Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Vintage Film Footage - Texas Hill Country Rod Run - Early 70s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dadz34, Nov 1, 2012.

1. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

Updated: More old film footage from my Dad's box of 16mm collection. I wasn't sure if this was from the 60s or 70s, nor where this was filmed until I showed it to Blake Burwell (Austin Hot Rodder, aka D.W. of the Yaa-Hoos) while attending Pistons & Paint. Blake enjoyed the footage and said he would ask Skot Ingram (aka SKOTZ) if he knew where this event was held. My dad had always told me this was footage from one of the first (if not the first) "organized" rod runs in the state of Texas. That next week, Blake wrote me back and with an email response from Skot Ingram. I think Skot said it best in his words...

"WOW.....that's not in the 70's.....late 60's....at Bar K / Lago Vista!

Brought back some memories.....My 2nd hot rod is shown on opening shots....orange(go figure) 28 Roadster PU, with a Chrysler Hemi 3 carbs and white headers, model T grill and metalflake 2 tone interior.....wow, I need to make a copy of this.

Other cars Kinnison's T, Freddy Hoffman's T, George Walkers channeled 32 Tweety Bird.....this was the first official Rod Run, that wasn't just set at a hotel parking lot.....it was hosted by the car show folks, ISCA.

Other than that.....naaa, don't know anything.....oh yea, Andy Cryer, Troy's dad (credits on last page) obviously was there...

Thanks for sending.....that was cool
    Skot"

Lots of very cool cars. Perhaps you will remember other cars and if the owners/cars are still around. I know the green T with the blower motor was owned (and likely still is owned) by Harry & Ann Arrington of Arkansas. Harry taught me how to water ski behind a john-boat with stick steering in the early 80s at Tablerock Lake (He also took me for a 100mph+ ride in his Blown, Big Block Chevy powered, V-Drive racing boat...that was a heck of a rush for a 12 year old).

I also remember visiting the man's home once who owned the yellow '34 Fordor when he lived in Houston. Although I was only 4-5 years old, I can still remember his garage and the yellow sedan inside.

Anyway...enjoy. I hope you can recognize some of these cars and tell more of the story. Thanks Skot for the history lesson!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JpjsU5jl_Xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. bonesy

bonesy

That is so cool. Thanks for posting it.

3. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

Updated...Thanks D.W. and Skotz for the help!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

For some reason when someone posts a screen with the red arrow in the middle nothing happens when I click on it. I don't know if my computer blocks it or what, but if they post the link then I can open it, :confused:

Don

5. Cool. I dig the bongos.

6. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

7. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Great video! Lots of T-buckets.

8. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks for re-posting, TROY. For the record, Blake is 'BLAKE' here on the HAMB :)D)... DW is a whole different Yay-Hoo!

That video and SKOTZ both rule.

9. The yellow 32 "Tweety Bird" was a constant contender at Caddo Mills in the early 60's
    ..... a beautiful car ...

10. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

That's awesome, thanks for sharing. My grandfather was a teenager when this was shot. :D

11. Back To The Top " With Tweety Bird "

12. Coolest thing i've seen all day!

13. seatex

seatex

DAMN that was cool! Back when Lago Vista was WAY out in the sticks!

14. This is pretty amazing, watching this video and saw our car in the this run.. it is the green bucket with the white roof... it has not changed from this video... any info, and or history would be amazing...

Attached Files:

Movinman likes this.