Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage drag boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 25, 2008.

1. DrJ

DrJ

Are you sure you are on the third stone?
    There's a kid's sitcom on on my ABC station.

2. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

3. Deuces

Deuces

OOPS! Sorry guys!!! :eek:...
    I'll change it!!!...

4. Deuces

Deuces

Done!! CBS it is....

5. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Is that "THE" moonshine?? I thought it was in MoonEyes collection? How did you come to get it? I LOVE IT!!

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes it is the original Moonshine. It was on ebay a few years ago and Ralph Whitworth bought it and I got it from him in a car trade deal.

7. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Awesome thread. Im looking for info on a boat that was supposed to be shown at the '65 Fresno Autorama. It's a 65 Meyers wood deck flat bottom with a blown caddilac motor. Any help is appreciated. PM me if you have info or pics.

8. glempan

glempan
    from Sweden

Hello

Heres my boat, a 1969 Howard family ski,427 chevy, original interior and engine,never repainted.I can only recommend everyone to buy one.This is as fun as it gets.

Regards
    Peter

Attached Files:

9. glempan

glempan
    from Sweden

10. BerraTyphoon

BerraTyphoon

Here is a pic of my Nordic 19" Long Deck flat bottom. The pic was shot about 1975 in central Stockholm,Sweden. The boat was powerd by a Chevy LS7. Where is the boat today....
    [​IMG]
    Regards
    Berra

11. I just, this week, got a registration form to register myself/my boat with the N.D.B.A, ( National Drag Boat Association ), and I must admit, I was excited, especially since the two drag boats I maintain are legitimate early sixties N.D.B.A " 100 Mile Per Hour Club" honorees, and one is maybe the earliest historic and original N.D.B.A boat still existing.
    But then, I got to thinking,.....I know the original N.D.B.A has been long since abondoned, so who is/are these people who sent me the registration? There was no mission statement, such as, "our purpose is to further boat drag racing, provide for safety, etc...", and no schedule to meet, or officers of the club, nothing.
    So,...this may end up being nothing more than someone wanting to be a part of some special club, and be it's President. We'll see. I sent my form in, along with historic photos and current photos. My next letter to them will have many questions asked.
    Have any of you raceboat owners out there received a similar request of registration from the N.D.B.A.? Money wasn't asked for, just your name and boat information. Two other guys who raced under former N.D.B.A. colors that I know, also registered , ( so I'm not alone in this ). It just sounds shaky to me.......

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Here's a pic of my friend that we built engines for in the 50's.
    He went on to win championships in several classes.

Attached Files:

• 222F.jpg
      222F.jpg
      File size:
      103.2 KB
      Views:
  13. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Bill Muncey....the MAN!!

14. burbanite

burbanite

Not sure what to make of that, everything came under the banner of the Lucas Oil Drag Boat Racing Series back in early 2009 when most of the sanctioning bodies agreed to unite and adopt the same rules. Maybe this is a group setting up a historic series or register?

15. Burbanite,
    You may be right about that. I intend to look further into this. There's a lot of history and stories in Drag Boat racing. Most people don't know that Keith Black got his feet wet ( no pun intended ) in building engines for boats, for example. There's a lot of history about the Long Beach Marine Stadium, or Ski-Land in Perris Calif.
    Of course, boats are still drag raced today, but it's different, way different today.
    Speaking of how it was, here's a few photos from the Long Beach Motorama a few weeks ago. The photos include Don Edwards Hallett, Bob Garner's Sanger, and my Stevens, all blown gas hydros from the sixties on display. Also included is a very nice wood deck flatbottom, sorry, I didn't get the owner's name, but it is one beautiful piece of work.

Attached Files:

16. BerraTyphoon

BerraTyphoon

Pete1,
    Isn't that a Ted Jones hull? I have had one of his boats for many years. It's still, since 1963.......,the official top speed record holder here in Sweden with about 130 Mph average speed. (111 knots) The boats name is "The Snail".......It's got a nitro set up Chevy 327, Hilborn fuel injektion, Shiefer fly wheel, Mickey Thomson forged pistons and con rods. A true nostalgical engine.

17. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yes, that is a Jones hull..
    Back in those days we furnished most of the shafts, struts and hardware for Ted.

18. BerraTyphoon

BerraTyphoon

I wonder where these awesome boats are today? The pics were shot at Long Beach Marine Stadium 1971. I was invited to drive a boat at the ski races, but I backed out when I realised who the other drivers were&#8230; not to mention who the ski racers were&#8230;..Guys I only had read about in the Hot Rod Mag&#8230;..<O:p</O:p
    My Nordic FB was purchased from Nordic while they still were located in L.A. They mowed later on to Arizona???? If I remember it right. It was a beautiful boat.
    <O:p</O:p

The Ted Jones hydroplane is still equipped with all the hardware parts Pete1 supplied Ted with. The motor came from Dean Moon and Brian Chuchua</SPAN><O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

19. jipp

jipp

thanks for the photos.. iv never been for a ride in one of these old girls.. just fishing boats, and party barges ie.. pontoon boats. these things look like a lot of fun.. since going any speed on water feels like you are doing 5mph than you are. heh. also, just being a side liner, the women sure like the lines of a big engine sticking out of the back of a little wooden boat that looks fasts sitting still.

chros.

20. Too much stuff

Too much stuff

That is cool! How did this boat end up in Sweden? As many that were built, original boats are hard to find...anywhere!

21. TomWar

TomWar

22. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

This boat was owened by a friend of my dads in the early 70's thru the early 80's in michigan . It went by the name "the Mist" and was owned by Jack & Gordon Henery , and another guy that went by the name Beady eyes...Was the first fuel motor I was ever around and boy did it get me hooked...I believe this pic shows there 392 setup , later they ponied up to a KB 426...that pic appears to be taken at Hollawy resivoir in MI.....Tere used to be quite a few boats from SE mi...the 300 bowl "Guzzler" being another one drove by "pontiac Jack Ostrander". I do remeber dad telling me after they lost there last driver , Jack had people calling for 392 parts , but wouldn't sell parts , wanted everyting to go as a lot....it did...to the scrapman...:mad:....great to see all these cool boats....Shawn[​IMG]

23. BerraTyphoon

BerraTyphoon

Yeah, single pin rules.... But does someone recognize the boats or guys in the pics? As said before, I shot the pics in February or March 1971, if I remember it right......
    Berra

24. Fedman

Fedman

The Summer of 1969, Mara Lake, B.C.
    Me at 10 years old Drivers Seat, first powered Vehicle of any kind that I ever got to drive... It made a lasting impression.
    [​IMG]

25. Hello BerraTyphoon!
    I was enjoying the photos you posted from an early ski race. Very cool. Interesting to me, are the "skid fins' on the cav plates of both of the injected circle flatbottoms. I used to be a member of another boat site, but, there was a guy, I believe he may have been the site's moderator, who thought he was all knowing about everything hot inboard wise. I was blogging about the use of "skid fins", and Mr. Know-It-All came on telling me how they don't work, how he hand made a pair out of the strongest material Nasa had, and his boat bent them with ease, etc, etc. Well, here are your photos showing two Professional racers using them, ( I restored a Hallett long deck circle boat which had them ), and I have Stevens and Sanger catalogs showing varios people using them. So much for "Mr. Circle-Jerk" poo-pooing their useage! Anyway, I politely LEFT that website to leave the un-informed to their own devices.
    Back to your photos, it also appears that the blown blue flat may have been a dragger as well, being that the rudder appears to be a bit shorter ( cut-down), maybe it's just my eyes.

26. If anyone out there is planning to attend the 2012 N.H.R.A. Winternationals at Pomona this Februrary 9 thru 12th, there will be a vintage drag boat display incorporated in the Vintage/Historic drag car Corral, in the pits, this year. This may be the first time any drag boats have appeared at the Winternationals.

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Cool!!!...I'm guessing you'll have your two there?:cool:
    I wish I was coming west for that one!!

28. BigPerm365

BigPerm365

Hey guys...tho't I posted before......Does anyone know & remember "Dept of Water & Power"???? Need info if anyone does. Thanx!!!

29. This isn't really a "vintage" drag boat, and I'm not crazy about jet boats, but this is a shot I took, at Castaic I think, maybe in the 80's (?), of then record holder "Rated X" Blown Fuel Jet. Big Hemi pushed it, this thing ran hard. Sign says 158.17 mph.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  30. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Wow, just a pair of Vans, Levis and a open face helmet and you were ready to race back then!