Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage dragster trailers and haulers.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just wondering if any of ya'll have any tips on building old vintage styled drag car haulers? Radshit I know you have pics of that cool flathead digger on the trailer....

I was planning on building a lowboy, open pit trailer, single axle for the Fly. The car hauler I have is nice but it prolly weighs in around 2,000 lbs. I need something small and light to pull behind the soon to be shop truck.

Trailer builders what is the formula for axle placement?

Thanks

Root

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Root,
    Take a tip from boat trailer builders. Axle behind center, Adds tounge weight and cuts down on "whipping".

3. Killer

Killer

someone from here posted this for me when I asked the same question awhile back....

"Had an old trailer builder tell me a long time ago the formula he used for axle location on trailers. He said to locate the center of the axle on a single axle trailer 1 inch back from the center of the bed for every foot of bed length. Use the same formula for twin axle trailers only put the center of the two axles 1 inch back for every foot of bed length. I've built single and double axle trailers using these dimensions for years and always end up with good pulling trailers.
    As you know where you locate the load on a trailer also effects how it handles, each tow vehicle trailer combination has an Ideal tonge weight, not to difficult to figure out."

4. I've got plans in my head on how I'm going to build a trailer for the BFD. It'll be made out of 4" channel... with two runners for the front tires... single axle, ramps that flip up in the rear. For your car, I'd think along the same lines... maybe a little heavier that mine... those old car haulers have the ramps with the big holes punched in them that look mui-bitchen' and period...

Anywho, when I get started, I'll post pics... for now, here's the one that was at Billetproof:

Sam!

Attached Files:

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cool pic Sam.

I had one that was built in 53 and I let it go with my old altered. It was built out of channel and had 2x4's cut on a 45 degree angle the the tires would drop down in when the car was loaded where it needed to be. That way the car was always in the same spot so that the weight transfer was the same all the time.

6. Mutt

Mutt

Here's a friend's home-made Hauler.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Anyonee have any close up pics or pics without the cars on em?

8. LUKESTER

LUKESTER

ROOT.... Get an old pickup and build a ramptruck!!!!!!!!!!! or better yet a schoolbus!!!!!! LUKESTER

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm the one who posted the axle location information that Killer posted. He stated it just right and I'll only confirm his post.

Frank

10. Mutt

Mutt

Root - Don't know if this will help from the top side. He used two different channels - narrow for the front wheels, and wide for the slicks. The frame was small tubing with a truss for side support and axle mounting. He also made the taillight fixture to slide into the pushbar tube, which gives clearance during loading. He towed this from Florida to Ohio without a problem. If you want more pictures let me know and I'll search my stash. I know I have more of them from different angles, but don't think I have any of it unloaded.

Dan

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah that's a good pic. I wonder about the spring setup. How did he get it to sit that low?

12. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

this is not a very good picture, but the trailer was built in 60-61. i fact the trailer is still with the old 555 roadster. it is in line for a redo after ther 555!

Attached Files:

unclescooby likes this.
  13. Radshit

Radshit

Here is the pic of my truck and the dragster ..I can take more better pictures for you...hehe

Attached Files:

14. OutLaw

OutLaw

Hey Bob, Thats such a cool picture. wish I could find that in field down by my house [​IMG]

15. This is a neat thread!

It's getting me stoked to build a trailer for the BFD.

Keep the pics coming!

Sam!

16. Mutt

Mutt

Roothawg - I just talked to Billy, and he said he used a dropped axle and springs he got from a trailer parts place. Told them the weight he wanted, and they gave him the setup. He mounted the axle on top of the spring to help lower it. The front to back truss setup has a bolt in connector under the axle to make it easier to remove the axle if necessary and the springs are mounted outside the truss. He said he put the diamond plate in later because the car was getting too much road trash on trips. Said the materials cost him about $600 8 years ago, less the diamond plate.

I'll probably be going to Ocala to visit him in the next few weeks, and I can get underside pictures if you like.

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Shoot yeah!! Bring on the pics....I didn't know they made dropped trailer axles..

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is the pic of my truck and the dragster ..I can take more better pictures for you...hehe

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do....this time don't use a Polaroid.

19. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

northern tool sells all kinda trailer parts- all kinds of axles (dropped and all)

20. av8

av8

Track-roadster trad dictated a trailer based on a 10-foot section of 10-12 inch diameter steel well casing flame cut into a couple of channels, connected however the fabricator saw fit. Springing was an option.

This scheme was also popular with many drag cars as flat towing lost favor. It's hard to determine in the picture, but I've been told by one of the guys involved that the Petaluma Pacers trailer for thier roadster was a "well-casing" trailer.

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mike I was thinking of using 4"U channel to help track the frt tires and maybe use a 1" box tubing with sheetmetal just wide enough to track the rear slicks. Hard to explain ....easy for me to envision.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

23. wayfarer

wayfarer

Root, I just found these pictures in the Nov. '62 issue of Car Craft in their coverage of Bonneville. I thought you might be interested. The first one has the car on plywood wheels to clear the extra engine in the trailer:
    [​IMG]

24. wayfarer

wayfarer

25. wayfarer

wayfarer

On the back of a flatbed:
    [​IMG]

26. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

how the heck they get it up onto that flatbed?

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looks like they stacked all the crap up on the ground to get it up there. [​IMG] Look at the size of the guy on the back of the truck. He probably dead lifted it up there.

Thanks for the pics. Cool stuff.

28. Radshit

Radshit

Here is a better pic of that trailer...for you Root..

Attached Files:

29. Radshit

Radshit

Here it is...

Attached Files:

30. Roothawg

Roothawg