Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Vintage front wheels, post pic's here.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, May 14, 2006.

1. I am sleeping......wait, I thought this was a dream:eek: :D

2. Polished version of the Real Rodders Wheels kidney bean.......
    [​IMG]

3. These are nice, but pricey.....but given that the price of the real ones has skyrocketed, maybe not so pricey after all........

4. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Some great looking wheels that have been posted, one of my favorites are the daisy wheel from american racing.
    15x4 unpolished and 15x4 and 15x10 wheels that were polished.

thanks jp

5. At this point I wish I had a pic of the repro' aluminum kidney bean available from Don Waldron. Personally I prefer it over the Real Rodders Wheels version as it looks more authentic to me in person. Something about the crispness of the edges on the RR wheels. Just my opinion. They're all very nice and I'm sure they'll sell alot!!

6. Here's a weird one, 15x 5 1/2 or 6 Halibrand kidney beans, magnesium, with no lip.........
    [​IMG]

7. Aluminum Halibrand..........
    [​IMG]

8. I wonder if they polished the lip off?

9. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Early 16 x 5 magnesium Halibrand Indy car wheels. 52mm Rudge-whitworth

Attached Files:

10. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Cragar 15x4's I had rechromed some years back. These were the original rims off my car date coded July 13, 1973. Tires are original 5.60 Bias ply from 1973 as well. Took one year search and 2 rechromes and lots of shipping cost tries to get the right "color" of chrome to match what Cragar has used for years and too match my NOS rears. I did not realize there was so many different shades of chrome. Cragars made today are 4.5 wide and the offset is almost 1/2 off. Wheels made today are too deep-beisdes being too wide.

I have since found another set and had them rechromed for spares. Company that did them for no longer does them-too much hassle cutting them apart and rewelding after chroming.

An nos set was on a Buy it Now on ebay 2 years ago and they went for $1800

Attached Files:

11. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Any pics of some drag race Motorsport Flys??

I'd kill for a front set.........

PACO

12. Outer lip appears "brushed", now go to sleep

13. Machobuck

Machobuck

Wish I could tell you what they were...From the Gasser Wars book
    [​IMG]

14. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I had a pair on my 55 when I bought it. I thought they were kinda cool, but more of a 70's wheel.
    [​IMG]

15. I "believe" Don's 5(?) year contract expired, and now those very wheels are available direct from Wheel Vintiques in Fresno for HALF the price. These are their "as cast" version on my 51.
    [​IMG]

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Those, I believe, are just the "back" side of a smoothie style Halibrand.

17. brandon

brandon

i don't think that wheel vintique waited 5 years ......i talked to don 3 years ago ....about a year after he released hislate 02 /03 ish... ....and said he was pretty much through selling them.....something to the effect that it was hard to sell a wheel for 1200 a pair when the company that cast them was selling them for 800......plus there were a some that had some issues from casting.....brandon

18. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Magnesium Motorwheel Fly's, with Stahl frontrunner tires.

[​IMG]

19. Machobuck

Machobuck

Thanks Jeem

Was that the "thing to do" way back when?

20. Stahl front runners=goosebumps. That name was everywhere when i was "coming up"

21. brandon

brandon

try bogart or monocoque.......they offer a REAL close version of the wheel....the motorwheels are somewhat hard to find.....either in mag or aluminum......brandon

22. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I probably should have held on to those, but the tires were 7.60-15's and were bigger than I wanted to run. I sold the wheels and tires to Matt King from Hot Rod mag.

23. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

24. ET Torque Thrusts on Firestone Pie Crusts

Attached Files:

25. Great post, thanks !!!

Is that your car...please tell us more about it....chassie and the rest.
    / Sven

26. Here's a pair of American 5 spoke magnesium spindle mounts I used to have. I polished them by hand using steel wool, brasso and elbow grease.
    [​IMG]

deathrowdave and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  27. L B

L B
    from So Cal

Halibrand 18 X 4 , 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern with dirt ribs. Anyone seen a pair before ? Looking for info on these.
    Great post ! Had to participate , L B

Attached Files:

28. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Where do you find elbow grease? That shit is amazing.......

29. It's in your elbow!!!:D

30. It's my 60 Biscayne I've had since '79.Bought it for $100 when cars were cheap.Had a smokin 6 banger in it.I put in a '72 350 with a 350 turbo w/shift kit.Rear end is stock but I'll be putting a posi in it.I have '60 wagon springs on it now but its just a bit too high in the rear and looks a bit "altered".Any suggestions on lowering it a bit? Maybe stock springs with coil overs? ET Torque Thrusts w 4" Firestones up front & chrome reverse with vintage American Dragster cheaters on the rear.I did everything but remove the body from the frame.Worst part was putting in the new floor & right rear 1/4 panel.Replaced most of the exterior stainless with NOS parts.I have to finish tinting the glass red (it was smoked before)& finish the door panels & headliner.This spring I'll paint it semi-gloss black,right now it's just primer.I like the old gasser look.I did all the work myself with a little help from a few good friends.Thanks for asking,Ed:D

Attached Files: