Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Guitars

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by little red 50, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's an early 50's Fender lap slide. I used to play around with this quite a bit, but haven't had it out of it's case in years. Hard to fit a lap slide into a live performance. It needs new heads for the tuning keys, the old bakelite plastic disintegrated. Lap slide front.JPG Lap slide back.JPG Lap slide front2.JPG Lap Slide headstock.JPG

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Man, you have a great collection.

Blues4U likes this.
  3. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Nice guitar, too bad it's refinished. Looses a lot of value for that, but still a nice guitar.

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes, that's the way I acquired it in 1977. Changing it now would be akin to refinishing the patina of an old hot rod. I love it just the way it is and that's how it will stay.

little red 50 likes this.
  5. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Totally agree with you. Sometimes you need to leave them the way they are. My electric bass is kind of like that...when I acquired the neck, the body had been carved up into an eagle, it was a '59 P-bass. I mated it with a '63 body and left the neck unfinished as it was when I bought it. It's my favorite bass, it's got the best sound, it feels the best to me...it's my bass.:cool::)

Thank your lucky stars you have it, those 50s teles are going off the chart on price also...many players prefer the rosewood fingerboards over the older maple necks. The width is usually a tad narrower up near the nut. That's a player's guitar you have there! (just like my bass! ;))

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Blues4U likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Check this out, lady got herself a great buy:

little red 50 likes this.
  7. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

This auctioneer is really overplaying this guitar, the models with the P90s are not as desirable, most people want the humbuckers. Not to mention those tailpieces are known to go out of intonation frequently. Nothing that can't be fixed, but it won't be original if someone did.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Picked this Silvertone up at a farm auction today. Have not tried to date it yet. 85 year old guy owned it. Lousy pics, too tired to take new ones

Attached Files:

9. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

That's a nice one, you don't see too many of that style.

You'll notice that there is no truss nut, and it's a bit peculiar the way you adjust the neck on these. You literally bend it with your hands. You really need to get some new strings, set it up, get the intonation setup, and then look at the neck to see if you can see any sway in it...the way I used to do it was pull and bend it on my knee, you want to be slow and gradual...How does it sound through an amp?

Nice score!

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are my guitars. I cut off my left index finger in 1978, sewed it back on but couldn't use it for guitar playing anymore except for barre chording. My hands are too small to play 3-finger guitar on a full size, so had to go to 3/4 size.

1957 ES 125 3/4 on the right and 1957 LG-3/4 on the left. They are like bookends, the body contours, neck, peghead, ivory binding are practically identical. Love these little babies!

IMG_5760.jpg IMG_5761.jpg

11. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

12. My dreams of becoming a bass playing rock & roll god came crashing down when I crushed my left middle finger & left ring finger using a stump grinder, I sold all my Guitars with the exception of a inexpensive 6 string electric guitar my dad gave me for Christmas in the early 60's and my first bass which was also a cheap Japanese guitar.

About 3 years ago I purchased a Gibson/ Epiphone hollow body guitar and occasional pull it out and try playing for my own amusement, sometimes it pretty amusing! :D

Incidentally, I talked with the only other living member of our band yesterday, The Sterling 5 plus one, and Mike suggested we get the band back together, he was the lead singer and could shake a tambourine and wasn't too shabby with a pair of maracas.

I can see the name in lights, "The Sterling 2 minus 4" ----- I don't think it would fly. :rolleyes: HRP

drdave, little red 50 and BrerHair like this.
  13. scarylarry

scarylarry

My old 70's P-bass that I have beat on for the past 35 years & the new Jazz Bass. The P-bass just attaches itself to me after years and hundreds of shows, the jazz just played so nice I had to get it!
    99B5E71B-6B10-4AD9-8DF2-11E3E14F36F5.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  14. little red 50

little red 50

Bump! For some more cool vintage guitars.

15. .. My mid '60's Gibson Barney Kessel ...

gibson 006.jpg gibson 008.jpg

williebill and little red 50 like this.
  16. little red 50

little red 50

1935streetrod likes this.
  17. philo426

philo426

Not vintage but it has that Gretsch like vibe..

18. philo426

philo426