Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Vintage front wheels, post pic's here.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, May 14, 2006.

1. Drive Em

Drive Em

I just scored a pair of 15" x 5" wheels with a 5 x 5 1/2" bolt pattern. They are a chrome steel wheel with a cast aluminum center that looks somewhat like a Torq Thrust. The center is riveted in place. The wheel center is cast with A&H Foundry, Los Angeles, California on the backside. The wheels also have a chrome two bladed center cap. Has anyone ever heard of A&H Foundry? I'll post some pics tomorrow.

2. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Killer thread!

I have been thinking to sell my pair of these... Too bad they are pretty rough... http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/Mikaka2/osia/Magnesium/

Still have some Americans, Fentons, Two-Ribs... Oh and one badass thing! I need to take a photo of it, It´s flat, it´s narrow and it´s alum. Will post it later, don´t have a photo right now. I´ve been trying to find a pair for years.

Attached Files:

3. kanuck442

kanuck442
    from vanisle

Heres a set on an old altered from the late 60's or early 70's that ran originally with a fiat topolino body and a small block chevy. Was going to try and race it again but will not certify so don't quite know what to do with it. Can some one tell me if the front americans are magnesium, or did they also make these in aluminum?
    Kanuck

size.jpg

bucket4.jpg

4. LB...Those are very cool! what does the other side look like? Looks like they could be run either way.

Attitudor...... I have never seen those before. Does anyone know who made them or have a picture of a pair on a car?

kanuck 442.....I don't know if they made aluminum 12 spoke spindle mounts in the USA but I know they did in other countries, I'll get some pics on here later. The pics of 12 spokes already in this thread are magnesium.

5. Shiftee

Shiftee

Killer pics guys I love old wheels and I love the old Crestlines I have a cherry set of american lemans chevy pattern that I would trade for some crestline in chevy pattern????

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I had a big vat of elbow grease at one point, used it all up though, probably explains the glasses.

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I think all that was about, was a slight offset difference. That is what makes these old wheels cool, they were pure function, that happened to have some form. Ironically, they're more form than function now (at least to me!).

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Here's my sorry-ass addition to the thread, you can't even put brakes on these things! What were they thinking?!!!
    [​IMG]

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

LB, those wheels are cool with only four windows. They are similar to the 18" smoothies on the back of
    Russ Daly's roadster. You can run them either way.
    The fronts on Russ' car are the typical 5 hole, small window.
    NO elbow grease!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. They were thinking fuel Altereds don't run front brakes! PS, that's no sorry-ass addition.

11. brandon

brandon

performance machine ( the motorcycle parts ) made some aluminum 12 spokes from the old american molds.....word i heard a couple years ago at the v twin expo.....a hamb'er has the molds in his possession now.....or atleast that was what mondo said....brandon

12. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Jeem, If you want to, you can machine off the hub and webbing and drill 'em in your favorite bolt pattern..

13. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

Old swap meet find. Sandblasted and remachined the outer lip. 6"x3.75".

Eat your heart out.

Attached Files:

14. Hey Kev, those wheels look familiar- HaHa!! Great thread, as I am a mag wheel junkie myself. My daughters pedal/race car even has mags! American "six" spokes in the rear and Halibrand spindle mounts up front --- Since I don't know how to post pics, does anybody have a shot of " Lil Gasser" they could put up? Does anyone know if there is a 12 step program for this addiction? Keep the pictures comin fellas!!! D.

15. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

16. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

17. Back in the corner are a pair of 10 x 15 Western slot mags.
    They're slated to be either shod with slicks for the street type drags we have here in Kingman or end up as the "other" set of wheels and tires on the 31.
    Found these at the Ventura Fairgrounds auto swap maybe five years ago.
    Considered myself lucky to find them, I'd been looking for a while, saw a lot of 7" & 8" wides, but no 10's.

(I know the fender looks weird, it's the initial cut on bobbing them. Stilll thinking about how I want the cut to go.)

The pair on the rear of my 32 I bought new in 1985.
    They're 10 x 15 American slots with the very rare hubcap adapter. :confused:

You'd think slot mags in this size would be very common, but the only other ones I've seen in 10 x 15 was a set of four - for a hundred bucks - I was gonna jump on em, but the kid who owned them ran em on a low rider with little bitty tires and used the wheels as curb scrapers.
    They were pretty far gone when I saw them . . . darned kids....:rolleyes:

Another size I'm looking for is a pair of 5 1/2 x 14 slots in Chevy or Uni-Lug bolt pattern.
    By Uni-lug I mean the style that doesn't take a special washer and are oval drilled to fit either Ford or Chevy bolt patterns.

I wouldn't turn down a reasonably priced pair of 8 x 15's.

Even harder to find are the 4 x 15 slot mags.
    In the last 6-7 years I've seen one.
    Not a pair, but one....:(

Attached Files:

18. Juhap, many times - if not most times - the manufacturer casts his name on the inside of the rim.
    The size is usually there as well.

19. I hung off looking at this thread, but cracked. As usual on this site, absolutely fantastic! Thanks.

20. L B

L B
    from So Cal

15X4 Halibrand magnesium smoothies

Attached Files:

brandon likes this.
  21. 1969 Bell auto parts catalog......
    [​IMG]

benchseat4speed likes this.
  22. 1963 1/2 Weiand catalog.......
    [​IMG]

23. 1962 Moon catalog...........
    [​IMG]

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That is cool, I had to save those!! Thanks.

25. racer756

racer756

This is a great thread. I have been to Greg Sheltons place to pick up a pair of International Drag Master rims for my coupe. he IS very knowledgable on ALL old wheels. he is easy to deal with and just a cool man in general. i 'bout shit my pants when I saw his 33 Willys gasser with 429 SOHC Ford with Mag M/T heads,BM Hydro, A time capsule. my .02

26. brandon

brandon

when i talked to him he was telling me about the car...something like it was 1 of 2 built ....and never ran or something...stack motor possibly ....? i thought he said it was out of arizona.......he had it listed in the hemmings hot rod and resto mag about 4 years ago......seems like he wanted 125k for it then.....brandon

27. Larry T

Larry T

Americans with "shaved" Nankang tires (right tread pattern for me).
    Larry T

[​IMG]

28. Here are a couple of pics of Greg's coupe. I took these in 1989 , Willys Roundup at the NDRA drags at Bakersfield. It was then owned by Jim Pankratz who had recently bought it. It had been stored since the 60's on blocks in a barn covered with a parachute. Nice car!!
    [​IMG]

oldtymehiboy and benchseat4speed like this.