffle out of 1/4" birch plywood.
    baffle bck.JPG rear open.JPG

The speaker is from an old church organ, w/ alnico magnet.
    rear.JPG

The blue can on the chassis is the custom filter cap can I had made. Those 6V6 power tubes are some NOS GE's I had in my stash. I tried to polish up the chassis as nice as I could without stripping it. It came out pretty nice.
    chassis.JPG

I cut a new back panel out of some 3/8" plywood, had to cut an opening for the speaker magnet, and sprayed it with one of those textured spray paints in an attempt to get somewhat close to the original covering, I think it's close enough for rock & roll.
    back.JPG back2.JPG back3.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  29. little red 50

little red 50

Thanks for all the cool amps and info! I changed the thread title in hopes of drawing more interest to all the awesome information you are posting! Thanks again.

Blues4U likes this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks, I've got more, it's kind of a sickness. G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), not all is HAMB era friendly, if that matters a whole lot here.

210superair, little red 50 and bowie like this.