Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Vintage front wheels, post pic's here.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, May 14, 2006.

1. Got a set of these and the Cragar styled ones in 13 inch, they are getting very hard to come by. Making some 15x10 rears with the Radir style ones. Ive taken out the centre (they were bolted into a steel rim) and increased it in diametre with customwood and bondo. About to get some cast up very soon.

2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I just got 2 Ansen Top Eliminator 15x6 wheels for the front of my wagon. I need 2 centers for them. They bolt on like an American 5spoke

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know those were shown a couple of months ago, but what Harley bike are these from? They aren't ringing any bells with my memory. Are they from some sort of later touring type bike? Any pictures of their natural habitat? Sorry for the twenty questions bit, but it's pretty rare that I see something truly different that gets my attention!

donbatey likes this.
  4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Looks like 2010-13 Street Glide?

100_2187.jpg

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

6. Ledfut

Ledfut

I have a pair of vintage 15x6 Ansen 5-spokes on the front of my wagon. I picked them up about 4 years ago from a fellow board member.

Originally had a pair of new American Racing Torq-Thrust D's on the car, which is all that was available locally in this particular style. From the day that they arrived, I was not at all happy with the look. I think a lot of guys settle for these as they feel the look is close to what they are going for (you see a lot of these on 64-65 Mopars). I am just too much a stickler for detail. If I remember correctly, the original Torq Thrust D's did not come into being until sometime after 1965. IMO, the curved spoke just looks plain wrong on a 62-65 Super Stock car. As such, I wasted no time finding a buyer for the TTD's and started searching for something much more period-correct.

Through the H.A.M.B. I was able to locate and purchase what I needed from a member (Greg Shelton) down in California. Once they arrived, I had the Ansens bead blasted to clean them up a bit and then painted them myself (I chose a darker color than the ugly grey paint on the Americans). Next, I took them to a local wheel shop where I had them CNC the outer edge.

I couldn't be happier with the finished product, and they still look great 4 years later! I have included a picture showing a finished Ansen on my car next to one of the Torq Thrust D's. What an improvement!

Attached Files:

rumblegutz likes this.
  7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Those look 1000 times better! I love those Ansens. They just look right. I run the 6" on the back of my coupe and the 4 1/2" mag Americans on the front. They are a good match. I had to restore these wheels too, they were pretty banged up. Looks like I used the same paint as you. :) I found the baldy caps on ebay or you can run the American caps also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevs56, rumblegutz and Dave50 like this.
  8. Ob's Customs

Ob's Customs
    from Washington

Hey does anyone know what these are? 14x5? I think not sure... Just picked up on a early 60's build.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I'll add some pics of 15' x 4 1/2" US Indy mags. (Aluminum).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Nice Kev, are those early Ford pattern?

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Any guess as to who made these 15 x 6. I've never seen this style.

[​IMG]

12. Yes, early Ford pattern. I just sold them.

13. 15 x 3 1/2 Fenton Gyro. I think these are the best looking of the aluminum skinny slots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

justntime likes this.
  14. 15 X 4.5 , Kev whats the bolt pattern. I've started looking for a second set of wheels for my 35 Ford 5w ( to bad it's been converted to 5 on 4.75)

15. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

These are the slots on the front of my Austin. 15x3.5", and supposedly Ansens, but I can't find any markings anywhere on them.
    [​IMG]

These are 14x4.5" ET spokes I bought at a swap meet for my Falcon. Someone carefully sanded and polished all the dark as cast center off them. Might get them polished up a bit if I ever decide to paint the car.
    [​IMG]

17. mattrod68

mattrod68

look like Hollywood branded torque thrust-ish wheels. same company that made the wheels in my avatar.

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ummm......don't mean to stray from the original topic,but are those 427 FE exhaust manifolds behind your new wheels?
    And those wheels look tough as hell,by the way.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The front mags I settled on for my heap have bushings for the lug nuts that I've not seen before. The mags are Astro. The steel bushing presses into the aluminum mag and takes a standard lug nut. Never seen this before, maybe someone added it. Seems to work well enough.

Attached Files:

rumblegutz likes this.
  20. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

15x3.5 Appliance mags.
    [​IMG]

21. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's a common repair. it fixes gnarled-up holes in the soft aluminum.

22. I just bought a set of these at the Pomona swap meet yesterday! :)

23. Sure looks like those were originally for a Shank style mag lug with the big thick washer and someone converted them

24. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Here's my ET II wheels I picked up for the front. Would have liked to find some 15 x 4 but these are 14 x 6 and with a little work got them to go over my disc brakes. The center and out to rim edge is aluminum and in a steel wheel shell. Leaving these as is. Had to track down the correct lugnuts too, Gorilla has them.

[​IMG]

25. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Already posted on the rare wheels thread -

Unusual 2 piece aluminum 15x3 1/2 skinny slots. Very light. Constructed like a steel slot, great quality. No markings of any kind. I've been told some Howard's wheels were aluminum, can anyone verify?

Attached Files:

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I still need two center caps for the front of my wagon if you guys have any. They are Ansen Top Eliminators.

Attached Files:

27. James6speed

James6speed

Mickey Thompson 10 spoke Super Spider's on 427 powered '64.

Attached Files:

28. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Pretty sure I saw an ad for those recently but can't find it right now. Could have been in the back of a 1965 magazine, don't think it was HR, R&C, PHR or CC though. Odd as it sounds there was an ad for very similar two piece E.T. wheels and the ones that may be yours were called T.E.? wheels just a page or so away.

29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Just going by memory but I wanna say these were made by Weld Racing wheels 10-20 years ago.

30. These were made by C-T ind. I remember an ad in one of my old magazines. I believe they had a chrome center cap that covered the whole center.