Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vintage decal pinstripe kits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shakedown St., Jan 12, 2019.

1. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Has anyone ever use those old pinstripe kits that came from the dealership before? I wonder how good the glue would be after 50 years in storage. They show up for sale online once in awhile, much less expensive than aftermarket.

Webp.net-resizeimage.png

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I doubt they would be much good. Probably brittle with age and the glue has probably lost it's stickiness. You could always give it a try, never know, you might get lucky, or they may fall off first trip down the road.....

3. Latigo

Latigo

No way to know where that stuff has been. Sunlight is the enemy and vinyl has been much improved in recent years. I’d take a pass and see what a sign shop has if you want vinyl or just hire a good pinstriper.

4. If it's been stored out of the sun and/or excessive heat, it should be good. I had a 'partial' stripe kit from a '69 Torino GT I used to own (Ford only sold complete kits, leftovers from accident repair) that I used off and on over the years for 'accents'. Finally used it all up 3-4 years ago, still worked fine.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You may have no other choice if you want original stripes for specific vehicles, like say an '87 F150. As far as paying good money for them...

6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Just warm it in the sun before using , after being in a box for so many years , im pretty sure its a bit stiff.

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Hire a real pinstriper . Most of those tape kits were junk when they were new .

Gman0046 and robracer1 like this.