Register now to get rid of these ads!

History VINTAGE CAR CARRIERS WITH PRE '65 AUTOS.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Several truck loads. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  2. All wheel drive tractor. Wonder where it hauls to?

LOST ANGEL and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

3. Can just make out the driver standing behind the cab. "I am SOOOO fired!"

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

The 4 door hardtop on top at the front appears to have the windows down in the rain. What's up with that? :eek:

C. John Stutzer and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. I didn't even notice that!,bet he never lost it in the snow covered roads. HRP

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  6. Something else I just noticed, is that tractor/trailer combo is using a form of "stinger steer", where a tag axle is added on behind the drivers and the trailer mounts to a pivot on the tag.

I worked for an outfit called "Lakeside Fabricating & Engineering, and we built new haulers and retro-fitted older haulers.

Let me tell you - there is nothing rustier, greasier, filthier, than a 5-6 year old car hauler.

HOTRODPRIMER and stillrunners like this.
  7. Check this out:

1950_brochure.jpg

8. furrin shi-stuff...

cf66e685-4098-447f-82fb-5810.png

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Is that the first Volkswagen Importer, Reynold C. Johnson standing proudly up there?
    Note the tractor: the heavily modified F6 Ford 'Cab Over'! Was there a 'fleet' of these? Or, same one on the early post?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

10. All I know:

http://forums.aths.org/PrintTopic159337.aspx

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

This weekend only....................BIG scratch and dent sale! :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

13. Danny where you been - that old 56 Chevie trailer full has been circling for toooo long now !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. metalman

metalman

Almost looks like the "Convoy Company" must of had a bunch of converted 49-52 Fords. Maybe they had the trucks converted to their specs after the bought them. Interesting, the one with the Volkswagens looks to be right hand drive but everything else indicates the pic was from here in the states.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I am curious to the make of this truck....the logo "shape'' on the hood looks like a ''White Freightliner'' triangle near the fender turn signal, but I think it's too early a year for that design....anybody know???...I can't figure out that louvered hood at all.... That grille guard is impressive!!! 9737080633_1bccd9d826_b.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Looks like a Brockway.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I believe you are right!!!....that grille guard also came with the truck as an option....thanks man!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bet the driver's butt on this rig was puckering both on the way into the ditch and on the way out too!
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. jroberts

jroberts

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

From what I've read, it was common back then for companies to take their wrecked or worn out trucks and re-body them, often building the bodies in house. That is where the original Freightliner cab overs came from, they were re-bodied Fageol and Dodge trucks, built in house at Consolidated Freightways around 1942 with cabs built from aluminum sheets for lightness. In fact, the US Govt commandeered all of the aluminum from Freightliner during WWII for war production. In 1951 Freightliner entered into a partnership with White Motor Company to sell their trucks through White's dealership network. That lasted until 1974, when Freightliner opened up it's own dealership network. White Motor Company was later bought by Volvo, while Freightliner was purchased by Daimler Mercedes, who still owns it.