Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Ford Frame Stamp?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Interesting. I bet either Bruce Lancaster or FlatErnie can tell you what it is. And there are lots of other guys here who can also chime in with some knowledge.

3. Of that, I have NO doubt...:D

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It is a certain companies stamps i forget which

5. 29NASH - Nope...that isn't the one. This is a heavy stamp with case hardening marks on all the parts...a file doesn't touch it. “PATENTS 1289539, 1827260. MADE IN U.S.A. 1/4". The reason I know about the file is because I tried smoothing out a bit of peining over on one of the edges of the stiking surface...

6. So what happens when you give it a whack with your FBH and the little wheel decides to scoot of at the speed of light ? Sometimes it,s hard enough with a normal stamp.

7. RAY With

RAY With

Well, what ever it is its neat as hell and would be good for permanent numbers on you custom builds for ID. We have to put forms of ID on homade trailers in Texas now and that would be real handy in that respect. Many uses and if nothing else just hang it up and look at it.

8. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Type in those patent numbers into Google Patents page, and you'll see the first patent was in 1918, the second in 1931, and assigned to Numberall Stamp and Tool Company of NY, NY by Timothy B. Powers.

Multiple Stamp Device

I think it's pretty neat! I wouldn't use it on cold steel though...

In the patent, it shows there's a second part. It's an alignment tool to keep the numbers aligned as you stamp.

9. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

Before using the stamp, it would be a good idea to check the style of the numbers against the original style stamps used on your Ford ... if you plan to stamp a Ford ... and if originality matters. For example, if you plan to use it on a Model A ("32+/-"), the Model A guys will quickly point out any errors. Further, during Ford's Model A period, the style changed, so ...

The later style used a numeral one that was the same as a capital "I". The numeral nine lost its curved tail; the six was the nine inverted (or the nine was the six inverted, can't remember which.) Early V8's continued this style.

From the eBay photo, the six (or is it the nine) has a curved tail. The numeral one probably does not look like a capital "I" which is unusual for numbering stamps.

Size of the numbers matters IF originality is an issue. (On the other hand, most DMV folks have no clue about number style for particular cars.)

SO, depends what you want to do with it. I have a similar rotary stamp, and I think it's a slick item even though I never use it.

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

if you want stamps just go to mcmaster carr they have all the sizes and styles. They even have the star stamp cause I bought one :)
    Dave

11. RICARDO - Except for the shape of the handle, the business end shown on the Patent Drawing from 1931 is EXACTLY what I have.

I've tried it out already, and it works fine. As I said, all the parts, including the numerals are harder than hell. The little detents on the side of the wheel keep the wheel from rolling around when you whack it. Although the "1" doesn't look like an "I", it sure doesn't look like the "1" on the modern stamps, it looks like the "1" on this Post. It has a separate "6" and "9". Since it was made back then, the numerals are probably more in keeping with the period than modern stamps. WhatEVER it is, I'll be using it for what I bought it for...:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  12. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Here is a pict of a trans stamping that I found on ebay once. Its is likely from a '45 1/2 ton, but I have an older trans (with a 48 series case so it is '35-'36) that has the same number one -- I want to say it has the same 6/9 also but I don't remember if there is a 6 or 9 in the serial number on that one.
    [​IMG]

Dave, could you post a pict of the star that you bought, there is a debate as to whether or not the McMaster star is the same.

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Yup ill do it tomorrow.. I just got home from Eldora speedway and im pretty hung over :).. I have to find it anyway but I know its in my tool chest some where ..
    Dave

14. duste01

duste01